Ongoing Deal Discussion

Lenovo Canada

Locked: ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Aug 20, 2015
195 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary
ilovecanada wrote: i5 8400H + 4K + 16gb RAM+ 256 Pcie SSD costs $2138 after tax...

vs

i7 8850k + 4k + 16gb RAM+ 512g ssd costs $2495 after tax...

not sure about the $360 difference
In your previous post you asked about i7 8750H, this price comparison your asking about i7 8850H (I assume H not K as you wrote)

First figure out what config you're actually looking at lol then go look up reviews online or YouTube to see the difference between the CPU
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
The message Lenovo sent me after they already shipped the FHD model:
Aug 20, 2015
195 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary
MusicEveryday wrote: Yea - it's been in and out of stock all day, a P1 with the same config with the P2000 GPU in lieu of the 1050 Ti is 600$ more. My guess as there's been people on the fence about it the X1E, but after looking at competitors the price is still unbeatable. I also prefer the ThinkPad design over the XPS.
I was reading some reviews and watching some on YouTube too for the Dell XPS 15 inch ones with i7 8xxx cpu, it seems like the Dell ones have crappier cooling systems so it heats up and throttles more. Another crappy thing, and probably a deal breaker for me, is the port selection on xps 9570 (regular style) or 9575 (2 in 1 style) compared to Lenovo x1e, but if you have USB C adapters or a dock I guess it's not a big deal... I'm guessing more things will be USB c going forward, but I'd rather have at least 1 USB A lol. I think Dell also uses a slower SSD than the ones in the x1e (expected to be Samsung I believe).

Then there's the quality control issues with Dell, which Lenovo apparently has too. I have no onsite warranty repair experience with Dell, but Lenovo on site is pretty damn good. I've read horrible stuff about Lenovo Depot repairs so I will suggest upgrading to onsite warranty for Lenovo for sure if you go that way too. I'm not too worried about saving a couple % by waiting for Black Friday deals from Lenovo either. If somehow Lenovo gives a coupon for the P1 price error thing, I'll see how much it is for... And then maybe use it to get accessories or a monitor maybe... If it ends up being a decent sized coupon, I could always use it to order another laptop from Lenovo during actual black Friday sales lol (the benefits of having large credit limits)
Aug 20, 2015
195 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary
ciuvak wrote: The message Lenovo sent me after they already shipped the FHD model:
Did you chat or phone call with this rep at any point? Or is this rep new to you?

It would be nice if the rep actually listed what the options were so you could decide before calling them and wasting even more time.

Let us know what config they offer, wondering if it'll be different from the couple config options that were listed before by some ppl
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
Yeah, why would they send out the e-mail AFTER they've shipped out the incorrect configuration? What a hassle for everyone. Mine was shipped out today as well, waiting upon the e-mail so that I can go over these "options" that they're offering.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
elitekillah wrote: Did you chat or phone call with this rep at any point? Or is this rep new to you?
It would be nice if the rep actually listed what the options were so you could decide before calling them and wasting even more time.
Let us know what config they offer, wondering if it'll be different from the couple config options that were listed before by some ppl
No, it's a totally random person. I didn't previously chat with anyone about my order. I will post here if I have any updates, but it's' probably too late for them to do anything meaningful at this point. What a big waste of time for all customers. I fully expect my money for this order to be held up by Lenovo for at least another month. It will take time to return the laptop, then more time for them to process the return. then again more time to issue a refund. Thinking of and sending my best wishes to all the useless reps confirming that this is a great sale and the specs are correct.
Nov 23, 2014
518 posts
465 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
elitekillah wrote: I was reading some reviews and watching some on YouTube too for the Dell XPS 15 inch ones with i7 8xxx cpu, it seems like the Dell ones have crappier cooling systems so it heats up and throttles more. Another crappy thing, and probably a deal breaker for me, is the port selection on xps 9570 (regular style) or 9575 (2 in 1 style) compared to Lenovo x1e, but if you have USB C adapters or a dock I guess it's not a big deal... I'm guessing more things will be USB c going forward, but I'd rather have at least 1 USB A lol. I think Dell also uses a slower SSD than the ones in the x1e (expected to be Samsung I believe).

Then there's the quality control issues with Dell, which Lenovo apparently has too. I have no onsite warranty repair experience with Dell, but Lenovo on site is pretty damn good. I've read horrible stuff about Lenovo Depot repairs so I will suggest upgrading to onsite warranty for Lenovo for sure if you go that way too. I'm not too worried about saving a couple % by waiting for Black Friday deals from Lenovo either. If somehow Lenovo gives a coupon for the P1 price error thing, I'll see how much it is for... And then maybe use it to get accessories or a monitor maybe... If it ends up being a decent sized coupon, I could always use it to order another laptop from Lenovo during actual black Friday sales lol (the benefits of having large credit limits)
Funny you say that because in my panic to get it in stock I forgot to upgrade to the 3 year onsite warranty so I have submitted a request to have it added without losing my stock allocation. The EPP discount on the warranty is great.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone else order the ThinkPad X1 Yoga and getting a delivery date of December 3,2018?
Dec 3, 2009
8 posts
6 upvotes
Lenovo certainly has made a mess of things. Cross post from the expired deals post:

Nov 8: I opened a chat with their support inquiring about specs/config downgraded from the original order. Rep assured "you will receive what you ordered" Blah Blah Order Management Team already investigating, he will keep monitoring this order and keep me updated.

