• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2018 11:35 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes

Thinking of a Career Change

Respected Red Flag Guru's
I need some useful and honest advice. I have been struggling to get into my field of studies for almost 2.5 years now. I do part time jobs on weekends and have been doing some part time HR (My field) job in an organisation. It is getting really difficult to pay the bills and am seriously thinking of doing some skills training such as HVAC course. I am in my mid 40's.
Please advice if the HVAC is the right choice. A local college is offering one year course with the G1 and G2 certification and I have been told that with those certifications I'll be equipped to work on my own and at least earn a decent income to start with.
[*]Is it important to get it done from some reputed university or college as all of them run the same course for at least 2 years with summer vacations and breaks included. Please recommend good college in GTA.
[*] is the trade in demand and does it have sustainability?
any suggestions and advises, if the path/ choice I am planning to make is appropriate or otherwise.
thanks
8 replies
Mar 20, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
HVAC is trades meaning working a blue collar job. Mostly people that I have come across do sales related desk job or work outside in the field which requires being able to lift weights outside in cold weather. I don't see where you are located but it is a hot trade in general. There are some other aspects like controls or estimation but those generally are not meant for beginners.

You could search HVAC jobs online in your area and get an idea. This will give you a feeling about the requirements that employers are looking for and if they match with what you would like to do. A lot of HVAC tech jobs are not posted so you could actually call a few employers and talk to them to help you with that too. If you just contact the intended school they are there to get more students and not really interested in you so you need to do your homework.
May 15, 2008
132 posts
7 upvotes
If your in the Toronto/GTA area, Centennial College has a new Refrigeration and Air Conditioning systems mechanic (313A) program which includes co-op. Program starts next September.

Assuming if you don't have any experience in HVAC, this is a very good program to get some foundational knowledge on HVAC. Most importantly, the program has co-op.
Nov 3, 2007
822 posts
41 upvotes
Cambridge
I did HVAC for many many years
you're getting up there in years for it really
unless your're in a union you'll go from pillar to post
Cambridge,Ontario
Jan 12, 2017
414 posts
491 upvotes
YK
if you still like HR, would you commute for a full time job?
i KNOW there are full time positions but you may have to travel 40 to 60 minutes by car to the job
just a thought
[OP]
May 9, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
Yes, would be eagerly commute if given an chance.
Jul 27, 2015
308 posts
98 upvotes
British Columbia
Jimmykhan wrote:
May 10th, 2018 12:22 pm
Respected Red Flag Guru's
I need some useful and honest advice. I have been struggling to get into my field of studies for almost 2.5 years now. I do part time jobs on weekends and have been doing some part time HR (My field) job in an organisation. It is getting really difficult to pay the bills and am seriously thinking of doing some skills training such as HVAC course. I am in my mid 40's.
Please advice if the HVAC is the right choice. A local college is offering one year course with the G1 and G2 certification and I have been told that with those certifications I'll be equipped to work on my own and at least earn a decent income to start with.
[*]Is it important to get it done from some reputed university or college as all of them run the same course for at least 2 years with summer vacations and breaks included. Please recommend good college in GTA.
[*] is the trade in demand and does it have sustainability?
any suggestions and advises, if the path/ choice I am planning to make is appropriate or otherwise.
thanks
Dont let age stop you from achieving something.
Getting into a trade can be overwhelming in the beginning. Takes a month to get your body adjusted. Then you should be okay.. I just got into the construction industry (plumbing) @ the age of 32. It can be physical @ times. Carrying stuff up and down each floor. Working out in the hot heat or freezing cold (I haven't experienced it yet) but once you know what your doing. Its actually not that hard.

I met a young guy and told him I was changing careers. He said his uncle who was 40 make a change into plumbing also. His uncle said it was the best thing he did. Due to the pay.
So why not give it a try. I wouldn't go to school though. Try to get a company to hire you. Might be hard since your in your kid 40s. Keep trying. Took me 5 months before I found a company to hire me.

If u want. You can PM me

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)