Site Comments & Suggestions

Threads showing up with blank titles in search results

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2017 12:01 am
5 replies
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
8213 posts
12625 upvotes
Scarborough
Those threads both had titles which contained special characters in them. I just removed them so they should show up normally now. I thought we had fixed that bug but maybe not. I'll inquire about that tomorrow.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
26200 posts
5285 upvotes
I've seen that occur recently as well when I click on show all new posts in the menu
Don't talk about it, be about it
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
8213 posts
12625 upvotes
Scarborough
MrDisco wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:12 pm
I've seen that occur recently as well when I click on show all new posts in the menu
Post some screenshots if you see it again. Perhaps an update reverted the fix for that.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
26200 posts
5285 upvotes
IMG_7177.PNG
You can see here the contest post is missing the title and only showing the drop down category tag
Don't talk about it, be about it
Administrator
User avatar
Mar 8, 2015
43 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This particular bug has been fixed; thanks for the report. There have been other bugs in the past with the same or similar symptoms, so please keep the reports coming, and we'll keep whacking the moles.

For anybody interested in the technical details (tl;dr warning), the open-source forums engine we use piggybacks off of the search page for certain special pages, such as "New Posts". Search pages are supposed to highlight the keywords that you search for, so their algorithm was written to find and highlight keywords that are basically sandwiched between non-word characters ("regex word boundaries"; an alphanumeric character, hyphen or underscore). Now, for those special pages, the keyword is set to nothing ("empty string"), so when the algorithm encounters a multibyte character such as ©, ® or ™, the algorithm would go in the middle of that character, see that "nothing" is sandwiched between two bytes that don't represent a word character, and then add the highlighting markup right there, thereby fracturing the multibyte character. It messes up the text so badly that the censoring feature that comes further down the pipe can't handle it well and just spits out null. I've done a quick-fix for us, and will be submitting a fix to the forums engine later.
For inquiries, please message TomRFD.

Top