Art and Photography

Thinking of the Sony a6500.. suggestions?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 12:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Dec 27, 2005
331 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Thinking of the Sony a6500.. suggestions?

Hey guys,

Currently I have the Canon 5DM3 with a Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC

I use my camera mostly when I travel with my fam. I have been thinking of getting the Sony a6500 . I know its a crop sensor and All. But I feel it is very travel friendly due to its size for Photo and Video

Wanted to check if anyone of you use the A6500 ? What Lense would you recommend with it . I love good Bokeh!
32 replies
Sr. Member
Aug 1, 2010
728 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
If you love bokeh, you're better off getting a Fujifilm X-T20 with a 56mm 1.2 or 35mm f1.4

Cheaper for you and there are no equivalent for A6500 at an affordable price.

90% of my photos are taken with a similar combo.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4547 posts
140 upvotes
If you only care for stills and also don't need IBIS just get an a6000. save your money to get lenses. I disagree about getting the Fujifilm, it will be more difficult to get shallow depth of field because the sensor is smaller.
Newbie
Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
25 upvotes
Did someone forget Sigma 30 DC DN 1.4? What other lens beats it for price and performance?

If you don't need 1.4, 30 2.8 is identical at all apertures for $200.
Member
Mar 28, 2009
470 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
reader09 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 2:18 pm
Did someone forget Sigma 30 DC DN 1.4? What other lens beats it for price and performance?

If you don't need 1.4, 30 2.8 is identical at all apertures for $200.
Just got this lens for my a6500 and love it. Definitely recommend if you want some nice bokeh and all around lens.
[OP]
Member
Dec 27, 2005
331 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
VietTran wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 2:27 pm
Just got this lens for my a6500 and love it. Definitely recommend if you want some nice bokeh and all around lens.
are you guys using the signa mc11?
Jr. Member
Nov 11, 2011
149 posts
52 upvotes
Calgary
Oni-kun wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:49 pm
If you only care for stills and also don't need IBIS just get an a6000. save your money to get lenses. I disagree about getting the Fujifilm, it will be more difficult to get shallow depth of field because the sensor is smaller.

Not too sure why you would think it's more difficult to get shallow depth of field with Fuji, use the same size aps-c sensor as Sony A6500.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4633 posts
1208 upvotes
Canada
paf wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:06 pm
are you guys using the signa mc11?
Sigma has native e-mount lenses

30mm f1.4
19mm f2.8
30mm f2.8
60mm f2.8
Member
Mar 28, 2009
470 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
paf wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:06 pm
are you guys using the signa mc11?
Nope, it's native e-mount. Make sure it's the 30mm f1.4 DC DN.
[OP]
Member
Dec 27, 2005
331 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:25 pm
Sigma has native e-mount lenses

30mm f1.4
19mm f2.8
30mm f2.8
60mm f2.8
Thank you. still new to the crop sensor . would that mean that this is the focal length we get or there will be a cropping factor?
[OP]
Member
Dec 27, 2005
331 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
VietTran wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:29 pm
Nope, it's native e-mount. Make sure it's the 30mm f1.4 DC DN.
Thank you appreciate it. Would you say, they good for video as well?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4547 posts
140 upvotes
gariopara wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:18 pm
Not too sure why you would think it's more difficult to get shallow depth of field with Fuji, use the same size aps-c sensor as Sony A6500.
Oh my mistake. For some reason I thought it was micro4thirds.
Member
Mar 28, 2009
470 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
paf wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:33 pm
Thank you appreciate it. Would you say, they good for video as well?
I originally bought it for video but I've only been shooting stills with it (only received 2 weeks ago). However, from youtube videos I've seen, it's one of the sharpest lens I've seen for video on the a6500, autofocus seems quick enough so I'm sure it won't disappoint.
[OP]
Member
Dec 27, 2005
331 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
VietTran wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:38 pm
I originally bought it for video but I've only been shooting stills with it (only received 2 weeks ago). However, from youtube videos I've seen, it's one of the sharpest lens I've seen for video on the a6500, autofocus seems quick enough so I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Thank you will definitely check out reviews later tonight
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4633 posts
1208 upvotes
Canada
paf wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:33 pm
Thank you. still new to the crop sensor . would that mean that this is the focal length we get or there will be a cropping factor?
1.5x crop factor. 30mm is equivalent to 45mm on full frame.

They are decent for videos, but they lack image stabilization. Sony has a 35mm f1.8 which has image stabilization and is probably better suited for hand held video

Edit: just saw you were considering the a6500, which has in body image stabilization that works for all lenses. My point will only apply to a6000 and a6300 which don't have in body stabilization and rely on lens based stabilization.
Last edited by RFDQ1016 on Sep 25th, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top