Real Estate

Things you wish you added in a lease as a landlord?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 7:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
1943 posts
255 upvotes
Ontario

Things you wish you added in a lease as a landlord?

I'm going to be a first time landlord soon and wnated to get some feedback on items I should add to the lease. My list so far is short - just that they can't hang items on the wall without written approval. Anything I can learn from you long time landlords?
45 replies
Dec 17, 2009
237 posts
151 upvotes
Doesn't Ontario now have a standard lease for all rentals?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8533 upvotes
GTHA
S52B wrote: Doesn't Ontario now have a standard lease for all rentals?
http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page18704.aspx

The standard lease can have additional terms...

Optional additional terms, which allow landlords and renters to agree to terms or responsibilities that are unique to the rental unit.
Additional terms not consistent with a mandatory term of the lease or the RTA, are considered void and unenforceable.
Oct 13, 2011
579 posts
338 upvotes
Because damage deposits are not allowed in Ontario, once you hand them the keys, you're more or less at their mercy.

After they move in, you just hope the references they provide are real people, and they did not pretend to be the good honest people you met when they put in their application. And just budget for at least $2k if not $3k for paints and repairs whenever there is a tenant turnover. After all, not much in the lease is really enforceable unless you have the time and money to chase after them in the small claims court.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2914 posts
2270 upvotes
How are you going to enforce that condition OP? Every time a tenant wants to hang something on a wall he/she has to get written approval to do so? What exactly are you trying to prevent? If you are trying to prevent them putting nails in the wall, perhaps it would be easier for you to leave a bunch of Scotch Command Hooks and ask that they used them.
Oct 19, 2016
649 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
He could enforce it during move out by having the holes fixed and sending the tenants a bill.(assuming he can find them lol)

skeet50 wrote: How are you going to enforce that condition OP? Every time a tenant wants to hang something on a wall he/she has to get written approval to do so? What exactly are you trying to prevent? If you are trying to prevent them putting nails in the wall, perhaps it would be easier for you to leave a bunch of Scotch Command Hooks and ask that they used them.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10325 posts
6594 upvotes
Edmonton
mrtrump wrote: He could enforce it during move out by having the holes fixed and sending the tenants a bill.(assuming he can find them lol)
And the tenant could ignore him, because according to the RTA, that would be considered normal wear and tear. Doesn’t matter what’s in the contract.

C
Oct 13, 2011
579 posts
338 upvotes
I think the best thing that you can do is ADD another $50 to the agreed rent in the lease. So if they move out in a year, you'll have an extra $600 to repairs any holes (large or small) in the wall. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by Rothesay on Jul 20th, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4521 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page18704.aspx

The standard lease can have additional terms...

Optional additional terms, which allow landlords and renters to agree to terms or responsibilities that are unique to the rental unit.
Additional terms not consistent with a mandatory term of the lease or the RTA, are considered void and unenforceable.
What kind of additional items are actually enforceable with the ways the overall rental laws are? You cant take damage deposite, cant stop extra people or pets moving in. Any minor things like holes in the walls you can pretty much forget. what else can landlords enforce?
Feb 24, 2018
65 posts
69 upvotes
Rothesay wrote: Because damage deposits are not allowed in Ontario, once you hand them the keys, you're more or less at their mercy.

After they move in, you just hope the references they provide are real people, and they did not pretend to be the good honest people you met when they put in their application. And just budget for at least $2k if not $3k for paints and repairs whenever there is a tenant turnover. After all, not much in the lease is really enforceable unless you have the time and money to chase after them in the small claims court.
Honest question - what if you ask for a "voluntary" & "totally-not-a-damage-deposit"? If they don't offer, you ignore their application.

In any case, I agree with the other commenter that said to just budget these expenses into an increased monthly rent $.
Oct 13, 2011
579 posts
338 upvotes
happytechnology wrote: Honest question - what if you ask for a "voluntary" & "totally-not-a-damage-deposit"? If they don't offer, you ignore their application.

In any case, I agree with the other commenter that said to just budget these expenses into an increased monthly rent $.
They can pay it at the time of application. But once the lease is signed, they can refer to the RTA and ask you for their money back.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4299 posts
1850 upvotes
Calgary
Ontario

May the lord and mighty help you on your ordeal...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4012 posts
818 upvotes
one of the conditions my realtor added in for ours was that the tenant would pay for the first $100 in repair bills for any kitchen appliances
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10325 posts
6594 upvotes
Edmonton
nx6288 wrote: one of the conditions my realtor added in for ours was that the tenant would pay for the first $100 in repair bills for any kitchen appliances
Which is not enforceable... You (and your realtor) can put in whatever you like. The tenant can even agree to it. But if you try to collect, they'll just run to the LTB and get out of it. And it will cost you however much it is for filing with the LTB to find that out.

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
9826 posts
5135 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: And the tenant could ignore him, because according to the RTA, that would be considered normal wear and tear. Doesn’t matter what’s in the contract.

C
So you admit tenants can do as they please. Even if they don’t comply with the lease or the law for that matter?

OP make sure your price takes the rental caps into consideration. Don’t negotiate on the price either.

Charge a key/fob deposit as well. Put that in the lease. Also that they agree to follow condo rules. No smoking. If anyone else moves in you are to be contacted first for approval.

At the end of the day you really can’t enforce anything. Just put enough stuff in there to either scare them into doing the right thing or show them that you’re a right ass. No free rides.

Hope for the best and do a top notch screening job.