Thoughts on this half rack?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2017 3:18 pm
Tags:
15 replies
Jan 25, 2008
230 posts
50 upvotes
I have the fit505 full rack, so I can't comment on how good the adjustable front rack is, but I will talk about rest.

First, the jhook is not very good. Whenever I unrack, my weights hit the side of the hooks. As well, it's not very sturdy. Third of all, I don't like how it's long, the bar will roll to the end all the time. Fourth, no padding on the j hooks, so if you have an expensive bar, the knurling will become smooth.

I've put 400lbs on the j hooks, and they held up well, but shaky. The safeties are also pretty reliable.

A fat grip is harder to hold and may make pullups harder to do, but it'll give a good grip and forearm workout.

Decent rack for its price.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: I'm considering buying this half rack for my basement: http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-h ... ull-up-bar.

What are your thoughts? Does the pull up bar look sturdy? How does a "fat-grip" chin up bar compare to a regular bar? Is a full power rack that much better?
about the "grip" ... I prefer a 90° (?) grip , when your hands are "parallel" for pullups ... but with this bar you can do the "flip" as long as you have a room above ...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
lubmar wrote: about the "grip" ... I prefer a 90° (?) grip , when your hands are "parallel" for pullups ... but with this bar you can do the "flip" as long as you have a room above ...
Is that a good thing? This half rack is 80 inches and my basement ceiling is 89 inches.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: Is that a good thing? This half rack is 80 inches and my basement ceiling is 89 inches.
well ... so will not be able to flip (your body over the bar) with only 9" room , also watch your head with pullups ⬆ ...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
lubmar wrote: well ... so will not be able to flip (your body over the bar) with only 9" room , also watch your head with pullups ⬆ ...
Thanks. What are your thoughts on the thick grip?

I'm trying to decide between this half rack or the full rack from the same company. Full one is $50 more.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: Thanks. What are your thoughts on the thick grip?

I'm trying to decide between this half rack or the full rack from the same company. Full one is $50 more.
i prefer and i am using the "parallel grip" (?) just like on the pic. ... the thickness and a hand size are related , so too thick for one could perfect for another ...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles4ddbig.jpg
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
lubmar wrote: i prefer and i am using the "parallel grip" (?) just like on the pic. ... the thickness and a hand size are related , so too thick for one could perfect for another ...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles4ddbig.jpg
Which would you prefer and why? The half rack in my initial post, or this full rack? http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-power-rack
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: Thanks. What are your thoughts on the thick grip?

Have you ever pulled on thick grips before or used Fat Gripz while lifting? It can be fine for certain contexts (ie developing grip strength, can be more comfortable if you have some tendontitis) but I'd be annoyed to pull on a fat bar all the time.

I don't like the idea of a thick bar because you can't have the choice for a regular thickness. You can always increase the thickness of a regular bar but not the other way around. If you plan to do pronated pull-ups or supinated chin ups, it's fine. If you need to do parallel grip chin ups, that bar won't work. How do you do usually do them?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
amz155 wrote: Have you ever pulled on thick grips before or used Fat Gripz while lifting? It can be fine for certain contexts (ie developing grip strength, can be more comfortable if you have some tendontitis) but I'd be annoyed to pull on a fat bar all the time.

I don't like the idea of a thick bar because you can't have the choice for a regular thickness. You can always increase the thickness of a regular bar but not the other way around. If you plan to do pronated pull-ups or supinated chin ups, it's fine. If you need to do parallel grip chin ups, that bar won't work. How do you do usually do them?
I've never done them before but it's something I'd like to start.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: I've never done them before but it's something I'd like to start.
Then get a bar that's regular thickness/diameter. I wouldn't suggest learning how to vertical pull with a fat grip bar.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
lubmar wrote: well ... so will not be able to flip (your body over the bar) with only 9" room , also watch your head with pullups ⬆ ...
It's called a muscle up.

And the grip you like for pull-ups is called a neutral grip.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
Dark Phoenix wrote: It's called a muscle up.

And the grip you like for pull-ups is called a neutral grip.
how do you call the other way "flip" (legs first - up) over the bar ?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
lubmar wrote: how do you call the other way "flip" (legs first - up) over the bar ?
Not sure what you are talking about.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes
just set up the full rack in my basement a few days ago.
unfortunately my basement ceiling is only 7 feet so this was an extremely tight squeeze.

I had to install the pull up rack upside down.
Not only that but putting it together watch a b**** for me. I put the whole thing together while it lay flat on the ground. Then I tried to lift it up into proper position. Unfortunately due to my low ceilings, I was unable to. I had to take much of it apart, stand the whole thing up and put it back together.

I wish they had labeled all the parts so I wouldn't have made mistakes putting it together.

Haven't actually used it yet so cannot comment on it's use. For the price I'm sure it's decent - considering the next one up in price was more than trip the price from what I saw (Treadmill factory).
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.