Thinking of 2008 VW Rabbit for $3400 but has fender and door rust

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2019 11:13 am
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote

Thinking of 2008 VW Rabbit for $3400 but has fender and door rust

Hey guys so I’m looking at a 2008 VW rabbit 2.5 L and it is in very good condition with 160 000 KM for mileage, and brand new summer tires from Canadian Tire and all for 3400$ which is perfect. However, it has door and fender rust and I’ve heard that VW covers rust for 12 years, is that true? Its just that i’m a student and my budget is quite limited
11 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11760 posts
11374 upvotes
Oakville
Rust warranty is typically only for perforation (ie, you can see right through it).
Body rust isn't a big issue if it's controlled. If you're worried, have it inspected by a good independent mechanic.
BTW, those 2.5L rabbit engines sucked. Not much power and terrible MPG.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
engineered wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:23 pm
Rust warranty is typically only for perforation (ie, you can see right through it).
Body rust isn't a big issue if it's controlled. If you're worried, have it inspected by a good independent mechanic.
Yeah, I've read about it and that's why I'm talking to a guy selling a '07 GTI, more power and better MPG
I just want that car because I really like it and I've read that it is very reliable
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3173 posts
1173 upvotes
GTA
How bad is the rust? Going untreated, it just gets worse. $3400 sounds like the vehicle is selling as is but you can always try to negotiate and then go and body shop and have them fix the rust.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1385 upvotes
???
If there’s underbody rust and it’s perforated it won’t pass safety. Just a heads up.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Got it checked by a mechanic, no underbody rust, no perforation but if it is let like that there will be perforation and everything passed at the mechanic’s shop
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5016 upvotes
IF the door and/or fender rust was caused by chipped or scratched paint then no the rust will not be covered under warranty. Also if any of those parts were involved in previous accidents or acts of vandalism then they won't be covered either--the rust may well have come on due to a poor quality repair of such damage. Warranty or not, I'd tend to just stay away from cars with rust altogether, unless you're just buying it as a beater and don't care that much about the rust.

The GTI will be a lot more fun but there's probably a bunch more concerns you would have on a GTI... An 07 will have the older BPY/EA113 motor in it. That's not a bad thing but you have to be aware of a couple things--timing belt needs to be replaced at specified intervals, cam follower is an issue and should also be inspected regularly (at every oil change at a minimum) and replaced as necessary. The belt itself is not actually an issue but it does require replacement at the specified intervals. If you're looking at one with a DSG, be aware that 07-11 models could have issues with their Mechatronics unit--these were covered under a TSB and warranty extension but I can't remember for how many kms it was. If there was an issue it's likely the previous owner(s) would have had it replaced by now but some cars would never be as good as they should have been, even after the replacement. If there are no DSG issues to speak of you would be fine but keep in mind there is a fluid change interval and the change is somewhat expensive due to the cost of the fluid. If you're looking at the regular manual trans then these things would not be of concern at all.

An MY09+ GTI would get you the newer CCTA/CBFA (EA888) motor which did away with the problem cam follower system and the timing belt...but then you have the problem that Audi really messed up the chain system design here--the early tensioner (up until MY13 cars) was a time bomb, and the chain could also stretch--ugh. MY13 and later cars would have a newer tensioner and chain, but then we're getting into much newer (and higher priced) cars. There is also a warranty extension on this moronic chain and galactically stupid tensioner in the US, though I'm not sure if it's yet official in Canada.

A final note: all Mk5+ GTIs have direct-injected engines. Over time they are subject to carbon buildup in the intake ports and valves. This is unavoidable. This should probably be cleaned every 50,000-80,000km or so and the intake manifold has to come off in order to clean it. I can imagine there's a lot of them on the used market that have never been cleaned, so you may want to see if there's service records for previous carbon cleanup.

The Rabbit/Golf may be a better bet for you as there are probably less maintenance items to look at and this is especially true if you're not DIYing your maintenance/services. But again, I'd try to find one without rust if possible.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1470 posts
520 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:23 pm
Actually they were great engines, they got as good of mileage as the big 4 cyl. competitors but with an extra cylinder. For the time they made decent power. Audi is still using it in a few models, albeit with a turbo.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2462 posts
2480 upvotes
Vancouver
It got worse fuel economy than a comparable 2.5L Sentra, and it's not the same engine as a TT-RS/RS3.

It does sound good though, I'll give it that.
Feb 15, 2019
42 posts
45 upvotes
froesesp wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 10:15 pm
Actually they were great engines, they got as good of mileage as the big 4 cyl. competitors but with an extra cylinder. For the time they made decent power. Audi is still using it in a few models, albeit with a turbo.
Disagree, family had one, power of a N/A 4 cylinder but gas consumption of a big V6 and that thing sounded terrible and had poor nvh
Dec 6, 2005
365 posts
12 upvotes
Concord
I had a 2008 Rabbit. Bought it with 58k and sold it at around 100k.
VW does their rust warranty pretty well. My hatch had rust around the emblem and tail light area, and they warrantied it without an issue. The fenders had rust too, but because I repaired it myself (without knowing there was a rust warranty), they didn't fix it, which is understandable.

I had zero issues with the powertrain. The 2.5 is ancient technology, it's heavy, slow, and got terrible mileage. With the 5 speed manual it would rev at 3000rpm going 110 km/h. I does sound good though as its a 5 cylinder.

Oil changes were also a pain. I had to poke the oil filter housing to drain the oil, then risk cracking the housing cus it's plastic. Whereas all other cars just used a regular ol' oil filter. If I was to keep the car I definitely would've gotten the billet filter housing. VW also has their own special tools that you might have to get if you decide to go with them.

In the end though, if you think its a good looking car, and you like driving it, then just get it, but be prepared to spend a bit more on gas and maintenance items.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1470 posts
520 upvotes
Layover wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 5:52 am
Disagree, family had one, power of a N/A 4 cylinder but gas consumption of a big V6 and that thing sounded terrible and had poor nvh
Same, the mileage was very similar to the big 4 cyl's, and similar power bit it sounded way better. I got to drive it quite a bit. I never understood the bad rap. The mileage was good for a 2.5l 5 cyl.