Art and Photography

Thinking of the Sony a6500.. suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 12:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
360 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 4:22 pm
1.5x crop factor. 30mm is equivalent to 45mm on full frame.

They are decent for videos, but they lack image stabilization. Sony has a 35mm f1.8 which has image stabilization which is probably better suited for hand held video

i would have thought that the 5 axis stabilization would help from the a6500
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4753 posts
1427 upvotes
Canada
paf wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 4:24 pm
i would have thought that the 5 axis stabilization would help from the a6500
Yes just saw that you are looking at the a6500 which has 5 axis
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
my hiking/travel setup is an a6500 with the f4/16-70 Zony
now I can't see myself using anything else for traveling abroad for the foreseeable future
the weight/size to image quality ratio is superb
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
26 upvotes
Rather carry 2 primes than sony zooms. lab tests confirms it.
Jan 22, 2015
478 posts
106 upvotes
N/A
I own both the a6000 and the a6500. I would highly recommend twitchyzero's combo. The body has been refined significantly from the a6000, imho, but whether you need all the improvements/changes are up to your use cases as has been alluded to since there's a significant premium involved. If considering lenses, especially for travel where versatility/lightness versus budget concerns, the SEL18105 power zoom is worth thinking about and has a following amongst the travel contingent. Along with that power zoom, the Sigma 19mm 2.8 DN is good for the evening walkabout/dinner outing. I have a soft spot for the Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS - that wide angle gives some awesome views. Even the humble 16-50 kit can be coaxed for some decent shots, and, for close video, well, that's why I have two of them.
May 5, 2010
847 posts
234 upvotes
If 4k isn't an issue and you don't plan on using big zoom lens, the A7II might be a good choice. With a prime lens, it isn't that much bigger or heavier than the A6500. Similar price wise too for the bodies. Lenses are way more expensive though.

If you're looking to have lot of bokeh, you can check for some manual lenses with real big aperture like the Mitakon 35mm F0.95 that is made for Sony E mount. It also exist for Fuji X mount and MFT. If you're used to F1.2 or 1.4 on fullframe, it's pretty similar to it. If you're used to have a F0.95 on fullframe, like Leica Noctilux or Mitakon for fullframe, than there is just no equivalent in APS-C format.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6827 posts
998 upvotes
That sounds like an awesome combo. People like to slam the a6xxx series for being isn't much smaller than a compact dslr, etc, but until they have tested it out, they really don't know what they are missing.
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 7:09 pm
my hiking/travel setup is an a6500 with the f4/16-70 Zony
now I can't see myself using anything else for traveling abroad for the foreseeable future
the weight/size to image quality ratio is superb
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
i actually started with the a6000 series...moved up to the a7 II series...but the heft gets to you if you're backpacking long distances...every gram counts
still, I'm looking to get soething like a Crane-M so I don't have to carry the action cam and a separate charger/batteries for the video front
reader09 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:15 pm
Rather carry 2 primes than sony zooms. lab tests confirms it.
that's what I did for 2 years, lab tests are worthless when it's a pain in the ass to change lenses and detracts me from trying to enjoy a trip...and most of my shots were landscape with smaller aperture. the difference between the end result taken from this lens vs the touit/batis primes were negligible for landscapes....the versatility of a small zoom cannot be understated in those use cases.
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
26 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:27 pm
lab tests are worthless when it's a pain in the ass to change lenses and detracts me from trying to enjoy a trip...and most of my shots were landscape with smaller aperture. the difference between the end result taken from this lens vs the touit/batis primes were negligible for landscapes....the versatility of a small zoom cannot be understated in those use cases.
Lab tests are worthless to you not to rest of us going by scientific evidence.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
if there's an even more anal pixel-peeper than me
you win
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2605 posts
274 upvotes
paf wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 11:12 am
Hey guys,

Currently I have the Canon 5DM3 with a Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC

I use my camera mostly when I travel with my fam. I have been thinking of getting the Sony a6500 . I know its a crop sensor and All. But I feel it is very travel friendly due to its size for Photo and Video

Wanted to check if anyone of you use the A6500 ? What Lense would you recommend with it . I love good Bokeh!
I shoot an a6500 and shoot stills. At home, the sigma 30mm 1.4 is on my camera 90% of the time because it's so sharp. It's noticeable sharper than the Sony SEL35F18 and the wider FOV helps. The Sigma 19/30/60 2.8 primes are also very popular but the AF isn't as good as on the newer Sigma 30 1.4. I trust that you've also seen lists like this http://briansmith.com/aps-e-mount-lense ... s-cameras/.

Sony FE lenses are designed for full frame but are fully compatible with APSC sensor e-mount. So if you had lusted after a fast 135mm prime on your 5d, you can get the Sony FE85mm 1.8 lens (127.5mm equiv.) which will provide a similar FOV for $800.

I have a couple of zoom lenses that come with me while I travel though.

If you're coming from a 24-70 2.8, you will have to think about how much you will miss a fast zoom. There is no such native equivalent on Sony e-mount. People have been waiting for years for it but it hasn't come yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9967 posts
4282 upvotes
Southern Ontario
OP, if you don't mind the DoF look of f/4 as the shallowest you can go on their 2.8 lenses (1.5x) I'd give that up for the weight savings, especially on vacation where I don't typically want to blur out the environment, I want to see it more in focus.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3280 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 8:33 am
I trust that you've also seen lists like this http://briansmith.com/aps-e-mount-lense ... s-cameras/.
This is a great link -- thanks for sharing it. There are a number of "third party brands" there that I hadn't even heard of.

For what it's worth to the OP, I have an a6000 (mostly used for "family photography") and really enjoy using the Sony 20mm f/2.8. It's tiny, focuses quickly, and has great image quality. I've also heard great things about the Sigma 19mm prime.
Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
26 upvotes
self-proclaimed pixel peeper fails peeping test

You can go with whatever you eye says. I will go by lab instruments and overwhelming number of reviews confirming lab results.