Tags:
[OP]
Jun 4, 2015
104 posts
88 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Thoughts on career moves?

Hey everyone

Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on my predicament right now, and how I should approach this career move.

>Moved 18 months ago from Ottawa to Brampton for a job; currently make $100k+ a year in sales (senior leadership; manage a team of 100+ people)
>Been 'homesick'. just want to be back with my close friends, family, and get back to my old routine (this was just a temporary move for myself to gain this experience, I always had the intent of moving back after 2 years or so)

I've applied sporadically to a few companies that I like, but since salaries are generally higher in Toronto, I'm having difficulties narrowing down anything within my current pay scale. I wouldn't mind a bit of a drop, but I would hate to fall below a salary of $85k/yr.

Since my current role is not technical (i.e.: Marketing , Finance, Operations etc), and it's fairly general (I manage a large sales team), I don't necessarily have any skills targeted towards any one area, rather general experience amongst it all.

Any thoughts on how to move forward based on these circumstances? I'm pretty sure I know the answer (no, but keep applying and hope for the best!!), but thought I'd throw this out there to see what others think.

TIA!
4 replies
Jan 24, 2009
430 posts
84 upvotes
Regina
I would expect you to find employment rather easily, managing a team of 100+ is very impressive and would set you apart from 99.9% of other candidates.

You should be qualified for titles such as, Regional Manager, Sales Manager, Operarions Manager, District Manager, Branch Manager.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5696 posts
2897 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Why do you need the same salary here in Ottawa - everything is cheaper here? Quality of life would be better even on less salary.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9402 posts
1930 upvotes
Markham
A job is a job, personal life is always more importance. You did you assignment for 2 years and feel home sick.
I would go back home to work for job that pay 80k and happy than stay and keep a 100k job but that you are unhappy.

It is a easy decision.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1867 posts
637 upvotes
Alberta
nmiller8787 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 11:57 pm
I would expect you to find employment rather easily, managing a team of 100+ is very impressive and would set you apart from 99.9% of other candidates.

You should be qualified for titles such as, Regional Manager, Sales Manager, Operarions Manager, District Manager, Branch Manager.
I agree, if you’re managing 100+ ppl I would expect your salary to be in the 200k+ range. Especially in sales. You shouldn’t have any issues in the 100k+ range in Ottawa. Have you tried the tech sector ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)