Thinking of returning my oneplus 5 because I'm worried about Oneplus's attitude

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 5:46 pm
Jan 31, 2011
69 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa

Thinking of returning my oneplus 5 because I'm worried about Oneplus's attitude

Got the oneplus 5 and I am pretty happy with it. There have been a couple of controversies about benchmarks and camera zooms, but I didn't care about any of that. There was a new issue called the "jelly effect" that had come to pass because they mounted the screen upside down. As far as I am concerned, I can't see it. I asked a couple of friends if they could and they claim they can. If that was all, I would have ignored this and moved on.

My problem is in how they responded to people, blaming them and not, even if a lie, reassuring them that they are working on the problem. This gave me a bad feeling, I believe one plus has a bit of a history of ignoring certain problems and it dawned on me that at some point, there may be an issue they refuse to fix that I care about.

Originally, I was comparing between the oneplus and S8... when I did the math, it was always going to be more expensive to get the s8. Even now, before back to school starts, I realized I could get a 2 year contract (BTW, I have never signed up for one since my first phone in 2008) that would cost about the same as what I am doing now at the end of two years (or less if I go with videotron).

I really do like the oneplus 5 phone, but I have had a couple bad experiences in the past that feel eerily similar to how One plus is acting now... I have a couple days left to return and get back 100% of my money. Is this a bad move? Am I being too rash? is there a better way? Is Videotron too good to be true?

Thoughts?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Oneplus market target is people low cost high end phones. Their margins are much slimmer than Apple or Samsung. Thus the service and response will detrimentally be lower than Apple or Samsung can be. Returning your phone won't send the message to them, just know what you are getting from them when you encounter a problem. Going forward if they don't change then your next phone won't be from them.
The difference in price is that for Apple and Samsung, the concept is that you are paying for the next person's phone in case they break it, and the unused profit supplies Samsung and Apple bragging rights, marketing, and customer service.

I'm not in Quebec to judge Videotron but I assume from technical capabilities is that it is quite competitive.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Let me see if I get this straight. There is nothing wrong with your phone but you want to get rid of it on the off chance that if something goes wrong they might act like douchebags?

I wouldn't start worrying until something actually breaks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mr_raider wrote: Let me see if I get this straight. There is nothing wrong with your phone but you want to get rid of it on the off chance that if something goes wrong they might act like douchebags?

I wouldn't start worrying until something actually breaks.
Ditto. I wouldn't worry too.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
danieltoronto wrote: Ditto. I wouldn't worry too.
I RMAed a Oneplus One in 2015 with no headaches. They sent a pickup to my house.

I have a 2nd Oneplus One and I retired this year after 3 years, no issues.
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
implodinghippo wrote: Got the oneplus 5 and I am pretty happy with it. There have been a couple of controversies about benchmarks and camera zooms, but I didn't care about any of that. There was a new issue called the "jelly effect" that had come to pass because they mounted the screen upside down. As far as I am concerned, I can't see it. I asked a couple of friends if they could and they claim they can. If that was all, I would have ignored this and moved on.

My problem is in how they responded to people, blaming them and not, even if a lie, reassuring them that they are working on the problem. This gave me a bad feeling, I believe one plus has a bit of a history of ignoring certain problems and it dawned on me that at some point, there may be an issue they refuse to fix that I care about.

Originally, I was comparing between the oneplus and S8... when I did the math, it was always going to be more expensive to get the s8. Even now, before back to school starts, I realized I could get a 2 year contract (BTW, I have never signed up for one since my first phone in 2008) that would cost about the same as what I am doing now at the end of two years (or less if I go with videotron).

I really do like the oneplus 5 phone, but I have had a couple bad experiences in the past that feel eerily similar to how One plus is acting now... I have a couple days left to return and get back 100% of my money. Is this a bad move? Am I being too rash? is there a better way? Is Videotron too good to be true?

Thoughts?
You have a couple of days to return for a full refund and you are uncomfortable with the phone/company? Then return it before you regret not doing so. That's called buyer's remorse.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Agreed.

Are you even certain you'll keep it long enough that it MAY start giving you problems?

