Cell Phones

Those with $60/10Gb plans..... Price auto increase to $65 (Fido/Rogers) $70 (Telus)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 3:28 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1878 posts
1430 upvotes
Mmagic888 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:46 am
Title should be updated to show that Telus is increasing by $10 vs $5 for Rogers/Bell.
I requested the mods do this, they only added "Telus" to the title, I requested they add "$10" for Telus, they didn't do it. This thread should actually be merged with the Telus thread since it's all about the same $60 plans and price increases to them, but mods also didn't merge.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1097 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
Ive been with freedom mobile since they started and now have service anywhere I go in Vancouver. Volte is a bonus, so is having 10gb data, 1gb for us travelling and no roaming charges. All while paying $40 a month.
Graphic Designer
Dec 29, 2007
58 posts
3 upvotes
Advil_Yum wrote: Telus sent letters last week - my wife received it on Friday. $10 increase is a 17% increase. Unacceptable and I'm looking for other options - unfortunately, even with the $70 price, there still isn't anything as good. Sad.
Looking over her bills, it seems a 5-6gb plan will be fine, so I'll be looking for something either from Public Mobile or Koodo which seems to be the consensus.
At $65, I probably would keep her with Telus.
Public mobile has a promotion on right now $10 off their plans for 6 months. $50 for 8.5gb -$2 then another $10 off for 6 months $38 for the first 6 months. 3G is also pretty good for the average user.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1536 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
Chatting with Rogers now to see what they can offer.

Ironically, only as a result of this increase, I'm shopping around and finding 36$/mo for 4GB with Zoomer. I'm never over 4GB, I got the 10GB because it was a good deal at the time. Not the case. Another reason to BYOP and shift around.
May 31, 2017
44 posts
40 upvotes
I don't know about you guys but i think it's time to fight back against being raked over the coals for sub par service at one of the highest price tags in the world. I started a petition i hope will gain some traction. We need to get some competition into Canada and stop protecting this monopoly.

https://www.change.org/p/canadian-gover ... e-monopoly
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
Killahbyte wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:39 am
I don't know about you guys but i think it's time to fight back against being raked over the coals for sub par service at one of the highest price tags in the world. I started a petition i hope will gain some traction. We need to get some competition into Canada and stop protecting this monopoly.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sto ... e-monopoly
Instead of complaining, which generally has no effect in Canada, use less or switch to a competitor, but not one of the big ones. They would stand up and take notice if the ARPU went down. I have not used a Canadian provider since 2015 and it looks like I may never go back.
May 31, 2017
44 posts
40 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:05 am
Instead of complaining, which generally has no effect in Canada, use less or switch to a competitor, but not one of the big ones. They would stand up and take notice if the ARPU went down. I have not used a Canadian provider since 2015 and it looks like I may never go back.
Change doesn't happen by avoiding the problem. Using another carrier simply gives that carrier the power to do the same thing down the road simply because they can. It really doesn't deal with the fundamental problem of them providing average service for a high price tag. Also so we are clear there is really only 1 competitor and that is really Shaw. The rest are owned by the big three:

Rogers Communications: Rogers Wireless, Fido Mobile, Chatr Mobile, Cityfone

BCE Inc: Bell Mobility, Virgin Mobile, Lucky Mobile

Telus Corporation: Telus Mobility, Koodo Mobile, Public Mobile

Shaw Communications: Freedom Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
Killahbyte wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:13 pm
Change doesn't happen by avoiding the problem. Using another carrier simply gives that carrier the power to do the same thing down the road simply because they can. It really doesn't deal with the fundamental problem of them providing average service for a high price tag. Also so we are clear there is really only 1 competitor and that is really Shaw. The rest are owned by the big three:

Are you saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Disappointed But Relieved Face

I had Canadian mobile service from 1991 until 2015 and I only saw an increase in price, never a decrease. I was with Rogers for over 20 years and I didn't change my plan ever so my price never went up, but at a steady $70 per month - but it was a fight to keep it at that level. They made it clear to me that I wasn't valued as a customer so I switched. It was a losing battle with all Canadian carriers. In the US, my mobile cost has always gone down. My mobile costs have gone from a peak of $80 per month (in Canada) to $150 per year in the US.

