Thoughts on public schools in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 11:30 am
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1653 posts
433 upvotes
Woodbridge
I also agree with the point that fundraising can provide more access to equipment in the classroom. I work at a school that has access to quite a lot of technology. Most of my students bring their own laptops to class every day and the school has Chromebooks for those that don't. I plan my program based on the fact that I know my students will have consistent 1:1 access to technology at school and at home. If I worked at a school that did not have the same access to technology I'd have to modify my program accordingly. We live in a digital world and students need to learn how to use technology effectively and appropriately. Unfortunately, even within the same board, you have a large range of access to these resources.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2051 posts
1451 upvotes
Vancouver
KennyX wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 10:36 am
I do believe that there is a big difference in the environment and backgrounds of the children that will ultimately be interacting with our little ones from neighborhood to neighborhood. I don’t want this to turn into a big debate on rich vs. poor, race, culture differences, etc… but it’s also not a coincidence that school rankings are reflected by some of these factors.
School rankings are bunk. Lower test scores that result in lower school rankings do not mean your kid's achievement will be dragged down compared to going to a school where the averages are higher. That's a myth. Putting your kids in a school with a bunch of other rich white kids does not give them any advantage over putting them in an environment with a diverse population that more closely resembles the real world. In fact having your kids interact respectfully with diverse populations from an early age gives them more of an advantage in preparing them for the real world than you might think. Don't be afraid of the environment and backgrounds of other kids.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8179 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
Do more "affluent" schools have less or more bad behaving students? Drugs, guns, etc?

Maybe thats a difference.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8179 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
Forgot to say, one advantage of putting your kids in a more rich area, or private school that's famous are the future connections they will get.

Like Upper Canada college, his classmate may become the next Premier or PM of Canada. Or a Justice of Peace, etc.

Connections is a big difference if you compare.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4921 posts
449 upvotes
Scarborough
howcome nobody talks about the big elephant in the room..............drugs and gangs..........isn't that the biggest problem in public schools these days?
Jan 3, 2018
34 posts
12 upvotes
I don't know because my kids are too young however from the 2 teachers that I know, in their schools, a big problem is mental illness. They have never spoken about drugs or gangs. Not sure about other schools.
apnayloags wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 10:28 am
howcome nobody talks about the big elephant in the room..............drugs and gangs..........isn't that the biggest problem in public schools these days?