Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville

Those solar fish work in pool?

I've seen those solar fish that go in the pool and help warm the water. Anyone have one? Did it do a good job?
Money is tight and would like to get the freshly filled pool warm...quickly.

* The innovative new way to keep pools warm
* Creates an invisible layer at the surface of your pool that helps pool retain heat
* Has no effect on pool chemicals or filtration system
* Safe for swimming and swimsuits

Thanks,

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
9 replies
Mar 16, 2005
467 posts
52 upvotes
Hamilton
i have never used one but i heard they work a little, not the greatest, not as well as a solar blanket
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
I noticed at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] has a 12' solar blanket and that's the only size they have (without going to some behemith rectangle style) for $35. I'm guessing it's going to do a better job.
* Made of tough long-acting Dow 594 film
* Add-Tite
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
I use a solar blanket - I would think it works better than this as at least it covers your pool from debris. Results are moderate - it does heat the pool somewhat though never as fast as you would like it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We tried the fish a couple of years ago. We didn't find any real difference in retaining heat but it definitely helped with evaporation. We don't even use our solar blanket any longer during swimming season. They are designed to retain heat, not heat the pool. The sun is the best heat source during the day and the next couple of days should have the pool sitting around 84-86+ degrees. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:We tried the fish a couple of years ago. We didn't find any real difference in retaining heat but it definitely helped with evaporation. We don't even use our solar blanket any longer during swimming season. They are designed to retain heat, not heat the pool. The sun is the best heat source during the day and the next couple of days should have the pool sitting around 84-86+ degrees. :)
Is the no difference in retaining the heat in comparison to a solar blanket or to using nothing?

I hope to get our pool up to 80 over this heatwave (too much shade)... :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Our pool store explained solar blankets this way.... They do not transfer heat into the water as most people think. They say the proper way to use a solar blanket is to remove it during the day to allow the sun to heat the water and put it on the pool as the sun goes down or the pool becomes shaded. We found the chemical fish did nothing in regards to retaining heat, with or without the solar blanket. It only helped with evaporation, we didn't have to top up the water level as often.

Last summer during the heatwave our 40,000L pool was just over 90 degrees. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:We found the chemical fish did nothing in regards to retaining heat, with or without the solar blanket. It only helped with evaporation, we didn't have to top up the water level as often.
Thanks for the info...
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
cskmom

are you still using the solar fish?
im considering it for my pool due to evaporation
how much water loss do you average/day?

thanks
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
The solar fish do zip in terms of heat. In terms of evaporation it brought down the average top off every 2 days, to once or twice a week.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)