Site Comments & Suggestions

Threads discussing terrible service aren't allowed?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2015 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2321 posts
897 upvotes

Threads discussing terrible service aren't allowed?

I am wondering why these threads are being locked?

You have threads where someone is openly complaining about a driver instructor, yet people can't vent their frustration on shady tactics from a particular tire shop?

This same tactic has happened in the past with another automotive shop in the Mississauga area.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39842 posts
3914 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Its bc rfd is now all corporate. Its run by yellow pages inc. so they are wary of law suits and also conflict of interest... Many business still list in the yellow pages, and its bad business practice to sell your advertising to businesses and then talk bad about them. Even though its independent users doing the critisism its still on a yellow pages affiliated website.
Aug 5, 2012
574 posts
300 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Ultimately it is the individuals like us that is reason for the existence of RFD in the first place. Better for RFD to examine its values in matters of exposing dishonesty by RFDers.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2442 posts
964 upvotes
Mississauga
This place has become a corporate cesspool run by 'yes men' mods.

The community, for the better part, is great and RFD should realize there is no RFD without the community.

While I'm not for 'bashing', I believe that feedback, reviews of products and services (positive and negative) should be allowed.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6347 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, threads complaining about terrible service are allowed. they are posted with great regularity.
Why do they locked?
Perhaps it's because there is only one side of the story being spouted and the bandwagon jumpers make the situation worse. It is one thing to complain about the service but a completely different thing when it goes on and on and takes on a life of its own without even considering the other side of the story.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Jan 30, 2013
522 posts
89 upvotes
Vancouver
It's sad we can not share our experiences :(
May 29, 2007
450 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 4:51 pm
Yes, threads complaining about terrible service are allowed. they are posted with great regularity.
Why do they locked?
Perhaps it's because there is only one side of the story being spouted and the bandwagon jumpers make the situation worse. It is one thing to complain about the service but a completely different thing when it goes on and on and takes on a life of its own without even considering the other side of the story.
I disagree. In the latest example related to Steve's Tires there were opportunities for the business owner to explain overcharging the customer. He chose instead to get the OP to pull the thread without explanation. Users voicing their opinion on the overcharging is fair. I think that this section is regularly used to promote good businesses (which is fine) but why isn't the forum also for alerting users to those practicing poor business practices. If Google can handle negative reviews then I think Yellow Pages should be able to. But it's their site at the end of the day. I guess we can't pretend it's a free and open forum.
May 27, 2007
15683 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
zzzz24 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 3:28 pm
I am wondering why these threads are being locked?

You have threads where someone is openly complaining about a driver instructor, yet people can't vent their frustration on shady tactics from a particular tire shop?

This same tactic has happened in the past with another automotive shop in the Mississauga area.
The original thread would have stayed open if the OP didn't decide to bail.
The second thread was locked because it contributes nothing other than start bickering. Rather than trolling the forums, why not e-mail "Steve" and get an official response?

We do not censor reviews unless RFD gets served with some sort of legal take down notice. Although I'm sure a majority of you would disagree.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2321 posts
897 upvotes
Because the OP says "delete" after it's 8 pages long, it's ok to just lock it?

Second thread should have remained. If you wanted to lock the first one because of the original poster, that's one thing, but the shop in question should have been allowed to be openly discussed in the second thread, whether it be negative or positive.

Email Steve to get a response and then what? Post it on here for that thread to be locked as well?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10635 posts
17195 upvotes
Scarborough
Some negative review threads get locked but overall it's a very small percentage. There are literally thousands of them on RFD. A few reasons might be because we're served with a legal notice or the thread simply turns ugly. Whenever we do close a thread because of a legal notice we do investigate and only do so if we feel the review is false.

In this particular case I have spoken to both the OP and Steve and before I managed to finish my investigation, it seems that they resolved the issue themselves. I'll try to provide an update with a summary of what happened sometime next week.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6347 upvotes
Ottawa
CraigLee wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 5:12 pm
I disagree. In the latest example related to Steve's Tires there were opportunities for the business owner to explain overcharging the customer. He chose instead to get the OP to pull the thread without explanation. Users voicing their opinion on the overcharging is fair. I think that this section is regularly used to promote good businesses (which is fine) but why isn't the forum also for alerting users to those practicing poor business practices. If Google can handle negative reviews then I think Yellow Pages should be able to. But it's their site at the end of the day. I guess we can't pretend it's a free and open forum.
You may disagree but the fact remains that it becomes a bashing of the shop regardless of that the owner tries to say. The gang mentality here requires moderation and the Mods were right to lock or delete the thread.
It seems the the guy registering the complaint was always n the right and his story is the definitively true. It may come as a surprise but the OP's sometimes are not smart about car (or other products) and not right and completely misunderstand the situation.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
985 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
mau_mau wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 4:40 pm
This place has become a corporate cesspool run by 'yes men' mods..
Lol. I may be biased but I dont think we are 'yes men'
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH