• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11758 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
I love the G70. I think it's a great car with great options and priced decent for what you get. I've seen more Stingers than G70s. I haven't seen any long term reviews, but a lot of car sites praised the G70/Stinger. If you want more of a handling car, the stinger, if you want more of a luxury interior, G70.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1145 posts
932 upvotes
GTA
Elusivellama wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 8:22 pm
The Genesis reps are also a bunch of clowns, I asked a question and the rep swore up and down that he would get me the info I wanted, and of course he promptly forgot all about me. Later on I found out the info I wanted (about the AWD system), and that really cooled my desire to own one of these.
I felt this way at the Mazda dealer in Mississauga. Every single one there was under 35 and looked like a nightclub goer.

There's a Genesis dealership close to where I live downtown. The cars look great; interiors are top notch. I wish them well.

This looks like a really nice car:
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/genesis/g70 ... 2&sprx=100

Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7331 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
skwigglyline wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 2:03 am
Yes...I'm sure it was quite po$$$itive..
I'm not sure what you intend by that.

Are you saying that the Genesis is expensive so should be good, or, are you suggesting that the Wheels journalist are bribed to write positive columns about the cars they review, or, something else entirely?
Apr 18, 2017
327 posts
554 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 8:13 am
was that a new vehicle you bought?...sound more like you bought something used that may have been in a collision and rebuilt to have problems like that.

opinions on this and other vehicles should only be brought forth if you bought the vehicle new...not fair to state problems that were inherited because of lack of maintenance and other unknown factors that wouldn't fairly portray the life of the vehicle in normal state from new.
Nope, was brand new. The warranties included were 5 years, but it was also a hassle to get them to do anything. Everytime I was in the shop (a lot, clearly) it was like pulling teeth.

And I agree, if I had a used one, it would be somewhat acceptable to have these issues, but not a new one.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1145 posts
932 upvotes
GTA
Jimbobs wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 2:07 pm
I'm not sure what you intend by that.

Are you saying that the Genesis is expensive so should be good, or, are you suggesting that the Wheels journalist are bribed to write positive columns about the cars they review, or, something else entirely?
I think he's saying what most people in Marketing already know .. they are heavily biased as it serves them (journalist) well to give good reviews.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11758 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
User131439 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 2:54 pm
Nope, was brand new. The warranties included were 5 years, but it was also a hassle to get them to do anything. Everytime I was in the shop (a lot, clearly) it was like pulling teeth.

And I agree, if I had a used one, it would be somewhat acceptable to have these issues, but not a new one.
What year was this?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7331 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
georgecantstandya wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 3:34 pm
I think he's saying what most people in Marketing already know .. they are heavily biased as it serves them (journalist) well to give good reviews.
Hmmm ... do they?

In my experience, most people who work in Marketing are reasonably ethical and want honest and therefore useful feedback. If we can't depend on testers, what do we use to base our purchasing decisions? Biased customers?
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12460 posts
8638 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jimbobs wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:54 pm
Hmmm ... do they?

In my experience, most people who work in Marketing are reasonably ethical and want honest and therefore useful feedback. If we can't depend on testers, what do we use to base our purchasing decisions? Biased customers?
Did you forget to put a /s at the end noting sarcasm? Not sure if serious? So you take all reviews as unbiased and fully credible? Wow I’m speechless.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1145 posts
932 upvotes
GTA
Jimbobs wrote:
Hmmm ... do they?

You can't be serious.

It's well documented that journalists and "Media" (across the board) have a conflict of interest in the products they review. A prime example was when Ferrari banned Chris Harris (pre Top Gear fame) from reviewing it's cars due to his single negative article (which wasn't even that negative). https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... -ferraris/

Do you think fashion houses and the like will continue to send "product reviewers" their new offerings if said reviewers are going to be critical?

Don't get me started on Financial "Analysts".
May 3, 2011
123 posts
19 upvotes
Test drove the g70 for 2 days. It was a nice car to drive, but not sure about the interior quality.... the buttons felt plasticky compared to audi and infotainment system could be more modern and updated. I felt the leasing options were a little high. Overall, liked the styling and performance but not enough to actually get it.
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1155 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Hmmm ... do they?

Youtube.

the straightpipes...and throttlehouse....both Canadian....both take $0 from car companies to review and are very fair.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24730 posts
5012 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 10:17 am
I love the G70. I think it's a great car with great options and priced decent for what you get. I've seen more Stingers than G70s. I haven't seen any long term reviews, but a lot of car sites praised the G70/Stinger. If you want more of a handling car, the stinger, if you want more of a luxury interior, G70.
x2 but note that the G70 has many better components underneath in terms of suspension/steering. For the Stinger they used cost-reduced components to get the cost down, accordingly.

G70 is definitely impressive and definitely superior to the already "pretty-darn-good" Stinger. Only it costs more. In this case you do get what you pay for though--higher cost = better product--and this is an item not always true with cars.
Jun 13, 2009
996 posts
245 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 10:17 am
helloo wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 11:39 pm
Test drove the g70 for 2 days. It was a nice car to drive, but not sure about the interior quality.... the buttons felt plasticky compared to audi and infotainment system could be more modern and updated. I felt the leasing options were a little high. Overall, liked the styling and performance but not enough to actually get it.
ES_Revenge wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:03 am
x2 but note that the G70 has many better components underneath in terms of suspension/steering. For the Stinger they used cost-reduced components to get the cost down, accordingly.

G70 is definitely impressive and definitely superior to the already "pretty-darn-good" Stinger. Only it costs more. In this case you do get what you pay for though--higher cost = better product--and this is an item not always true with cars.
Jimbobs....these type of posts are more reliable reviews than anything released by a mainstream source.