None
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
720 upvotes
Nova Scotia

Thoughts on this Kijiji Build?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-computer ... /583898862

Just curious if you think the price is decent for the tower. Thanks.

[QUOTE]specs:
core i3 3.10ghz
1tb hard drive
8gb ram
has windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
ms office 2007 enterprise edition
computer is about 1 year old and was used very lightly. Very fast machine

Price is $325 firm for tower only.[/QUOTE]

Just need the PC for a local community centre to run office apps and other basics. Otherwise I was looking at used Core2Duos from $75-200, being off-lease Lenovos, IBM and HP.
11 replies
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Yea this is a pretty good deal. Windows 7 alone will run you $100. Office another $70.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
That Office 2007 license is most likely cracked/not a legal license. Extrapolating from that it is possible the Windows 7 license isn't valid either. Seeing as this is for a community centre you may want to factor in the cost of the licenses a well. Keeping that in mind, I don't believe this is a good price. For only a bit more than that you can get a new PC.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
yea for being a non profit you really need to be sure everything is legal or you can face heavy fines. Though also as a non profit organization you can usually get either free or cheap software from companies like MS with multiple licenses.

I think this is high for a i3 without warranty and think it is more in the 200-250 range. Also dont believe the hardly used... might be true but no way to prove otherwise.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
jmatheson64 wrote: Just need the PC for a local community centre to run office apps and other basics.
If it is for a community center, I would buy a retail machine or even a refurbished retail HP/Dell machine.

Licences for one thing are not legit on the above machine.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
It also seems like its a cheap custom built pc. If it was a decent good quality PC then he would of listed all the parts used by brand & model. If your going to pay that much for a cheap low quality 1 year old PC then you might as well go buy a new low end machine from a store.

I would personally pickup something like these pcs, at least they are new and come with warranty.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... a05fcfen02

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=2627

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=2627
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Hilarious how people are suggesting a $450 machine + $250 for office when you're looking to spend less than $300.

The LEGAL Office (ie.e not Home and Student because that is not a home nor a student PC) will set you back $250.

There are options out there and you should be able to pick up a used Office 2010 licence for fairly cheap from a business upgrading. MS licences are valid for 1 3rd party transfer so you'd be legal there.

The last thing you want is for a non-profit to be audited and realize they're using illegal software...that would look bad on whoever supplied it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
I used to volunteer for a non profit org and they wanted me to put on Norton's anti virus on all their machines even though the they only had 1 license and i told the Director that doing so would risk a 100k fine and more and he didn't care. i ended up not doing it and stopped volunteering since i didn't trust the director not to throw me under the bus if caught.
Funny thing is that Norton or Symantec is very generous with organizations(or used to be -not sure now) and would have given out free licenses or for very cheap.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Are software audits really THAT common? I don't have much knowledge of NPOs, seems like the BSA has managed to scare people. That or the RFD morality zealots are out in full force :P

Depending on your NPO's needs, a Core 2 machine with Ubuntu and openoffice would likely be enough for basics on a budget.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Are software audits really THAT common? I don't have much knowledge of NPOs, seems like the BSA has managed to scare people.
For home use, perhaps you can justify piracy... but this is a community center, a public institution, surely you should be using legal software...

M1K3Z0R wrote: openoffice
If the OP is going to be setting a machine... might as well set it up properly and get proper software. OpenOffice is fine for causal documents, but if there is any notion of compatibility its best to stick with Office. And since the OP is deploying this machine on behalf of an organization use something inferior and have to deal with the consequences afterwards?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)