Home & Garden

Thinking about a hot tub. Where should I start?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 3:41 pm
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
699 posts
121 upvotes
Oshawa
Did some reading on Hydrogen Peroxide. Sounds like the way to go. There has to be some negatives to it, but as far as I can see I would not go any other way.

We have a Beachcombers store in our town. I will poke in maybe this weekend...
Apr 6, 2008
348 posts
101 upvotes
In regards to water use...you're in luck being on a well as you don't pay for it. I'm on a well as well. I can drain, clean and refill my tub in about 2-3 hours...and this isn't using any pump and using a garden hose to refill it. Old water you can just dump on the grass. Our tub came with the house and it's about 10 years old but we really enjoy it, especially when it gets super cold in the winter. Hydro bills are a bit more in the winter (doesn't cost much in the summer as it's just a pump that cycles, heats from the sun mostly), but it's nothing crazy.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3205 posts
82 upvotes
I'm considering one as well. Besides the cost of the tub (looking at the Evolution ones from Costco), I'm trying to gauge costs. So far it's $40/mth for hydro. How much does it cost for water, chemicals, cleaning, filter, jets, etc? I know that it will depend on the type of tub, but I'm trying to ballpark costs yearly/monthly
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
699 posts
121 upvotes
Oshawa
fusion2k2k wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 11:37 pm
In regards to water use...you're in luck being on a well as you don't pay for it. I'm on a well as well. I can drain, clean and refill my tub in about 2-3 hours...and this isn't using any pump and using a garden hose to refill it. Old water you can just dump on the grass. Our tub came with the house and it's about 10 years old but we really enjoy it, especially when it gets super cold in the winter. Hydro bills are a bit more in the winter (doesn't cost much in the summer as it's just a pump that cycles, heats from the sun mostly), but it's nothing crazy.
My luck may not be great unfortunately. My well water is not great, we have Iron Bacteria in the water. I need to do some research before I would put it in the tub. I think it will be ok though... The recommended solution for me is a hydrogen peroxide injector to kill the bacteria, so going into the hottub with hydrogen peroxide at a much higher level then what we would drink should kill everything :-).. More research required.
tigger03 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:25 pm
I'm considering one as well. Besides the cost of the tub (looking at the Evolution ones from Costco), I'm trying to gauge costs. So far it's $40/mth for hydro. How much does it cost for water, chemicals, cleaning, filter, jets, etc? I know that it will depend on the type of tub, but I'm trying to ballpark costs yearly/monthly
I have not looked to closely at all the costs... Hydro was my main concern. $40 a month for cooler months. For warmer months I think it would drop a lot from that. I may even close mine for the peak summer months as I don't see using it to much or being around to use it.

Water if you are on municipal water is 1600L seems to be average size for a 6-8 person tub. Figure out what your rate is and multiply. Seems like changing the water every 4 - 6 months is the going number. Filter from what I am reading are about $40 each but should be replaced every 18-24 months. Some systems have 1 filter some have 2. Chemicals looks like a $180 for 5 gallons of Hydrogen Peroxide and some test strips. This should last a couple years I think...

So annually
Water - $12 (based on Durham Region rates with 2 fills and some guessing on my part)
Chemicals - $200 (should cover 2 years and some extra test strips)
Filters - $80 (worst case changing 2 filters every year)
Hydro - $480 (based on $40 a month.. I think it should be a bit less though)
------
Total - $772 a year

Might be missing something...
Jul 3, 2017
378 posts
207 upvotes
Bedpan wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 9:01 am
Might be missing something...
Entirely missing maintenance, such as a new cover every 10 years, parts and service.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4212 posts
442 upvotes
Calgary
Is Costco the "de facto best deal" for a hot tub or do local specialty shops provide just as good/better pricing?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
699 posts
121 upvotes
Oshawa
Cough wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:33 pm
Is Costco the "de facto best deal" for a hot tub or do local specialty shops provide just as good/better pricing?