I only know a handful that actually keeps their phones for more than 2 years or had any issues for that matter.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Well, while I don't know what jelly effect is, I have a feeling the resale value will be less if it's not fixed
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
Forget resalle value on such a high specs non mainstream brand.

I know, i used to have an asus zenfone 2 when first release... After one year, nobody wanted it in the whole quebec province for anymore than 60$ because of non support and intel chip, thats for people know about the product, other dont event knew asus or asus making phone.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
dazz wrote: Well, while I don't know what jelly effect is, I have a feeling the resale value will be less if it's not fixed

According to the XDA Developers, the OP5’s jelly scrolling, an effect whereby scrolling through the screen will result in text bunching together and stretching out (the video shows the phenomenon in action), is likely caused by the fact that the smartphone’s display is mounted upside-down.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
implodinghippo wrote: Got the oneplus 5 and I am pretty happy with it.
It is the first time I heard somebody returning an item because of future potential warranty issue
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 7, 2016
237 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
No clue, sorry.

Except for Videotron. I’ve been with them for the longest time and never had an issue. Awesome customer and tech service, products, prices, plans, signal and everything.
Nothing short of amazing. But, that’s my experience. Your mileage may vary.
Please fill out this field.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
tk1000 wrote:

According to the XDA Developers, the OP5’s jelly scrolling, an effect whereby scrolling through the screen will result in text bunching together and stretching out (the video shows the phenomenon in action), is likely caused by the fact that the smartphone’s display is mounted upside-down.

I don't get it. Why would it have the "jello effect' if you mount a screen upside down. It seems like a software issue. Just because you mount a screen the other way, doesn't mean it's going to stretch some parts during certain way of scrolling. This is way too isolated. If this was because of the screen mounted differently, there would be more issues, similar to that effect( eg, during gaming,etc)
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
To tell the truth I'd get out of OnePlus just because they seem like jerks. So far on the OP5 alone we have:
- Jelly scrolling
- The phone apparently has been programmed to recognize benchmarks and always run them in "high performance" mode (e.g. an experience you won't get as an end user)
- Emerging problems with recording stereo audio
- They apparently oversold the dual camera feature (Bokeh-like) and it under performs

And that's just >this< generation of phone. There's also their marketing mis-steps of the past (e.g. telling "beautiful" ladies to send them selfies with the logo drawn on their body). I'd avoid them just because they seem like a company on the way down more than anything else.

That said, if you've already got it, you'll probably beat the odds of anything bad happening to you. Hopefully.
That's my name...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
Personally, I have stayed away from OnePlus since the first one. There are a lot of options out there as the price for these keep going up year over year
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
PuddinTame wrote: To tell the truth I'd get out of OnePlus just because they seem like jerks. So far on the OP5 alone we have:
- Jelly scrolling
- The phone apparently has been programmed to recognize benchmarks and always run them in "high performance" mode (e.g. an experience you won't get as an end user)
- Emerging problems with recording stereo audio
- They apparently oversold the dual camera feature (Bokeh-like) and it under performs

And that's just >this< generation of phone. There's also their marketing mis-steps of the past (e.g. telling "beautiful" ladies to send them selfies with the logo drawn on their body). I'd avoid them just because they seem like a company on the way down more than anything else.

That said, if you've already got it, you'll probably beat the odds of anything bad happening to you. Hopefully.
I love my OP2, but I am starting to agree with all this.

The only issue is, what to buy instead that gives this value of performance : cost
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2158 posts
620 upvotes
Scarborough
I've had multiple issues with OnePlus in the past. I bought a phone as a gift for my boss, and within 3 months his screen got multiple rainbow colours all over at random times. It was notable especially when running any games or 3d applications. It was clearly a hardware defect, but their support team would not take it back for RMA even though it was within the warranty period.

They kept telling be to do a software update, reset and to turn it off and on. I sent them clear pictures showing that the screen was messed up but they refused to switch the phone. Eventually at one point they asked me to install remote troubleshooting software so that their team can remote into the phone and investigate what is wrong. Everything was sent off a basic support script and I just got fed up and gave up after months back and forth. I'll never buy from them again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)