At some point, if they don't want to change, the battle isn't worth it anymore. :rolleyes:
May 31, 2017
44 posts
40 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:37 pm
Are you saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Disappointed But Relieved Face

I had Canadian mobile service from 1991 until 2015 and I only saw an increase in price, never a decrease. I was with Rogers for over 20 years and I didn't change plan ever so my price never went up, but at a steady $70 per month - but it was a fight to keep it at that level. They made it clear to me that I wasn't valued as a customer so I switched. It was a losing battle with all Canadian carriers. In the US, my mobile cost has always gone down. My mobile costs have gone from a peak of $80 per month (in Canada) to $150 per year in the US.

At some point, if they don't want to change, the battle isn't worth it anymore. :rolleyes:
Not sure how you misinterpreted what i said. What i am saying is, we as citizens of Canada need to stand up to what looks like collusion between companies who have a government protected monopoly on Canadian cell phone services. And just sitting back and switching or using less as you mentioned is not enough. Explain to me how 3 companies can all shift prices up on semi-decent plans at the exact same time and yet nothing is done from a government or regulation side. Let's not forget we already have the world’s highest rates to begin with.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
Killahbyte wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:55 pm
Not sure how you misinterpreted what i said. What i am saying is, we as citizens of Canada need to stand up to what looks like collusion between companies who have a government protected monopoly on Canadian cell phone services. And just sitting back and switching or using less as you mentioned is not enough. Explain to me how 3 companies can all shift prices up on semi-decent plans at the exact same time and yet nothing is done from a government or regulation side. Let's not forget we already have the world’s highest rates to begin with.
You didn't provide a viable solution. Complaining to the crtc isn't time effective. There will be lots of back and forth between the CRTC and the minister responsible. Generally, the recommendations of crtc are used because the minister is some randomly elected individual. Plus politics plays a big part. How much did the carriers contribute to the elected party? We are not trying to change the Constitution here but we are trying to change the price of cell phone service. Ian Scott who is the president of the crtc used to be a vice president at Telus and a lobbyist. I'm sure his Telus stock is in a blind trust so he is totally impartial. :rolleyes:

Spending less with Canadian providers with have more of an effect. I would like to see foreign competition like t-mobile at AT&T roll in. To a lesser degree, these foreign roaming plans are like foreign competition that drive down ARPU with domestic carriers.

For comedic relief, the mandate of the crtc,
Our Mandate, Mission and What We Do
We are dedicated to ensuring that Canadians have access to a world-class communication system (3G data, yay!) that promotes innovation and enriches their (mobile CEO's) lives.
Last edited by batcave on Feb 12th, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May 31, 2017
44 posts
40 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:25 pm
Spending less with Canadian providers with have more of an effect. I would like to see foreign competition like t-mobile at AT&T roll in. To a lesser degree, these foreign roaming plans are like foreign competition that drive down ARPU with domestic carriers.
And that was the basis of my petition....had you read it. lol
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
Killahbyte wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:29 pm
And that was the basis of my petition....had you read it. lol
Tl,dr. I pay $10/month already. It doesn't get better than this. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
May 31, 2017
44 posts
40 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:30 pm
Tl,dr. I pay $10/month already. It doesn't get better than this. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
$10 a month...how do i get in on this lol
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
Killahbyte wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:32 pm
$10 a month...how do i get in on this lol
If you wait long enough you might get it in Canada, might
Dec 18, 2017
185 posts
342 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lovecellphones wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 9:45 pm
Anytime when someone leave Fido Fido give them a call back.
and offered 25% discount from plan.

i will port out and will wait for call from fido.
They can only offer you the 25% break on an in market plan. The will NOT let you have your 10GB plan back once you leave.

ALL in market plans will be worse than the $65/10GB plan. Unless you don’t really need or use the entire 10GB of course.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)