Site Comments & Suggestions

Threadcrapping in the Buy/Sell revisited - time for a lock.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2005 4:54 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Thread Lock available in Buy/Sell section, Yes or No?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts

Threadcrapping in the Buy/Sell revisited - time for a lock.

Well I was reading this recent post in the BuySell section of RFD, for example:

showthread.php?p=1413940#post1413940

And it really struck me that something needs to be done about threadcrapping. Personally I do not care if somebody asks a $1000 for a pack of used gum BUT I do not think it is anyone elses business to start arguing that the price is too expensive.

If the price is too expensive - no one will buy it. End of story.

Now the thread I posted in the link above turned into an arguing match and general mess - why can't the mods allow the locking (no posting) to Buy and Sell threads?

yeah I know that it will be pushed down from other ads - but so what? It's better then the threadcrapping that is occuring on a regular basis lately.
the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
63 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2003
2174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I have an idea, how about no one is allowed to make posts in other people's BST threads? I guess it keeps things a bit tidy. Oh well, just a suggestion. One thing I find unfair is that people who have more "friends" always bump their friends threads and other threads get bumped down easily.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
I vouched for thread lock by the OP before and I'll vouch for it again. :) Admins think it'll open another can of worm. Maybe allow such function in BST forums only?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
Yeah poppa that is another thing as well which could be solved. Good idea. And really I'm not trying to open a can of worms - there is an obvious problem in the B/Sell threads which seems not to be fixing itself on its own. I am NOT trying to upset any mods.
the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
The BST forums are getting out of hand these days. A lot of them turned into a shouting match... over the internet, no less. :confused: poppa's suggestion is great. But that takes care of a lot of friendly BUMP's as well. Imagine only 2 BUMP's a day allowed, threads will get flushed out of page 5 within a day, easily.

I think the mods can take a harder approach on the thread-capping (1 week "vacation" or something like that) as a deterrant

ron, no one was upset or anything when it was brought up here. Derek responded and said the idea won't fly. That was pretty much the end of discussion. No biggie. It was a suggestion, and maybe it's time to reconsider it. :)
Jun 18, 2004
349 posts
2 upvotes
Downtown, Toronto
I like the idea of only allowing the original poster in the BST forum to reply to the thread. This will:

1) Eliminate threadcrapping and
2) limit total bumps per day to the limit set by RFD (currently 2) since only the original poster can bump the thread.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5567 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
I think what you guys are looking for is more of a classified style structure. If others can't reply to it then they can't ask valid questions and thus sellers cannot give valid answers. You may one day see a classifieds section but that's something different if you ask me.

As for threadcrapping. Your best bet is to report the post if you have a problem with it. The moderators can't monitor every thread due to the volume so we need your help in moderating the forums.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
i dont think we should lock threads unless it people post nonsence or stupidity...otherwise, we should value others opinions.....isnt that what RFD is based on...threads and posts....people posting their opinions and views,...so if you lock therads , whats the point, people learn through other people....and you'd be taking that away
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1343 posts
6 upvotes
Burlington
Derek wrote:I think what you guys are looking for is more of a classified style structure. If others can't reply to it then they can't ask valid questions and thus sellers cannot give valid answers. You may one day see a classifieds section but that's something different if you ask me.
If you prevent posts other than from the OP, questions can still be asked via PM. If the question is relevant, the OP would modify their post to reflect the answer. The net result would be a cleaner BST forum, without the noise and only bumps/updates in the threads.

It would also prevent the bumps-as-responses-to-questions that the mods have to police.
There are two types of people in the world,
those who search for hidden messages, and those who don't.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3965 posts
2155 upvotes
Edmonton
If a reply like "Very good price!" is allowed, then why is something like "You are selling for higher than retail!" considered threadcrapping? If we can pose such concerns/questions in the Hot Deals section, then why not in BST as well? Isn't it a goal for this site to try to help both buyer and seller to find the best deal? :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8663 posts
1557 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you allow criticisms other than against the seller's honesty you open the door for way to much crap to happen that will kill the thread..you see it in news groups and why its not allowed here. Eventually it would just escalate to immediate criticisim with comparisons to uncommon deals not really applicable if their not readily available. With a sole desire for a regular unscrupulous buyer to whittle the price down to as low as possible. If its too much for the moderators, is their a way to give the poster more admin privileges. Or allow instead of bump just make it so you can only post a "pm" for private message so that general questions would be answered by the poster by editing his original post, after viewing private messages. Popular posts could be judge by amount viewed not replied.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
lead wrote:If you allow criticisms other than against the seller's honesty you open the door for way to much crap to happen that will kill the thread..you see it in news groups and why its not allowed here. Eventually it would just escalate to immediate criticisim with comparisons to uncommon deals not really applicable if their not readily available. With a sole desire for a regular unscrupulous buyer to whittle the price down to as low as possible. If its too much for the moderators, is their a way to give the poster more admin privileges. Or allow instead of bump just make it so you can only post a "pm" for private message so that general questions would be answered by the poster by editing his original post, after viewing private messages. Popular posts could be judge by amount viewed not replied.

i think if you take away the BUMPING privilage from all b/s/t posts, which i strongly would not like doing, BUT, let anyone post what you guys call "criticisms", a lot of the "cr@p" will not be posted. this way instead of a pm just being sent with no bump (because a pm doesnt allow for bumping), buyer and seller can still communicate to the public (on a thread), still without the bump....instead of giving people minor admin privilages.
i dont like this but if "this" is such a big problem, this is the way i would run the board imo.

ChinpokoMon wrote:If a reply like "Very good price!" is allowed, then why is something like "You are selling for higher than retail!" considered threadcrapping? If we can pose such concerns/questions in the Hot Deals section, then why not in BST as well? Isn't it a goal for this site to try to help both buyer and seller to find the best deal? :confused:

exactly
Deal Addict
May 31, 2002
1079 posts
ChinpokoMon wrote:If a reply like "Very good price!" is allowed, then why is something like "You are selling for higher than retail!" considered threadcrapping? If we can pose such concerns/questions in the Hot Deals section, then why not in BST as well? Isn't it a goal for this site to try to help both buyer and seller to find the best deal? :confused:
I agree with this argument, but I also agree that threadcrapping can be abused to drive prices down. Having said that, couldn't unscrupulous sellers register a new nick and reply "Very good price!" to make people think that a third party is endorsing the deal?

So I support the suggestion that all replies be disallowed and the BST become a classified. E.g. Howard Forums' BST. Even without public discussion, it's popular.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
artsreview wrote:I agree with this argument, but I also agree that threadcrapping can be abused to drive prices down. Having said that, couldn't unscrupulous sellers register a new nick and reply "Very good price!" to make people think that a third party is endorsing the deal?

So I support the suggestion that all replies be disallowed and the BST become a classified. E.g. Howard Forums' BST. Even without public discussion, it's popular.

this is a classified section...not a business...people are NOT here to make money,aka profit, so if someone wants to ask for a lower price, so be it....the seller can simply say "no, i do not like your offer but thank you anyhow."

whats so hard about that?