Home & Garden

Thinking about a hot tub. Where should I start?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 3:40 pm
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
677 posts
119 upvotes
Oshawa

Thinking about a hot tub. Where should I start?

Hey Folks....

Thinking about putting a hot tub in. Likely not until next summer but thought I would start reading and educating myself. The tub will be for 4 people (2 kids 2 adults). I have a decent spot right outside the master bedroom door to our deck. The tub will be on the ground...

Trying to educate myself on true cost of ownership... Sizing, jets, pumps, heaters etc.. What should I be looking for in a tub? One issue I foresee, I have been told you need to drain and fill the tub every 3-4 months? I am on a well and this means I will likely need to get a truck in to fill it. Whats the running rate for a tub worth of water?

Installation should not be a problem. It will be right behind my garage and my fuse panel is in the garage. A little pony panel and big breaker and I can run it to where it needs to be. I plan on putting in a cement pad for it likely. Again easy enough...

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!
3 replies
Jan 14, 2007
382 posts
48 upvotes
GTA North
Go for a tub which is well insulated. I went Beachcomber 580 SE Hybrid after much research. Bigger is better. Kids will grow.
Options: I love the foot massage feature on ours as do the kids. Built in lights are nice, waterfall ok, stereo is nice (all extras included in Special Edition) but I find I can get along just fine with Bluetooth speaker as I don't need to bring my phone outside. Wet test the ones you are interested in.

You suggest you will place it outside your bedroom. This is good if you don't mind people coming through your room to use the tub (maybe there is other access) don't have others using tub while you sleep (kids will get older).

Hydro cost an extra maybe $40 per month running without any turn-down in temp at 102 all the time and always filter running. Also run all year. and gets used probably at least 5 times a week.

Water I change twice a year. Can't comment on cost of trucked in water but its approx 1700L and takes under an hour to fill with garden hose. Clean filter every two weeks (I have an extra and just swap it every other time).

Chemicals: I use chlorine pucks which lasts about 7 days because I got tired of trying to maintain it daily. Also shock and PH plus seem to keep it in balance once a week.

Sounds like you have the right idea for the foundation and running the Hydro.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
677 posts
119 upvotes
Oshawa
IMHIP2 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:54 pm
Go for a tub which is well insulated. I went Beachcomber 580 SE Hybrid after much research. Bigger is better. Kids will grow.
Thanks for the info.....

Any idea how to tell they are insulated well? That seems like it would be the biggest factor affecting cost of ownership... The few that I have peeked at all seem to advertise how good they are... Hell my Ford F150 I drive has adds telling me is Very fuel efficient.. At least with fuel efficiency I can compare a number.

We do have other access to the deck/tub. There is also a kitchen entrance another 15' away.. Everyone gets to use that door :-) Foot massage sounds wonderful. I am at the gym a fair bit the last few years, between that and running I am in continuous pain.. Looking forward to a tub.

Any reason you leave yours set to 102 all the time? Just for ease of use, always ready to go?

You also say bigger is better... I wonder how much size impacts cost of operation?

Thanks again for the input!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
669 upvotes
Go to a shop and try them...

To be honest, we had zero interest in a hot tub. Then we saw the swim spas. They are twice as long and deeper...so it became something for us to consider as we would get far more use out of it as a family. We happily put our kids out there throughout the winter! We can also swim against it for exercise...