Cell Phones

Those with $60/10Gb plans..... Price auto increase to $65 (Fido/Rogers) $70 (Telus)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2019 7:55 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7621 posts
1391 upvotes
gamer602 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:27 pm
We saw this with the $40 4GB plan

Fido and Virgin jacked it up to $45
Koodo is still at $40

People pointed to this case study during the $60/10GB war
But

What can you do?
My wife's 40/4gb plan still 40$
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
7259 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
Is freedom planning to do the same ?
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from these knowledge and information.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1264 posts
489 upvotes
Pochacco wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:24 am
Is freedom planning to do the same ?
Doubt it, they should be doing the opposite.
Dec 24, 2006
469 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
gamer602 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:27 pm
We saw this with the $40 4GB plan

Fido and Virgin jacked it up to $45
Koodo is still at $40

People pointed to this case study during the $60/10GB war
But

What can you do?
I was one of those on the 4GB/$40 Fido month-to-month BYOD plans that got the 30day notice it's going up to $45... While in pure dollar terms $5/month is only $60/year and isn't too huge of a dent, in % term that's a 12% increase... for exact same level of service I'm getting... which is what I had politely told them after I ported out to Rogers and they called to offer not increase it: why must I leave before you take action? Why aren't you fighting to keep your existing customers and instead focus on new customers?

Thanked them for the gesture (because the person on the phone is just doing their job) and karma ensues that my Rogers month-to-month BYOD got the $5 increase notification less than 2 years after LOL
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16983 posts
3847 upvotes
Toronto
I called in asking if I could get any credits to compensate for the price increase. I did not say I would cancel, but did mention the cheaper Freedom plan. The agent did not offer any $ credits, saying none could be applied. However, I was offered a data credit of 3 GB per month for 12 months, so I took it. (Pic below shows 1 x 3 GB bonus added.)

I couldn't be bothered to port out at this time. I guess that's what the Big Three (or Big Two for now) are counting on with that $5 increase.

FidoPlanError.PNG

BTW, I forgot to ask but my understanding is that for the 3 GB, I would only have a pro-rated amount this month, which means for the remaining 19 days this month I should have about 1.9 GB left out of that 3 GB, on top of the usual data bucket. That's an extra 100 MB per day on average.

P.S. This $60$65 10/13 GB account is showing I get no MMS messages. I'm told it's just a Fido glitch though. (It preceded their adding of the 3 GB bonus.)
Jan 13, 2009
332 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EugW wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:24 pm
I called in asking if I could get any credits to compensate for the price increase. I did not say I would cancel, but did mention the cheaper Freedom plan. The agent did not offer any $ credits, saying none could be applied. However, I was offered a data credit of 3 GB per month for 12 months, so I took it. (Pic below shows 1 x 3 GB bonus added.)

I couldn't be bothered to port out at this time. I guess that's what the Big Three (or Big Two for now) are counting on with that $5 increase.

FidoPlanError.PNG

BTW, I forgot to ask but my understanding is that for the 3 GB, I would only have a pro-rated amount this month, which means for the remaining 19 days this month I should have about 1.9 GB left out of that 3 GB, on top of the usual data bucket. That's an extra 100 MB per day on average.

P.S. This $60$65 10/13 GB account is showing I get no MMS messages. I'm told it's just a Fido glitch though. (It preceded their adding of the 3 GB bonus.)
I got the exact same offer but I was told the 3GB was forever but that was a lie like everything else.

Trying to deal with their Chat Rep to see if I can get a discount or any other offer to compensate for the increase.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2271 posts
645 upvotes
Calgary
Telus has a history of grandfathering plans and not changing it on you as long as you don't change the plan yourself. I'm hoping they will keep that trend and do it with Koodo as well.
Jan 13, 2009
332 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Asoul wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 5:13 pm
Telus has a history of grandfathering plans and not changing it on you as long as you don't change the plan yourself. I'm hoping they will keep that trend and do it with Koodo as well.
I believe they will not increase prices. I’ve only ever seen them move someone off of a plan which was an old unlimited (grandfathered) plan but even that took years once they decided to do so.
Dec 15, 2017
69 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
Asoul wrote:
Also, isn't it in the fine print somewhere that they don't increase the prices of base plans (if you don't change it yourself) but only add-ons etc...?
As far as I can tell, the Telus 10GB plan is all together a base plan, no add-ons. Big reason why I left Fido because Rogers/Fido were doing this 5GB+5GB plan where the additional 5GB was an add-on.
Koodo: 12GB data, Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited Text Messages, 1000 LD Mins to select countries = $55/month (-$5/month discount for 24 months, then $60/month)
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
2275 posts
2062 upvotes
Asoul wrote:
lighter786 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 6:49 pm
I believe they will not increase prices. I’ve only ever seen them move someone off of a plan which was an old unlimited (grandfathered) plan but even that took years once they decided to do so.
Isn't this what happened with PM? The don't...until they do. Since they tried it with PM and only backed down after outrage backlash, not sure if this means they're more likely to do it now or less likely.
Apr 14, 2006
364 posts
214 upvotes
Yup Telus deservedly got whacked hard during the PM fiasco...I doubt they will try it again for quite some time.

Even though they tried raising PM rates, the initial offer was everyone would get the same old rate if they transferred to Koodo. That offer has been sweetened many times, the best ones were $35 - 5GB and $40 - 8GB + $180 in bill credits. Both are better than the original deal of $40 for 4GB.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2287 posts
150 upvotes
subrock wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:25 pm
I'd recommend pursuing this with Rogers support, the CCTS and the Competition Bureau. I was able to get a $5/month credit on my account for a year through Rogers support, but it took having a CCTS complaint on the books for leverage. This is the first time my plan has ever changed without me changing it, so it was important to me to stand up to the principle of the issue.
what was your complain to the CCTS?
the whole of RFD should do this
Dec 18, 2017
664 posts
1191 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
subrock wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:25 pm
I'd recommend pursuing this with Rogers support, the CCTS and the Competition Bureau. I was able to get a $5/month credit on my account for a year through Rogers support, but it took having a CCTS complaint on the books for leverage. This is the first time my plan has ever changed without me changing it, so it was important to me to stand up to the principle of the issue.
Can you tell us what the premise of the complaint was and how you went about getting Roger's attention to it? I'd hop on this tomorrow, if you're able to give me some pointers.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Oct 31, 2010
52 posts
12 upvotes
Victoria
vancityguy0 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 4:29 am
Can you tell us what the premise of the complaint was and how you went about getting Roger's attention to it? I'd hop on this tomorrow, if you're able to give me some pointers.
I called initially and said I was disappointed with the change. The CSA didn't give me any ground so I mentioned that I would file a CCTS and a competition bureau complaint (which I did). When I said that they said they would have someone from the office of the president call me which happened a few days later. The guy from the office of the president said he saw why I was upset but was initially resistant to giving me anything. We talked for 20 mins about how the price increase seemed unjustified since I wasn't getting anything new, and that this was the first increase I had seen as a Rogers customer. I told him basically that it felt like a bait and switch and they were squeezing a loyal customer that had nowhere to go. I eventually got around to asking for a year of credit on my account so that I could weigh my options and plan for the increase and he eventually agreed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)