Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Mar 20, 2011
1324 posts
821 upvotes
Bowmanville
Clearly PS+ is not for everyone. I will also gladly pay full price for games that I want to play. Thanks to PS+, I get to buy more beer lol! I also buy more DLC for the games that I get for free....funny how that happened....

Anyway, I heard Double Dragon is decent. Gets pretty weird, with fighting in space and stuff I guess... According to Joystiq, at least.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/10/doubl ... #continued

Friggin' Abobo...cost me so many quarters...
Mar 28, 2010
683 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver
Coz4k wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 7:37 pm
So you paid 50$/year to RENT these games/movies. Half of them are horrible and somes are good.

Still not worth it imo. I prefer to buy games that i will actually play.

Got 1-2 months of PS+ for free last year and it sucked. All i had was game demos and some games that stopped working after the subs ended.
Lulz, do you even know your video games?
Nov 23, 2007
342 posts
21 upvotes
Post #10......is that a new record for a troll to emerge in a PS+ thread?

I really don't see why ppl continue to bash this program. I already saved $50 with PS+ freebies and I'm only 3 months in on a 12 month sub!

Thrilled to see Scott Pilgrim on the list. I was actually considering on getting that this week after re-watching the movie this past weekend.
RedFlagSTEALS: 2015 - nothing major....yet ;)
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10130 posts
1205 upvotes
PS+ is a crazy good value for what you get. Even if you only like 2-3 of the free games, it's a much better value than XBox Live Gold. I use both services and PS+ is so much better. And of the course all the discounts you get on DLC and games on the Playstation store.

The fact is that PS+ costs basically the same amount as Live Gold and offers MUCH more. Live Gold has not risen to the challenge and as let PSN overtake it.

Thanks OP for telling us the new deals and freebies.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
3119 posts
305 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 9:06 pm
PS+ is a crazy good value for what you get. Even if you only like 2-3 of the free games, it's a much better value than XBox Live Gold. I use both services and PS+ is so much better. And of the course all the discounts you get on DLC and games on the Playstation store.

The fact is that PS+ costs basically the same amount as Live Gold and offers MUCH more. Live Gold has not risen to the challenge and as let PSN overtake it.

Thanks OP for telling us the new deals and freebies.
Gold is essentially just online + party chat. The discounts etc. are "bonuses", whereas Plus is for the sole purpose of getting discounts and freebies, so you can't compare the two much. Gold is much more enjoyable in the sense that online is way better (although we really shouldn't have to pay for Party Chat + Live). They are two different services hence the "Live" in Xbox Live Gold. You basically NEED gold for the full experience whereas PSN PLUS is exactly that; it's a "plus" or optional service. You can say Live is optional, but you really kinda need it for the full experience.. (online gaming). I enjoy both services though.

I repeated myself a lot and rambled on so what I said might have sounded repetitive or confusing so sorry. lol, really tired.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10130 posts
1205 upvotes
BlissKira wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 9:17 pm
Gold is essentially just online + party chat. The discounts etc. are "bonuses", whereas Plus is for the sole purpose of getting discounts and freebies, so you can't compare the two much. Gold is much more enjoyable in the sense that online is way better (although we really shouldn't have to pay for Party Chat + Live). They are two different services hence the "Live" in Xbox Live Gold. You basically NEED gold for the full experience whereas PSN PLUS is exactly that; it's a "plus" or optional service. You can say Live is optional, but you really kinda need it for the full experience.. (online gaming). I enjoy both services though.

I repeated myself a lot and rambled on so what I said might have sounded repetitive or confusing so sorry. lol, really tired.
Makes sense, no worries.

I'm a gamer in my 30s and my time is limited and I will add that PS+ has a bunch of features that save me time - mainly the auto download and install of system updates, game patches, trophy sync, uploading save files to cloud storage. So when I get home from work and have limited time available to play games I can just be ready to go game and not waiting to crap to download. That in itself is almost worth the price of admission for me.
Jul 28, 2009
563 posts
64 upvotes
Persuade wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 8:43 pm
Post #10......is that a new record for a troll to emerge in a PS+ thread?

I really don't see why ppl continue to bash this program. I already saved $50 with PS+ freebies and I'm only 3 months in on a 12 month sub!

Thrilled to see Scott Pilgrim on the list. I was actually considering on getting that this week after re-watching the movie this past weekend.
scott pilgrim is gettin an online multiplayer patch soon too. best way to play that game is with 4 ppl.
Apr 12, 2010
686 posts
118 upvotes
Coz4k wrote:
So you paid 50$/year to RENT these games/movies. Half of them are horrible and somes are good.

Got 1-2 months of PS+ for free last year and it sucked. All i had was game demos and some games that stopped working after the subs ended.
I agree, I prefer to buy games I know I want to play too. But then I like being able to rent games that I might want to play as well.
And there are always games I overlook because there are too many games out nowadays to fully keep track of.

And no, I paid $50 for auto cloud-save storage mainly. I've went through losing my entire library of saved games both on PS3 and 360 and I'm not going through it again.

The discounts to various games and DLC are nice too, like for NBA Jam, inFamous Festival of Blood and Shadow of the Colossus that I picked up on discount.

The games are great too of course.
Some of the games I already own (Plants vs Zombies, inFamous 2, Warhammer 40k, Borderlands) but I'm sure not everyone owns does.
Some of the games I would have bought (Simpson's Arcade Game, Frogger, Sega Genesis Collection) but I got them for PS+.
Some of the games I wanted to try (Swords & Soldiers, Shank 2, Renegade Ops, Awesomenauts, Hard Corp Uprising, Zombie Apocalypse, Walking Dead, Choplifter HD) and I ended up enjoying them.
Some of the games I wanted to try (Fatal Inertia, BattleFantasia, Far Cry 2, Gotham City Imposters, Shift 2) but after trying them found they were boring, but hey I got to try them out for free.