I have not shopped around for price yet. Still educating myself.. I like the idea of Beachcomber. They seem to have a great reputation and for me there is one 5 minutes from the house.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1896 posts
390 upvotes
Nunavut
Cough wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:33 pm
They have some of the better prices for what I believe are mid-grade hot tubs, wait for a sale! The better brands can charge more because they do offer better quality components, features and on going support, even though the prices are still very inflated

It's a balance you have to decide for yourself, spend more for more piece of mind/quality/features or spend less and accept that you may have maintenance issues happening earlier than expected (broken jets, broken seals, pump burn out, etc), and not all the nifty upgrades, smooth tub finish etc.

Strong Hot Tubs makes the Evolution Spas line specifically for Costco, Strong makes decent tubs but I believe the Evolution line is a bit like a 'value' product for them.. kind of like how Rogers is to Fido

If you want, try doing some reading on the popular hot tubs forums such as https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum

If you shop around, make sure you are educated in what falls into the same class as Evolution.. just so you are comparing apples - apples, because Evolution != Beachcomber
Jul 24, 2017
18 posts
10 upvotes
OP we purchased a hot tub recently after doing extensive research. There is a a lot of great info at the link below. The administrator helped us choose the make. We went with a Master Spa Healthy Living model which we purchased in the GTA.
There is a review of the beachcomber on the site.
http://www.hottubuniversity.com/

BTW you need to budget for the dedicated electrical outlet and the ESA inspection which could add atleast 1k (probably higher) to your budget.
Jul 5, 2004
22243 posts
2126 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:15 am
Entirely missing maintenance, such as a new cover every 10 years, parts and service.
Could easily be a lot less than 10 years. I had a cover only last about 4 years because I didn't take care of it. You're right about parts though, these things can get expensive quickly.

You may also need other chemicals to adjust the PH, alkalinity and calcium hardness
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2042 posts
1047 upvotes
There are lots of manufacturers of hot tubs... but the best made tubs for our Cdn climate are Arctic Spa out of Alberta. They have the strongest made tubs in the biz with the best insulation... that protects your tub from our severe weather but also keeps operating costs extremely low. Plus Arctic Spa Tubs are fully adjustable when it comes to temperature... so you can set it hot for the winter months and cooler in the summer as more of a plunge pool with jets (or have it fluxuate between the two... plunge pool by day & hot tub by night)

Arctic Spas are not cheap... but they are EXTREMELY WELL MADE, so they will last for decades when you treat them right. Plus Arctic Spa knows that so they promise to always make parts to maintain them... other manufacturers tend to change their models and then you got to scrounge replacement parts.

My best advice go see an Arctic Spa Dealer (bring your bathing suits) and try one out... then compare it to everything else out there...IMO there is nothing that compares period.

As for costs... we run our 8x8 tub year round, and figure it costs us less than $ 40 a month all in (water fills, chemicals, electricity). We use Spa Marvel for water treatment and chlorine mini pucks with Silver Sentinel Filters. We change the water 3x a year (our choice) with Spa Marvel we could easily go 6 months and only change the water Spring & Fall, but because it doubles as a plunge pool it gets more of a work out in the summer than in the winter. In the winter we are in it 4 or 5 times a week on average, while in the summer we are in it at least 2x a day... plus it’s popular when we have backyard parties.

We love our Hot Tub and wonder why we did not buy it sooner.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13220 posts
681 upvotes
As mentioned above it is always a good idea to try out the tub....sit in it at least, you'd be surprised that subtle differences can make the seating experience not work for you (or be spectacular).

We have the Arctic Spas Epic Ocean--so for us, far more useful with the kids. Love the increased depth as well.

Some things to mention:
Arctic Spas have their filter tied in with the heater meaning that if you lower the temperature to much in the summer, you can potentially find that your tub will not automatically filter. One of the fixes is to get vented panels on the tub.
We love the salt system - but do have to add shocks...especially in heavy use with the boys.
Remote monitoring is great!

When Raccoons destroyed our tub, we made sure that we got a replacement Arctic Spa through insurance...none of the others fit our needs.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
699 posts
121 upvotes
Oshawa
Would love to get the tub installed before Snow flies. Alas with the season upon us to busy with life to attack this... So likely a spring project now. Works out ok I can start Shopping in February... Maybe some good deals :-)