• Mar 20th, 2017 2:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6943 posts
491 upvotes
Markham
umop wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 8:33 pm
Just curious why you're driving instead of flying.
4 tickets of flights is def cost more than few tanks of gas.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3425 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
Iambroke wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 7:06 pm
Also, are there any good outlets and/or shopping malls in the Chicago area?
Magnificent Mile aka North Michigan Avenue...equivalent of Bloor Street in Toronto.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
umop wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 8:33 pm
Just curious why you're driving instead of flying.
MP3_SKY wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 4:20 pm
4 tickets of flights is def cost more than few tanks of gas.
Plus carrying the suitcases, baby stroller, booster seats and taking care of the 2 boys. It's just quite a bit of extra work.

I would rather drive if it can be done.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 9:52 am
I would not drive.

I know a family (four people) that took the train from from Port Huron and loved it. They said it was cheaper than paying for the parking in Chicago.

The train is so relaxing.

I hope that you have a fantastic trip...make some memories!

Sunday, March 12, 2017
Port Huron to Chicago
6:20 am - 11:45 am
6 hr, 25 min
365 Blue Water (Amenities)
4 Reserved Coach Seats
VALUE
2 Adult
$68.00
2 Child
$34.00
4 Reserved Coach Seats
included
Subtotal
$102.00

Saturday, March 18, 2017
Chicago to Port Huron
4:00 pm - 11:38 pm
6 hr, 38 min
364 Blue Water (Amenities)
4 Reserved Coach Seats
VALUE
2 Adult
$68.00
2 Child
$34.00
4 Reserved Coach Seats
included
Subtotal
$102.00
Terms & Conditions Total $204.00

Times may not be optimal, but it will be a long day regardless. Maybe there are other options (Niagara, Buffalo, I didn't look).
Thanks for posting the train info.

We didn't really think of taking the train there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6909 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
In terms of outlet shopping you can ht lighthouse premium outlets in Michigan city it's on your way home

Speed limit is 75 in Michigan and time goes back an hour which I always find makes getting to Chicago a little bit nicer. Of course you gain the hour back on the ride home but still puts you in a bit earlier

If your interested in duty free booze on the way home look up the address as it can be easily missed at least that was the case a few years ago

Great city but make sure you don't stop your car in south Chicago
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16131 posts
815 upvotes
Niagara Falls
GangStarr wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 5:54 pm
In terms of outlet shopping you can ht lighthouse premium outlets in Michigan city it's on your way home

Speed limit is 75 in Michigan and time goes back an hour which I always find makes getting to Chicago a little bit nicer. Of course you gain the hour back on the ride home but still puts you in a bit earlier

If your interested in duty free booze on the way home look up the address as it can be easily missed at least that was the case a few years ago

Great city but make sure you don't stop your car in south Chicago
You don't have to go to a duty free shop to pick up alcohol duty free. You can get it from any store you want, as long as you are within your limits.

As for south Chicago, we made that mistake in the way home late at night, maybe 1am.

My wife really had to go to the bathroom so we stopped at a gas station. When she walked in the cashier asked her where she was from, she said Canada. The cashier said, ah, we don't get whites around here....

We didn't stick around too long, she didn't use the washroom. We just left Chicago and stopped the next town over.
Jun 29, 2010
682 posts
143 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 5:54 pm
I did some research last year, and the least expensive way to get premium booze I wanted was to buy it on the way OUT and, of course, don't drink it on vacation!
EG. 1L Grey Goose @ Port Huron - $29US - ~$38CDN. Same bottle @ Sarnia - $35 CDN.
YMMV for various other intoxicants.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks again everyone for contributing to this thread.

Due to the bad weather, we ended up going to Pittsburgh instead. We left early on Wednesday and it was still pretty bad when we drove through Fort Erie and Buffalo. It was still a nice mini vacation to spend the March break with the kids.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4298 posts
685 upvotes
Markham
Iambroke wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:25 am
Thanks again everyone for contributing to this thread.

Due to the bad weather, we ended up going to Pittsburgh instead. We left early on Wednesday and it was still pretty bad when we drove through Fort Erie and Buffalo. It was still a nice mini vacation to spend the March break with the kids.
Save Chicago for nicer weather like summer as you end up walking a lot there as parking is expensive.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2062 posts
43 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 9:52 am
I would not drive.

I know a family (four people) that took the train from from Port Huron and loved it. They said it was cheaper than paying for the parking in Chicago.

The train is so relaxing.

I hope that you have a fantastic trip...make some memories!

Sunday, March 12, 2017
Port Huron to Chicago
6:20 am - 11:45 am
6 hr, 25 min
365 Blue Water (Amenities)
4 Reserved Coach Seats
VALUE
2 Adult
$68.00
2 Child
$34.00
4 Reserved Coach Seats
included
Subtotal
$102.00

Saturday, March 18, 2017
Chicago to Port Huron
4:00 pm - 11:38 pm
6 hr, 38 min
364 Blue Water (Amenities)
4 Reserved Coach Seats
VALUE
2 Adult
$68.00
2 Child
$34.00
4 Reserved Coach Seats
included
Subtotal
$102.00
Terms & Conditions Total $204.00

Times may not be optimal, but it will be a long day regardless. Maybe there are other options (Niagara, Buffalo, I didn't look).
What train company is this? I guess if OP took this, he'd have to drive (3-4hrs) from Toronto to Port Huron? Thinking of doing a trip to Chicago this summer.

@Iambroke did you transit around Chicago or drive? I'd be going with the gf and would like some recommended stops if you can think of any :)
[OP]
Aug 22, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
express.items wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:27 pm
What train company is this? I guess if OP took this, he'd have to drive (3-4hrs) from Toronto to Port Huron? Thinking of doing a trip to Chicago this summer.

@Iambroke did you transit around Chicago or drive? I'd be going with the gf and would like some recommended stops if you can think of any :)
I believe it's Amtrak and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, Port Huron is about 3hr drive from Toronto. We looked into the option of taking the train from Buffalo but it's a 13hr train ride.

No, we ended up going to Pittsburgh instead.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel