• Nov 14th, 2017 1:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7957 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa
So I finally got around to watching it. Definitely the best Thor movie (though IMO the bar wasn't that high), but I find the humour felt a bit forced at times; it's a similar comment I had for Guardians 2.

Still a good movie overall. I feel the transitions were a bit eclectic (like if Taika was given too much sugar when editing), but it was good stuff.

I didn't really get the beginning about what happened with Odin though...
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
i saw it on saturday in imax. i agree its the best thor movie to date, however its flawed. i didnt like how they tried to tell 2 separate stories in a 2 hour movie. quite honestly it should of just focused on the ragnarok. but trying to tell 2 stories that are vastly different in a 2 hour movie, just didnt work. it was too rushed.

i didnt like the humor in the movie, people in the audience were laughing and i was thinking to myself "why the hell are they laughing, none of this is funny". we are talking about what is suppose to be a dark, serious end of days storyline and they is humor in the movie, not even dark humor, just humor, i felt it took away from the movie.

we got to see 1 gladiator battle and thats it.....i felt kinda ripped off, i was hoping for atleast a few more. i never felt the emotional weight of the storyline or the impact of choices characters are making. i felt the battles could of been longer as well.

overall i liked it, but like i said, its flawed. the planet hulk storyline should feel like the gladiator movie but with hulk in it. the ragnarok storyline should have a serious end of days scenario like T2 judgement day.

it was another marvel movie that caters too much to the general audience and not enough to the hardcore fans. i really want marvel movies to be like the marvel netflix shows.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1262 posts
187 upvotes
Agreed, I didn't find he humour as funny as the rest of the audience. Maybe I'm getting too old......still, the movie was good, but I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I prefer for first Thor movie. I went into the movie expecting a lot more Planet Hulk elements than what we got.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:33 pm
Agreed, I didn't find he humour as funny as the rest of the audience. Maybe I'm getting too old......still, the movie was good, but I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I prefer for first Thor movie. I went into the movie expecting a lot more Planet Hulk elements than what we got.
I think the CGI budget would have been shot lol.

Plus they would have to introduce Beta Ray Bill or Hulk's son.

I think they way they did it, makes sense, Thor ascends to the Throne, brings back Hulk to the fold, will run into the Guardians in Space as the head to Earth/encounter Thanos.

The Planet Hulk storyline would mean a very pissed off Hulk returning to Earth to exact his revenge on his allies for kicking him off Earth.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1262 posts
187 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:39 pm
I think the CGI budget would have been shot lol.

Plus they would have to introduce Beta Ray Bill or Hulk's son.

I think they way they did it, makes sense, Thor ascends to the Throne, brings back Hulk to the fold, will run into the Guardians in Space as the head to Earth/encounter Thanos.

The Planet Hulk storyline would mean a very pissed off Hulk returning to Earth to exact his revenge on his allies for kicking him off Earth.
Ya, in my mind I knew they weren't going to do Planet Hulk justice in a Thor movie, but my heart was hoping for more. Haha.

I still have the comics and animated movie to fall back on.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17672 posts
1306 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:59 pm
i saw it on saturday in imax. i agree its the best thor movie to date, however its flawed. i didnt like how they tried to tell 2 separate stories in a 2 hour movie. quite honestly it should of just focused on the ragnarok. but trying to tell 2 stories that are vastly different in a 2 hour movie, just didnt work. it was too rushed.

i didnt like the humor in the movie, people in the audience were laughing and i was thinking to myself "why the hell are they laughing, none of this is funny". we are talking about what is suppose to be a dark, serious end of days storyline and they is humor in the movie, not even dark humor, just humor, i felt it took away from the movie.

we got to see 1 gladiator battle and thats it.....i felt kinda ripped off, i was hoping for atleast a few more. i never felt the emotional weight of the storyline or the impact of choices characters are making. i felt the battles could of been longer as well.

overall i liked it, but like i said, its flawed. the planet hulk storyline should feel like the gladiator movie but with hulk in it. the ragnarok storyline should have a serious end of days scenario like T2 judgement day.

it was another marvel movie that caters too much to the general audience and not enough to the hardcore fans. i really want marvel movies to be like the marvel netflix shows.
I agree with most points. They even put back in 30 minutes of humour after it was slimmed down because they felt the mainstream audience would eat it up and everyone did.

While I still enjoy Marvel movies, this is one of the problems I have with them. They lighten everything. Take GOTG2 for instance when Ego was building up to something significant only to deflate it with a cheap joke.

This is one reason I hope Marvel doesn't end up buying Fox. We would not have gotten Logan or Deadpool. New Mutants is also looking like a good departure from the standard super hero fare. Disney/Marvel is only interested in raking in as much cash as possible and not expanding their properties artistically and it's kinda sad.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1122 posts
94 upvotes
I thought the new mutants was this new show they have on tv called the runaways.

Stop me if I am wrong.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17672 posts
1306 upvotes
TheRock2012 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:41 pm
I thought the new mutants was this new show they have on tv called the runaways.

Stop me if I am wrong.
Marvel's mutants belong to Fox. The New Mutants is a Fox movie.

The Runaways are a show about the kids of super villains. You may be thinking of The Gifted which is a Fox show about mutants that are part of the X-Men universe.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10552 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
Haz wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:03 pm
Disney/Marvel is only interested in raking in as much cash as possible and not expanding their properties artistically and it's kinda sad.
I disagree. With Phase 3 its become more apparent that the directors are doing what they wanted. I believe Marvel has key messages they want across in their films and how the director gets there is completely up to them Thor Ragnarok is 100% a Taika Waititi film. He`s merely using the Thor Universe. They even let me restart Thor from the ground up. The same with the Guardians 2. It`s a James Gunn movie completely. We will see with Black Panther but all signs point to Coogler being able to do what he wanted. They let him bring in all the people he worked with before.

While its all rumors and hearsay, the DC films are artistic but then they get undercut by WB at every turn.