• Mar 17th, 2018 11:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 20, 2015
118 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Thoughts on this M4

Checked out this M4 yesterday. https://www.bmwautohaus.ca/used/vehicle ... 646027.htm

Went in because it seemed like a good price, but I found some imperfections with it. The carproof is clean, but I can feel the rear quarter panel on the passenger side has been repainted. If you run your fingers along the edges of the panel near the trunk you can feel its rough, compared to the drivers side. Also under the gas cap you can see the paint lines are not straight.

Also the rear bumper has a tiny 2 mm dent and has a really rough spot. If you run your hand over it, sounds like sand paper lol.

I was actually surprised the dealership is holding a car like this in their inventory. I would assume they would hold the best cars in a showroom but I guess thats what they want people to think..

Im guessing these are the reasons why the car is below market value. I think I would be interested if they can bring the price down to $48k. Is that resonable? or do you guys think I should just skip this one completely. I am looking for a 6 Speed M4 and my budget is 50-55k. Not many out there.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
83 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19991 posts
4919 upvotes
Toronto
M3/4 have not been been selling well (like hotcakes) since 2017. That's why BMW Canada were giving out $5K in factory credit last summer + dealer were unloading them with around 6% off.

$55K asking for this base M4 with scratches and dealer does not bother to have it fixed ... I would not offer even $45K for this at all. In fact, I would not even give Autohaus any business.

My estimate for this car as wholesale would fall in the $42,000 range at most.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2928 posts
2369 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP, if you're going to drop 50-60k on a car like this, do yourself a favor and buy a paint thickness gauge... it will help you spot and prove repairs just like this one without any guess.

And the lighting sucks in there. Tell the dealer you need to see the car outside on a sunny day, and then look at it from every possible angle.
Oct 7, 2016
86 posts
84 upvotes
Shows how cheap that dealer is. That'd cost them about $1500 to repaint, and it'd be a faster sale, closer to their asking price if the bumper and rear 1/4 panel were properly repainted. Any vehicle over $50k, especially if it's in a showroom, should have imperfections like that repaired. It does work to your advantage in a sense though - I'd be offering $45k and maybe going as high as $48 based on the bodywork needed to get it to the shape that it should be in.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19991 posts
4919 upvotes
Toronto
cpo ? If not cpo, then you may want to spend another $5K+ on extended warranty, given you should also need to find out the service history of car, whether significant issues with it or not in the past. You will need to take it to your own mechanic to go thru the PPI as well. At 60,000km, your mechanic should tell you how much tires tread life and brakes are left as I doubt dealer would have replaced them. In other words, before you have even put in an offer, there is a chance you will need another $10K for all those things I have mentioned.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1294 posts
258 upvotes
If you care about resale, I'd steer clear. Most people buying this car will care about paint condition. Repaint will never look as good as factory, especially after detailing.

If you're seriously interested, like someone else suggested, I'd bring my paint thickness gauge and check all the panels. It's possible that other body work has been done.
[OP]
May 20, 2015
118 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the feedback.

I asked the salesperson about bringing it to my garage, he said they dont allow that anymore because 5 years ago someone did that and totaled one of their cars. He said if you dont feel comfortable with our mechanics checking it over then you dont need to buy it...."we dont want to force you to buy it"

I guess I should just keep looking.

Now I feel like writing a complaint to the manager..
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1626 posts
496 upvotes
OP, steer clear (no pun intended) if they told you that you can't have your mechanic see it. That's a huge red flag, right there.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19991 posts
4919 upvotes
Toronto
see. That is such bs. Dealer could have worked with you on this PPI and simply meet you up with their car at your mechanic shop.

Again, that's why Autohaus is one of the worst dealer in GTA. such arrogant behavior.

prirai wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:01 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I asked the salesperson about bringing it to my garage, he said they dont allow that anymore because 5 years ago someone did that and totaled one of their cars. He said if you dont feel comfortable with our mechanics checking it over then you dont need to buy it...."we dont want to force you to buy it"

Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2109 posts
433 upvotes
prirai wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:01 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

Makes sense to steer clear if you’re not comfortable buying it under their terms.

But what would you complain about? It sounds that he basically told you in a polite manner that they can’t accommodate your request and that they are happy to sell to someone else if you don’t want it. I don’t see anything wrong with that unless they literally told you to get lost.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2109 posts
433 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:11 pm
see. That is such bs. Dealer could have worked with you on this PPI and simply meet you up with their car at your mechanic shop.

Again, that's why Autohaus is one of the worst dealer in GTA. such arrogant behavior.
Hmmmm maybe it’s just me, but why should they jump through hoops to do that when they can (or at least think they can) just sell to somebody else?

I just sold one of my cars this past weekend and one guy wanted me to bring it to his mechanic first to get it inspected, and then another guy wanted to take it on the spot. Guess who I sold the car to because it was less work and hassle for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1648 posts
413 upvotes
Kitchener
If your interested in the car then I would do the following:

1) Go back and speak with the salesperson and ask about the carproof again, just to review it and make sure its clean.
2) Then go and inspect the vehicle with the paint thickness gauge and have the salesperson with you. As you get to problem areas show them to the sales guy and highlight that its weird that a car with a clean carproof seems to have been repainted, especially in a spot like the quarter panel which normally is not a "bump" area.
3) See that the salesperson says and then escalate to the manager as concern that they are selling a car that has had prior damage that is not being reported.

I think if you play this game, if you really want it, you may increase the negotiating room for yourself. Assuming the manager is interested in keeping their license, especially if you threaten to contact OMVIC since they now can sell the car as clean, regardless of the carproof.

Personally I would be really suspect of quarter panel damage as that's a weird place for damage, unless something fell on the car but still strange
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19991 posts
4919 upvotes
Toronto
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:17 pm
Hmmmm maybe it’s just me, but why should they jump through hoops to do that when they can (or at least think they can) just sell to somebody else?

I just sold one of my cars this past weekend and one guy wanted me to bring it to his mechanic first to get it inspected, and then another guy wanted to take it on the spot. Guess who I sold the car to because it was less work and hassle for me.
point taken. If dealer wishes to sell cars with that kind of attitude, then perhaps, they should have a big sign in front of the dealership that no independent inspection is allowed on any used cars at all. In this way, the prospective buyers can decide to check out their cars or not and thereby no unnecessary time are wasted for both parties.

Also, if they do have such policy, they should also have one for new cars too. Do not bother asking us to give you a test drive on NEW vehicle. If you don't buy it, then there are people who will buy it without test driving.

Just some random thoughts.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2829 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
Just noticed 28 viewed counter on the website. Maybe they will think wow, people are interested and hold out.
[OP]
May 20, 2015
118 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:14 pm
Makes sense to steer clear if you’re not comfortable buying it under their terms.

But what would you complain about? It sounds that he basically told you in a polite manner that they can’t accommodate your request and that they are happy to sell to someone else if you don’t want it. I don’t see anything wrong with that unless they literally told you to get lost.
I guess i just wanted to voice my displeasure with the condition of the car as well. Not really complaining about the salesperson.