Automotive

Thinking of getting a magnetic car mount - anyone use them?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 7:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9514 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto

Thinking of getting a magnetic car mount - anyone use them?

I've got a mount right now that uses spring-loaded clips, but I find it not that reliable.

Thinking about getting a magnetic one for even easier attachment/removal but wondering if anyone else uses those magnetic ones and likes them?

- Have a Google Pixel XL - would have to add the adhesive metal piece. I use a case - should I attach it to the inside of the case or to the phone itself?
- Would this metal plate/attaching it to the mag mount affect GPS/compass?
- Is it just super straightforward to mount horizontal or vertical?
- Anything else to know/consider? It seems like ability to hold the phone SHOULD be a non-issue...
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6263 posts
878 upvotes
T dot 6
I switched from spring loaded to magnets and magnets are way better.

- Have a Google Pixel XL - would have to add the adhesive metal piece. I use a case - should I attach it to the inside of the case or to the phone itself?
> My old phone I attached the metal part to my phone but it was impossible to get off. I tried putting the metal piece inside the case which worked but the connection wasnt the strong and I could easily knock off the phone from the magnet. If you have a thin case, it might work fine. Best to attached the metal to the outside of the case, it will not come off accidentally that way.

- Would this metal plate/attaching it to the mag mount affect GPS/compass?
> I was worried about this after reading some things online but I have no issues with GPS. Never tried the compass.

- Is it just super straightforward to mount horizontal or vertical?
> Yes, you can easily turn it while mounted which is what I do depending on what Im displaying.

- Anything else to know/consider? It seems like ability to hold the phone SHOULD be a non-issue...
> Do it, mounting and unmounting is super easy with magnets. The spring load was annoying to mount, on my old phone it was really annoying as I had to mount it in such a way as to not hit any buttons. With magnet it takes seconds.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3201 posts
656 upvotes
Home
Kaitlyn wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 8:07 am
Does Pixel XL have wireless charging? Wireless charging does not work if you put a metal magnet between the phone and the wireless charger.
It is probably the same for NFC as well. NFC may not work if there's a metal magnet between phone's NFC chip and the terminal/tag/sticker/whatever.
Koodo $40 6GB
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2273 posts
1179 upvotes
Montreal
GPS will be fine, but the metal plate really screw with the compass reading. You can manually calibrate (at least on Samsung phones) the compass but it only last for a few days before reading is all screwy again.

There are good spring mounts that's easy to use and secure, like iOttie.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9514 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:04 am
GPS will be fine, but the metal plate really screw with the compass reading. You can manually calibrate (at least on Samsung phones) the compass but it only last for a few days before reading is all screwy again.

There are good spring mounts that's easy to use and secure, like iOttie.
iOttie is the one I have, and am having problems with. Ha! I have the one touch mini, and when I press it in, sometimes it feels like the clips just don't want to trigger. Other times, only one side seems to release and close in. Other times... it actually works as expected.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2273 posts
1179 upvotes
Montreal
Kaitlyn wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:07 am
iOttie is the one I have, and am having problems with. Ha! I have the one touch mini, and when I press it in, sometimes it feels like the clips just don't want to trigger. Other times, only one side seems to release and close in. Other times... it actually works as expected.
Strange, I never had problem with mine. Is your phone case flat on the back and can depress the button in the center to release the arms?

There's also this new type that works quite well, comes in both vent mount and dash mount. The one I got has the same ball size as iOttie on the back so it can interchange from included vent clip to my iOttie dash mount as well. Search for gravity phone mount on amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gravity-Holder-iP ... hone+mount
Jan 24, 2008
206 posts
20 upvotes
Scarborough
terry0703 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 8:27 am
Does Pixel XL have wireless charging? Wireless charging does not work if you put a metal magnet between the phone and the wireless charger.
It is probably the same for NFC as well. NFC may not work if there's a metal magnet between phone's NFC chip and the terminal/tag/sticker/whatever.
And you are right, GPS was fine but no NFC because of the metallic piece was covering a big part of the battery. So in order for me to use Google pay I had to remove the piece and now I am using just a clamp mount.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17525 posts
1326 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Get either a magnetic mount that goes into your cd tray or attaches to your dash via 3m sticker.

Cd tray can hold your phone without issue, probably a tablet as well.

Overall they work very good.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3489 posts
678 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought the black version of this one and several others of the round type. It has 6 magnets and is notably much stronger in grip than the 4 magnet round types. I would ensure that you get one like this where you can adjust the angle the phone sits at.

Still use it every day. My phone has never fallen off while the vehicle has been in motion and I've had a few potholes and speed bumps catch me by surprise in my SUV (firm ride). It has only come off when I have accidentally hit it with my hand. My metal plate is taped into the back of the case (a Spigen) and it works perfect. I've have no issues with compass or GPS but never use NFC so no comment there. I also bring it with me when I travel on business so I can use Android Auto in rental cars if they do not have it as part of the car's infotainment system.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-Premium-Ma ... B071ZF5TFW

Big question is if you charge using a wireless system - then you cannot use one of these if the plate is on the body of the phone. If taped into the case then you can remove the case to charge or use NFC.

Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
18304 posts
6450 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I don’t have anything of value to add other than this:

Who are the 3 animals that downvoted this thread?
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17525 posts
1326 upvotes
Niagara Falls
woofster wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:01 pm
I'm very interested in a magnetic vent mount phone holder just like this one, too. I will probably get one and then report back here, as my biggest concern is still my phone falling off due to bumps and vibrations.
I'm telling ya, get one of these instead. Way more secure than a vent mount and issues with blocking AC in the summer or heat in the winter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-Magnetic-H ... dpSrc=srch
Jan 13, 2007
167 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Evil Baby wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:07 pm
I'm telling ya, get one of these instead. Way more secure than a vent mount and issues with blocking AC in the summer or heat in the winter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-Magnetic-H ... dpSrc=srch
Those do look much more secure but unfortunately I don't have a CD player in my front center console for this to work.

I'm not crazy about vent mount clips blocking part of the HVAC vent either but I'm willing to put up with it in order to be able to mount my phone during my drive!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)