• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2018 8:30 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2014
545 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Thinking of a career switch - not sure where to start

So I've been with my current employer since 2009. I'm in Sales for networking equipment. I enjoy the job and it has a lot of great perks. One of those is working from home, so I'm a spoiled and have no interest in going to an office.
I'm just getting bored with the same product, same customers, same routine. Plus I haven't gotten a raise in those 9 years. The commission rate has always been the same and there is only so much that I can sell a month so I think that I am hitting my peak / cap.
I'm not sure if I want to stay in this kind of business but I am almost 50, so there is the looming retirement questions too.. I'm sure that I can put another 10 years or more in with this company easily.

I do have other sources of income but this job is my main one and the T2200 at the end of the year provides a nice return as well.

Just wondering out loud what options are available or looking for advice from people who aren't friends / family. All of them say to stay btw.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6239 posts
3396 upvotes
Edmonton
Think about your interests and what you might like to do. Otherwise people will be throwing out random short term career ideas, with little hope of hitting a mark.

C
Dec 28, 2010
383 posts
124 upvotes
I went back to school in 2014, went back to college -although I already graduated 104 years ago. I have been in sales and customer service as well but started to hate the pushy mentality of making enough sales. I went into accounting. No one hires an almost 50 years old student, I found that out. Well, no one ever hires a 27-year-old or even a 19 years old student for that matter. But I took on some extra courses (CPA) and slowly floated in the right direction. Last year I was hired in a general bookkeepers job. Then I went to work with a tax consultant for the season (loved that!) and recently I was hired at a big company in accounting. That's where I am now. I love it. It wasn't easy but if you stick with it (and most likely some courses or going back to school is going to be part of the equation) you'll manage.
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5167 posts
1075 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
With sales experience, first comes to mind but are very hit and miss are:
- Real estate agent
- Mortgage broker
- Car sales
- Auto financing

Some people make as much as $200,000/year, while others are lucky to see $40,000.

Otherwise, don't see a job for someone else as the only way ! Why not just keep saving money, investing it, and live off an investment portfolio ?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1911 posts
276 upvotes
At 50, I'm curious what kind of companies/industries you think will be interested in you at this point? Hate to be harsh, but unless you bring a very unique/specialized set of skills, a 50 year old's resume is going to the bottom of the pile in most cases. At this point I think your family/friends are right - I'd just ride out this current gig as long as possible.
Oct 5, 2016
36 posts
12 upvotes
winner2000 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 8:32 pm
At 50, I'm curious what kind of companies/industries you think will be interested in you at this point? Hate to be harsh, but unless you bring a very unique/specialized set of skills, a 50 year old's resume is going to the bottom of the pile in most cases. At this point I think your family/friends are right - I'd just ride out this current gig as long as possible.
Top Employers for Canadians Over 40
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
124 upvotes
Markham, ON
How much time do you spend working at home? How busy are you at home with work? You said you are spoiled at home so what do you do at home? There you go career change at home at 50.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1911 posts
276 upvotes
flavious99 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 4:07 am
Top Employers for Canadians Over 40
If you've ever attempted to qualify for any of these lists, you'd know they're complete garbage. And this still doesn't really refute my point that a 50 year old is substantially less desirable today without specific/special skills.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)