Nov 9: Friday morning I received an email (similar to ciuvak's) from a different Sales Rep who offered to re-book two options. Works out to be ~43% off the MSRP, but not all that enticing after being assured about the original P1 order.
1) 20MDS00S00 - $1604.55 (8750H, 8GB, 256GB, P1000)
2) 20MDS00P00 - $2184.05 (The same P1 config)
I responded around noon, but have since heard nothing back.

Nov 12: I got the shipping notification and UPS tracking today. OVP shows 20MDS00U00 for the cheaper low-end model with no system details/specs.
So far it's been a big waste of resources/time but hoping they make it right (Please just ship me the $3,839.00 20MDS00P00 LOL)
Feb 15, 2007
654 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Considering ordering the 20MF000BUS pre-built configuration for the Sale Price of $1,643.40
But it doesn't come with the Ethernet dongle.
Getting contradicting info chatting with Lenovo reps...

One told me I cannot order the Ethernet dongle separately unless I order it as part of the 20MFCTO1WW custom built configuration but then price is higher.
Second agent told me this is the part I need to order:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 4X90F84315
Overview doesn't mention X1E as compatible though....

Any comment?
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
chocho111 wrote: Considering ordering the 20MF000BUS pre-built configuration for the Sale Price of $1,643.40
But it doesn't come with the Ethernet dongle.
Getting contradicting info chatting with Lenovo reps...

One told me I cannot order the Ethernet dongle separately unless I order it as part of the 20MFCTO1WW custom built configuration but then price is higher.
Second agent told me this is the part I need to order:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 4X90F84315
Overview doesn't mention X1E as compatible though....

Any comment?
Pretty sure that the XIE does NOT come with the dongle, only the P series do. I don't know which dongle is best, when I initially ordered my X1E, I also ordered the dongle from the follow-up accessories page, assuming that that one would work (otherwise why put it there?). Ftr, I've spoken to many reps over the past couple of weeks lol, it's a hit and miss which rep knows what they're talking about and which are talking out of their a**.
Feb 15, 2007
654 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
You are right - many reps are not up to speed on accessories.
Problem is when you order from the accessories page for 20MF000BUS that ethernet adapter is not there. The ones listed there are all USB3.0 and I want to use the mini-Lan port the X1E comes with so it is a different adapter for it. No sense in wasting USB port when the Mini-LAN is already on the machine.
Nov 17, 2007
253 posts
27 upvotes
Thunder Bay
I am really tired of talking to the reps online and just cancelled P1 order and ordered an x1e. BTW, the website is updated.
Sep 15, 2014
104 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, ON
my custom build X1E arrived today: i5 8400H, 16GB RAM, 4K, 256gb SSD. $2138 after tax...

Compared to the pre-built i7 8850h + 4k and i7 8750+fhd.. I have to say this laptop has better surface temperature than both pre-build versions and fan does not kick in as often as the i7s...

My i7 8850h_+4k replacement will arrive next week, but I already know that I am keeping this one as I can use the $360 saved to buy a 1TB ssd(860 EVO) and 16gb ram during BF...

Btw, custom build machines don't come in the retail boxes as seen in pre-build machines... The laptop is sealed in a plastic bag and fixed into card board box with foam blocks...
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Still contemplating getting 3yr onsite and 3yr ADP for $228 for my $1800 X1C or staying with my 1yr depot and the extra year warranty I have with my credit card. Hmmm...

I feel the 3yr warranty is worth the peace of mind, especially as often as I travel with it. One slip and fall, a broken screen, damaged motherboard, will more than pay for itself. Broken down it’s $80/yr, I think that’s within reason, though I will have broken my own 10% rule, but barely at 12.6%.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
This ThinkPad E585 (AMD) is in my price range <$500

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmeppfrie ... -customize

There aren't many reviews on these very basic machines, hopefully someone here can give give me some advice :)

FYI I've had the thinkpad SL500 since 2009 and it's giving me a lot of trouble so time to replace. I'll be running mint on it so the OS doesn't matter to me...

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2323 posts
1308 upvotes
ilovecanada wrote:
Btw, custom build machines don't come in the retail boxes as seen in pre-build machines... The laptop is sealed in a plastic bag and fixed into card board box with foam blocks...

i have to say, the pre-built X1E came in a nice sealed retail box within the shipping box. At first, i thought i got a book or something by accident - always used to the plastic bag with red seal. LOL.
Nov 1, 2018
2 posts
I have just received my order "Thinkpad T480 "at 40% discount through EPP 12 days ago . It's a great laptop that fits my needs ,very happy with it ,thanks guys for sharing this deal .
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Went ahead and purchased the 3yr onsite warranty for $119 on my P52 system. $119 on a $2500 purchase is a no brainer imo, especially with the 3yr warranty at 2yr prices. Still thinking about the 3yr onsite with 3yr ADP for $238 on my $1800 X1C, this one I feel ADP would benefit me greatly.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
plucky duck wrote: Went ahead and purchased the 3yr onsite warranty for $119 on my P52 system. $119 on a $2500 purchase is a no brainer imo, especially with the 3yr warranty at 2yr prices. Still thinking about the 3yr onsite with 3yr ADP for $238 on my $1800 X1C, this one I feel ADP would benefit me greatly.
Nice. How does your P52 system stack up with the X1E $2,500 system that is sold out?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)