Tags:
[OP]
Apr 25, 2017
81 posts
51 upvotes

Thinking of getting a Shiba - problem: 60 hour work week

I'm thinking of getting a Shiba.
Can any one help me with some issues I have:
- How much should I expect a puppy Shiba would be?
- I work 9-9, 5 days a week (weekends off). So like 60 hours a week. Is there a way I can work around this schedule? I live 15 minutes from my work places (2 jobs: one 9-5 and the other 5:30-9PM).

Thank you.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4432 posts
2061 upvotes
Edmonton
I would just say no. It's not fair to you or the dog. You're going to spend MAYBE 2 hours a day with it during the week (?), and that's just not enough for any dog. Much less a young pup.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1542 posts
275 upvotes
Markham
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 12:39 pm
I would just say no. It's not fair to you or the dog. You're going to spend MAYBE 2 hours a day with it during the week (?), and that's just not enough for any dog. Much less a young pup.

C
+1. You barely have time for yourself, forget another family member.
Jul 7, 2005
441 posts
67 upvotes
Without time invested into training a Shiba it will make short work of your home and tear it to shreds....
And if you plan to secure this dog for an accumulatated 10-12hrs captive in a cage during the day and some more during sleepy time....now that is just cruelty
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3366 posts
1317 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You should not even consider getting any dog with your long work hours. That isn't even close to enough time to be spending with a dog (let alone a puppy).
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1480 posts
192 upvotes
Markham
Do not get a dog with your work schedule. Case closed!
Banned
Jun 19, 2017
256 posts
180 upvotes
PCUSER wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 8:14 pm
Do not get a dog with your work schedule. Case closed!
confirmed.... don't mess up a dogs life
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9406 posts
1179 upvotes
Toronto
Have you had a dog before? This type of dog is meant for experienced owners who've had a history of disciplined dog ownership. They also require alot of exercise. Basically, they' re like wild dogs. They also tend to turn on their owners if not raised properly. Anybody who has to ask likely is not nearly ready to own one. Especially if you're just going for cute anime look.

It's similar 'cousin' is the Jindo. It's also not for the first time owner, but easier than Shiba as they are much owner oriented. I know a Japanese family that has a Shiba and it's even bitten the owners but the owners accept that as part of owning the dog. I had a Jindo and they are extremely loyal but if you don't know what you're doing, can also be bad. I also took care of a Shiba too and they are far more 'independent' and do not even glance towards their owner for any type of approval that most dogs (including Jindo) do.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3438 posts
384 upvotes
going to have to agree with everyone else here. It will be frustrating for both you and the dog. You won't have time to train it which is just going to make you lose your patience with it when it does something you don't want.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1636 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 7:29 pm
Sounds like you need a cat!
OR research different dog breeds... Screw how cute they look. Find a temperament that matches you.
Do you have a gf/bf/partner/family to help out? IT works better that way =)
even a cat can be demanding! at least mine was.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4432 posts
2061 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for ANY breed of dog, if there's no people or interaction with it for 12 hours per day, 5 days a week, it won't be a good situation. Bored dogs are destructive dogs, and they'll develop their own bad habits (barking, urinating or chewing on your stuff, etc). MAYBE you could get by with an old dog that sleeps 12 hours a day anyway, but even then... Why get a dog if you're not going to be around to interact with it? Because you're lonely for those 2 waking hours a day and on the weekend? Seems selfish to me...

Cats, I could possibly see. Especially if you got a pair of them so they would have each other to amuse themselves during the day. But they would probably still trash your place.

C