Cell Phones

Those with $60/10Gb plans..... Price auto increase to $65 (Fido/Rogers)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 4:12 pm
Dec 20, 2018
208 posts
132 upvotes
Don't know why people get so worked up over a price increase. This plan are for those not under contract so they can change the price whenever and to whatever they want just like customers can leave whenever they want

Don't see the complaint when hotels/airlines or even food market change their prices daily or sometimes even more. What's the difference?
May 8, 2009
7744 posts
3728 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Telecommunications co's are notorious for price increases.

The only thing that can save us is if CRTC mandates wholesale tariffs for MVNO's to freely open shop in the Great White North.

So far the CRTC has given the carriers every incentive to shift around the numbers to exploit the consumers
  • no Canadian ads during NFL and new $25 skinny package? Ok, bars have to pay a premium for basic Rogers/Bell owned Sportsnet/TSN
  • Free unlocks? What? No $50+ fee? Well then, $35 activation fee, price increase overage rates, add-on rates, base plan rates, etc. etc.
  • Videotron offers unlimited streaming T-Mo style via partners? Well then, shut it down! Yet Fido has Data bites (obviously for binge streaming), Rogers has their own compression algorithm "to increase usable data for streaming", Bell used to offer zero-rated data for mobile TV viewing
  • Next, the CRTC would like to mandate a base data only 1GB/$30 plan across all carriers. Why bother, when we can get 3GB/$15 on the subbies. Sure, $30/1GB ok for prepaid for foreign tourists who can't get post-paid plans here and rather not roam, but still. We'll probably lose more deals
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Feb 17, 2017
746 posts
458 upvotes
Calgary
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:20 pm

[*]Next, the CRTC would like to mandate a base data only 1GB/$30 plan across all carriers. Why bother, when we can get 3GB/$15 on the subbies. Sure, $30/1GB ok for prepaid for foreign tourists who can't get post-paid plans here and rather not roam, but still. We'll probably lose more deals
[/list]
The ridiculous thing is that a lot of countries have roaming plans in Canada that are actually cheaper than Canadian plans. I know someone who is here from the UK temporarily (around 9 months) and their UK plan was cheaper and better (something like 20gb a month for around 40$ a month and no roaming time limit + they have the benefit of roaming on all the big 3 networks + Freedom). Canadian, US & Mexican roaming were all included in their normal plan.
Jul 21, 2009
615 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I am on a 70$/10GB plan... any chance I can go in to get a 5$ reduction on my bill?
Sep 10, 2015
131 posts
19 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Any idea which provider they are with. I’ll sign up when I go back if it’s that great. I know for Three UK the roaming country is USA and you don’t get charged anything extra
Dec 8, 2002
911 posts
237 upvotes
Oakville
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:10 am
Rogers is doing 5g upgrades which is expensive and paid a lot of money for and nobody to cost share with unlike bellus

But they were stupid and went with Ericsson for 5g equipment instead of cheaper and better Huawei stuff like other big telcos
And if Canadian government grows ball$ and bans Huawei equipment from participating in 5g, expect Bellus to drop increases like mad. Who will be the stupid one then?
Feb 17, 2017
746 posts
458 upvotes
Calgary
flexsingh wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:28 pm
Any idea which provider they are with. I’ll sign up when I go back if it’s that great. I know for Three UK the roaming country is USA and you don’t get charged anything extra
I think it's Vodafone (Canadian roaming is only included on some plans though, called roaming plus I think).
Jul 18, 2015
244 posts
62 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
Virgin is going to be next too.....

I just called and was given the most BS line I've ever heard..... "don't worry about it, Sir, this is just a footnote for other peoples bills". "this is a loyalty plan and the price is locked in".
I was asking to change it to another loyalty option, and he was so stubborn to even acknowledge what I was asking.

Like the other members of RFD have said, this plan is still SO good that another $5 isn't going to break the bank, but its more about principle at this point!
I don't appreciate being lied to, and sent on a goose chase just to ask about my bill!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4657 posts
2162 upvotes
canny19 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:08 pm
Virgin is going to be next too.....

I just called and was given the most BS line I've ever heard..... "don't worry about it, Sir, this is just a footnote for other peoples bills". "this is a loyalty plan and the price is locked in".
I was asking to change it to another loyalty option, and he was so stubborn to even acknowledge what I was asking.

Like the other members of RFD have said, this plan is still SO good that another $5 isn't going to break the bank, but its more about principle at this point!
I don't appreciate being lied to, and sent on a goose chase just to ask about my bill!
Record the call, file a CCTS complaint when the price increases.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10749 posts
2390 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:09 am
If Koodo can offer a phone on medium tab on this plan, them I'm not too worried as it means this plan is quite profitable and they are unlikely to raise it.

I just signed a 2 year tab on Koodo with 60$/10 and sold the phone. Safe for 2 years I guess...
Your 2 year tab doesn’t guarantee they won’t raise your monthly. Your tab is fixed but completely separate from your monthly contract price. They don’t do contracts in the old sense where if you stayed for 2 years your phone was subsidized. Evidence is that you can cancel your account immediately after getting a tab and only owe for the tab.

Having said that, Koodo has been very fair. They were the ones to offer the 10 gb for $60 forcing other providers to follow suit, obviously never intending to continue to honour it.

I’m happy with Koodo.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2039 posts
370 upvotes
Calgary
Didn't Rogers or Fido initially offer the plan for 2 years and then changed it to "forever" because all other providers were offering "forever" plans?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2675 posts
1067 upvotes
Everywhere
In other countries, these plans go down in price :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5964 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
Did everyone received notice yet ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5964 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 8:00 am
Someone’s gotta pay for Rogers’ crappy NHL broadcast rights deal...
Lmao Cat Face With Tears Of JoyCat Face With Tears Of Joy