• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 10:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1470 posts
42 upvotes

Thoughts on canon 18-135 STM

Going on a trip to newfoundland for a couple of days. I currently have 10-18, 50, 18-55 and 75-300.

I am thinking of getting the 18-135 stm (used for under 300) so i can get rid of the 18-55 and 75-300. Is this a good idea or should I just save my money?

I will most likely be just taking a whole bunch of landscape for this trip.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Landscapes? Is this time on your own? If so, I'd bring a tripod, wired remote, your 10-18 + CPL, maybe a Cokin Grad ND set if you can get your hands on one, review composition videos, practice before you go. If not, my family wouldn't put up with my trekking around sunrise/sunset, nor my setup/composing, maybe friends would if they're into photography too.

Yes, 18-135 STM would be a fine all arounder, can't see you needing more than 135mm unless shooting wildlife. Note there are 3 versions.. If you buy it used and sell it afterwards, it's basically renting and possibly free if you did low/high. Or you may find yourself liking and keeping it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1470 posts
42 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:43 pm
Landscapes? Is this time on your own? If so, I'd bring a tripod, wired remote, your 10-18 + CPL, maybe a Cokin Grad ND set if you can get your hands on one, review composition videos, practice before you go. If not, my family wouldn't put up with my trekking around sunrise/sunset, nor my setup/composing, maybe friends would if they're into photography too.

Yes, 18-135 STM would be a fine all arounder, can't see you needing more than 135mm unless shooting wildlife. Note there are 3 versions.. If you buy it used and sell it afterwards, it's basically renting and possibly free if you did low/high. Or you may find yourself liking and keeping it.
Thanks for the comment. It is very much appreciated. I picked up a used 18-135 STM for 280. At first I could not understand why there was a big range in terms of price. After your comment regarding the 3 different version, I did some research and price comparison now that I know what the heck was going on with prices. I thought that the STM(2nd gen) for the price of IS(1st gen) is a great price. The 3rd gen would be a benefit if it were attached to an 80d but I am using 77d and the price is also not as attracted.

I will be by myself this trip and alot of downtime. I will definitely be bringing a tripod, remote and a couple of ND filters.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
NLI10D wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:39 pm
...I will be by myself this trip and alot of downtime.
I don't know how many people enjoy that sort of thing but I will certainly do more of it when my kids are independent (or will join me). Have a great time!

Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1194 posts
190 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
That's a pretty good lens for walking around. And the STM is very quiet, which is great when zooming in or out during videos.