Tags:
[OP]
Feb 18, 2012
529 posts
209 upvotes
Victoria

Thoughts on Genesis?

Hey all,
Looking for some opinions/experiences with Genesis cars? Looking for something with some power and fun to drive. Maybe the g70 sport?
Thanks
91 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7298 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently, it's the only car you can buy online in Canada without ever having to visit a dealer or a showroom. Everything from test drive to pricing to (after you've bought it!) maintenance arranged through a website. Plus it's very highly spec'ed and looks good as well.
Oct 15, 2008
249 posts
200 upvotes
canada
My opinion is that they're really suffering from not having a real dealership model to work from (ie. a separate Genesis dealership that isn't just attached to a Hyundai dealership). This whole valet service thing is just a way to keep you from seeing the dirty side of Genesis service, where it'll be serviced by guys more used to Tucsons and Elantras than a $60k twin turbo V6 sports sedan. The Genesis reps are also a bunch of clowns, I asked a question and the rep swore up and down that he would get me the info I wanted, and of course he promptly forgot all about me. Later on I found out the info I wanted (about the AWD system), and that really cooled my desire to own one of these.

The products are pretty good otherwise, and are certainly a very good attempt at a first stab into the luxury market. Tons of value for the money, tons of power from that 3.3T engine, good exterior styling (although the new G90 looks like shit). I still think that they are about $3k - $5k too much for the money, and maybe they're only good for a lease. I mean, there are some questionable design decisions that make me wonder, such as using solid bucket lifters on the engine (which will necessitate an expensive valve adjustment later in its life). The AWD transfer case is non-serviceable (does not have a drain plug!) and I don't know what Genesis service manuals say about it, but the Kia Stinger service manual says to replace the entire transfer case when the car throws a certain code.
Last edited by Elusivellama on Sep 9th, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 5, 2007
430 posts
106 upvotes
Mississauga
Old coworker who went to work for Hyundai Genesis says they're not well made.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3832 posts
1190 upvotes
markham
leeoku wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 8:27 pm
Old coworker who went to work for Hyundai Genesis says they're not well made.
I have 4 active in my circle..all are/were G90 or equivalent..one friend the original (2008 i think) bought it brand new then..V8 rwd sedan...actually pretty good car..no problems..traded for a 2015 awd G90..another has the exact same 2015 and 2 others have 2018 G90...all are extremely happy as reg gas, decent mileage , easy maintenance and no problems yet..I have only driven and never owned but ride is ok power ok..and no real problem that i have heard from them
Apr 18, 2017
303 posts
509 upvotes
I had a G80. Loads of problems. From engine lag, sunroof rattle, power steering failure, AWD failure, battery issues and brake issues - will never consider a Genesis or Hyundai product again. Resale value is also terrible. Took a massive hit when getting rid of it for something else.

With that being said, the G70 got a ton of praise last year. So, maybe it's better?
Jul 22, 2019
155 posts
106 upvotes
They are doing really well now a days. Takes time to build the brand. Look at the Mazda 3, they trying to go after BMW and Audi.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12227 posts
8324 upvotes
Richmond Hill
simplypop wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 9:40 pm
They are doing really well now a days. Takes time to build the brand. Look at the Mazda 3, they trying to go after BMW and Audi.
Uh what? Nobody cross shops a Mazda with BMW/Audi. Come on lol
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2382 posts
2437 upvotes
GTA
They seem like a good value in the mid/full sized RWD sedan category. Their German competitors are a bit more expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7298 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto
Just read a review of the G90 in Saturday's Toronto Star Wheels section. It was quite positive.
Jun 13, 2009
992 posts
241 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 12:25 am
Just read a review of the G90 in Saturday's Toronto Star Wheels section. It was quite positive.
Yes...I'm sure it was quite po$$$itive..
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3832 posts
1190 upvotes
markham
User131439 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 9:06 pm
I had a G80. Loads of problems. From engine lag, sunroof rattle, power steering failure, AWD failure, battery issues and brake issues - will never consider a Genesis or Hyundai product again. Resale value is also terrible. Took a massive hit when getting rid of it for something else.

With that being said, the G70 got a ton of praise last year. So, maybe it's better?
was that a new vehicle you bought?...sound more like you bought something used that may have been in a collision and rebuilt to have problems like that.

opinions on this and other vehicles should only be brought forth if you bought the vehicle new...not fair to state problems that were inherited because of lack of maintenance and other unknown factors that wouldn't fairly portray the life of the vehicle in normal state from new.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5982 posts
673 upvotes
simplypop wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 9:40 pm
I hope you're not joking. First, I don't think Genesis is selling very well. In order to compete with the German, they really need to up their game in the leasing market. Leasing payment is very high compare to the German. Same can be said for the sister car Kia Stinger, it's not selling well and the sales I talked to admitted it. Also, Mazda 3 is not going after BMW and Audi. Mazda 3 is competing with Civic.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2436 posts
680 upvotes
Genesis is a wonderful deal as a used car.
I would not ever consider buying it new. Depreciation is considerable. They are much better deal as a used car.

However, their sales numbers are very low in Canada. So finding a used one that is 2 or 3 years old (in the colors you want, with the features you want) may be a challenge.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/07/ge ... s-figures/