• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2011 1:41 am
Tags:
None
Jan 30, 2007
86 posts
Vancouver

Think my video card died?

Checked my computer as fragile baggage on Air Canada to get it down to the States for school, and when I got there, hooked everything up, and turned it on, the graphics were horribly messed. Looked like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wDwQi.jpg

Think it's the video card? One of the ports on the card wouldn't give a signal, and the other one gave the above output. Switched to the other DVI port on the monitor, and also switched PCI-E slots, but still the same.

Does this sound like a video card problem, or something else? I don't have any spare parts to swap it out with, so I'd have to buy new stuff so a misdiagnosis would be a pain. Any help would be appreciated!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Did you make sure that moisture didn't get in there when you packed it? Yeah it looks like a problem with the card.
Jan 30, 2007
86 posts
Vancouver
crowTrobot wrote: Did you make sure that moisture didn't get in there when you packed it? Yeah it looks like a problem with the card.

Yeah, pretty sure everything was dry (hasn't rained in Vancouver for a while haha). Guess I'll pick something up at Fry's tomorrow.

On that note, any suggestions on what to get? I haven't been keeping up with the newest stuff. This was an ATI 4890 from ~2 yrs ago, would like to get something that is an improvement. Going into a rig with a i7 920. Guess my budget is $150-200?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
henryt wrote: Yeah, pretty sure everything was dry (hasn't rained in Vancouver for a while haha). Guess I'll pick something up at Fry's tomorrow.

On that note, any suggestions on what to get? I haven't been keeping up with the newest stuff. This was an ATI 4890 from ~2 yrs ago, would like to get something that is an improvement. Going into a rig with a i7 920. Guess my budget is $150-200?

6870s would fit your budget nicely.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)