Being able to play Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3's multiplayer early were a nice bonus too, with the early beta access for PS+. Although I think UC3 was around the time everyone had free access to PS+.

And then thrown in all the fun little items like free avatars and dynamic themes if you like that sort of thing.

If you want to be a crabby, closed minded troll you can, to each his own right?
Trying not to sound too much like a drive-by advertisement, PS+ definitely gives back enough for the price of admission though imo.
In the two and a half or so years I've had PS+ I've gotten good value, and the service keeps getting better as the perks we get access to get better.

(Just to add I have a XBL gold account too, nothing wrong with having both and enjoying both!)

/troll x 2
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
2723 posts
503 upvotes
Honestly if you're gonna do the whole "rent" thing, gameaccess is WAY better if you have more than just a PS3. 120 a year but you get whatever game you want for any console.

Also, buying has its own virtues. Some people prefer a collection. Also, trade in value.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2006
9975 posts
416 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 12:18 am
Honestly if you're gonna do the whole "rent" thing, gameaccess is WAY better if you have more than just a PS3. 120 a year but you get whatever game you want for any console.

Also, buying has its own virtues. Some people prefer a collection. Also, trade in value.
You misunderstand. PS+ does provide access to some full retail games (quite a few have actually been made available) but its these $10 - $20 games that are PSN only is where you truly get your money worth. Sure, the majority of games some people may not be into or some people may not be into the whole $10 downloadable game but for those who are, its completely worth it.

You can't build a collection of these games because the second PSN dies, you lose these games. Also, they have no TIV. GameAccess provides physical discs which means your missing out on download-only games.
Apr 8, 2007
642 posts
86 upvotes
Milton
Coz4k wrote:

$50 per year is not a lot to "rent" these. I've been a subscriber since the beginning, and the ps+ specific sales alone make it worth it, they are constantly giving ps+ discounts on games, so to pay 11 dollars instead of 15 dollars on a few games adds up quick...

Also, people don't seem to have any of these issues when using netflix. You have access to all those movies so long as you subscribe, yet when ps+ comes up, a lot of people bring up this renting thing. Why not complain about netflix and how they operate too? it's basically the same idea.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2006
1050 posts
38 upvotes
Gxgear wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 8:25 pm
Lulz, do you even know your video games?
I doubt he even played a quarter of that list.
Dec 30, 2010
965 posts
133 upvotes
PS+ is worth it. Been a subscriber since February, but didn't renew my membership when it ended two days ago.

You get ALOT of games, so many infact, that you could essentially last playing PS+ games and wouldn't even need to purchase new games. That doesn't mean that all the games will interest you, but they arent forcing you to play any of them. Infact, I probably only play a third of the games I download from plus because there are so many that pile up that you have no interest in playing at the moment while you actively purchase games you want to play. So two piles of games are building, one from RFD sales, the other from the plus subscription. I only purchase games I want to play though, and am genuinely interested in, so I will obviously prioritize that pile first.

I only paid ~$18 for 3 months and had a couple free one month vouchers. I got to play alot of games I didnt want to purchase but wanted to check out, so its not bad for 3 months on $18 and it was more than a fair deal IMO.

The thing is, people like me, who are actively purchasing games when they see RFD sales, pile up backlogs quickly. Recently I hadn't had the time to even play the games I purchased in this month alone, and I already bought a few more from the $10 coupon @ Bestbuy on Friday. These games are going to last me until March 2013 depending on how often I play, so I saw no reason in renewing my plus subscription since I know that I am never going to get the chance to play these games and that the pile will keep building up.

I may use a one month code at the end of the month just to download borderlands and save it to my harddrive, so I can play it later in April when I renew my plus subscription for another 3 months.

The added fact is the system automatically downloads patches for your games (like starhawk) and installls them so you dont have to worry about dealing with them when you start your game. I dont care much about the cloud save storage since I haven't had problems with my PS3 (and hopefully I never do) but its always nice to have a backup.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the discounts which are pretty significant. You can save quite a bit compared to the regular psn members who actively buy downloadable games (30-50% comparison).
With the exception of super sales like the pixeljunk fiasco earlier this year (4 games for $3 :cheesygri ) and dlc or games that came with my physical purchase like warhawk in the limited edition of starhawk; I personally avoid buying downloadable games. I prefer physical copies of my games just because of preference but I can clearly the benefit of downloadable titles, not dealing with the discs, faster load times, the fact that your games may be backwards compatible in the future when newer systems hit, etc. I just love game coverart and manuals (which is a shame because manuals have really become sloppy this generation).
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
3119 posts
305 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2012 9:44 pm
Makes sense, no worries.

I'm a gamer in my 30s and my time is limited and I will add that PS+ has a bunch of features that save me time - mainly the auto download and install of system updates, game patches, trophy sync, uploading save files to cloud storage. So when I get home from work and have limited time available to play games I can just be ready to go game and not waiting to crap to download. That in itself is almost worth the price of admission for. me.
Yeah those features are pretty useful but I actually turn them off since I have to budget my 175gb monthly limit... Which is why I normally skip out on the full free games since I play them from disc for free as well (free rentals anyways).

I do however love the psn games that they give out, worth it for plus just for that lol.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5373 posts
1163 upvotes
I'm happy I'm not poor so I can own every system and every online service and play whatever I want on whatever system I have so I don't need to go on the internet and try to make myself feel better by trolling other products and services I don't have because deep down I'm just jealous and I'm also thankful I got to type out this one big long run on sentence.
× < >