Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote: SHOP is holding up the TSX
ATH daily, +3% a day

$1150 CAD today

https://ca.investing.com/equities/shopi ... ?cid=25152
Was about to say just this...and then you have people investing in 3% GIC/HISA as a yearly interest rate, while this stock is getting this daily. Any pullback the past few months have been a joke and recovered same day/next day.

I've been buying & selling $5k worth everyday and making $150/day for fun lol
Dec 31, 2015
858 posts
234 upvotes
I always kick myself for missing out on SHOP since I actually like their service and what they offer. Been looking at it for years but always thought there's no way they can keep going up lol
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3596550-s ... on-revenue

Shopify (NYSE:SHOP): Q2 Non-GAAP EPS of $1.05 beats by $1.03; GAAP EPS of $0.29 beats by $0.87.

Revenue of $714.34M (+97.3% Y/Y) beats by $202.78M.

Gross merchandise volume +119% to $30.1B vs. consensus of $19.90B; Subscription revenue +28% to $196.4M vs. consensus of $192M.

premarket +7% to ATH
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Aug 15, 2003
495 posts
22 upvotes
This has been my most successful pick since I started investing two and a half years ago. However I made the mistake of selling half my position after it doubled, then selling more in the last month. Lesson learned for me is to let my winners run. I would have been much better off leaving it alone, or even better adding to my position over time.
Jun 11, 2018
17 posts
19 upvotes
jimbojones wrote: This has been my most successful pick since I started investing two and a half years ago. However I made the mistake of selling half my position after it doubled, then selling more in the last month. Lesson learned for me is to let my winners run. I would have been much better off leaving it alone, or even better adding to my position over time.
Selling half when it doubled is not a bad thing. Return of your principal and a free option on the stock.

Don't beat yourself up! Nobody ever lost money taking profit.
Aug 15, 2003
495 posts
22 upvotes
RalphL85405 wrote: Selling half when it doubled is not a bad thing. Return of your principal and a free option on the stock.

Don't beat yourself up! Nobody ever lost money taking profit.
The interesting thing for me is that I won't cut my losses on bad stocks, but I trim winning stocks. Psychologically I hate selling when my stocks are down 50+%, but I trim my winning stocks because I think they are overvalued. If I look at my portfolio since I started, I would be better off doing the opposite! Limit my loss by selling losers quickly, and adding to my winners because they keep performing. Overall I'm happy a grateful that I was able to lock in some profits but I might try a different strategy going forward. The risk is that over time I would only own richly valued stocks and as soon as growth slows they will correct quickly.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2721 posts
705 upvotes
jimbojones wrote: This has been my most successful pick since I started investing two and a half years ago. However I made the mistake of selling half my position after it doubled, then selling more in the last month. Lesson learned for me is to let my winners run. I would have been much better off leaving it alone, or even better adding to my position over time.
Everyone has a story just like this....why is this a negative? You learned a huge lesson, and will adjust your strategy.

Consider the money left on the table as your tuition. There will be plenty of other 'shopify's'. Don't miss the next ones.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
Everybody dreams of one day buying a stock that if they had invested $10,000, would one day make them a millionaire. For those who got in the IPO, I think this may be a reality (I am not one of them). Congrats to those who have been holding since the beginning. Best I've managed is a 10-bagger with Visa
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
That's still a good strategy. I tend to sell once a stock hits around 20-30%. Only exception to this is AAPL, MSFT, AMZN and TSLA in my portfolio simply because of their huge growth and ability to rapidly adapt. To get over the "I wish I kept" feeling, I just focus on investing on another stock. In the long run, this strategy helped me avoid the massive drops after a huge run up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
SHOP is great for day traders.
its highly volatile and moves up/down by 3-5% regularly.

I totally believe in their product - its awesome - and they're making the right partnerships too.

Long term, its still a scary price for such a company.
Its basically like buying Amazon at today's price, but 10 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
xcentric wrote: Lightspeed and DCBO, Shop 2.0 ?
There was a weird spike down to $35 a few days ago on DCBO, I'm holding a very small position
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
notenoughsleep wrote: Everybody dreams of one day buying a stock that if they had invested $10,000, would one day make them a millionaire. For those who got in the IPO, I think this may be a reality (I am not one of them). Congrats to those who have been holding since the beginning. Best I've managed is a 10-bagger with Visa
Guilty. It's been a wild ride and you need to have a the stomach to see your portfolio value go down 10k-100k on a daily basis.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1181 posts
247 upvotes
xcentric wrote: Lightspeed and DCBO, Shop 2.0 ?
These are my 3 biggest holdings SHOP, LSPD and DCBO. All doing great so far. I bought SHOP 3 years ago. Hoping that LSPD and DCBO replicate the same growth as SHOP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)