• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2016 8:53 am
[OP]
May 13, 2008
1 posts
Toronto

Three tickets in a row

Today I got three tickets:
1) Driving on a non-designated lane (I was looking to park, so I kept right and only drove about 300m on the lane) - 85$
2) Having previous address on the vehicle permit - 110$
3) Not having a sticker on the back of my vehicle permit - 110$

What's funny the #2 offence is written as "Fail to notify change of address".
When I got to the MofT they told me that my new address is in their system (since I updated my driving license).
So I wonder how does this charge hold?
I never got my sticker on my car permit, thought that having it on the license plate is good enough, got stopped before but it never was an issue.

Also #1 offence is arguable since I don't understand how not to drive on the non-designated lane when you need to turn right.
#2 and #3 look like pure technicalities.
I'd pay the money and forget, but now I'll have 3 tickets so my insurance will increase, which is not fair since those are not traffic violations.
Have anyone got those kinds of tickets and fought them successfully?
I read the sticky note, but couldn't find any information relevant to my case (sorry if I missed it).
12 replies
Jun 7, 2009
166 posts
31 upvotes
VeraLi wrote:
May 20th, 2016 9:44 pm
1) Driving on a non-designated lane (I was looking to park, so I kept right and only drove about 300m on the lane) - 85$

When I got to the MofT they told me that my new address is in their system (since I updated my driving license).
I never got my sticker on my car permit, thought that having it on the license plate is good enough, got stopped before but it never was an issue.

Also #1 offence is arguable since I don't understand how not to drive on the non-designated lane when you need to turn right.
I'd pay the money and forget, but now I'll have 3 tickets so my insurance will increase, which is not fair since those are not traffic violations.
I read the sticky note, but couldn't find any information relevant to my case (sorry if I missed it).
For the last two, just go to the courthouse and speak with the prosecutor, if you can prove that you have rectified the problems, they'll cancel the tickets.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2330 posts
645 upvotes
If it's not a lane, then it's not a lane. If you have to turn right, you do so at the end of the lane to the left of the lane that's not a lane and then turn right at your parking spot/driveway/road.

Most of us would probably do what you do, but that doesn't mean that according to the HTA, we're allowed to.

Just take everything to court. As the poster above said, #2 and #3 will get dropped if you go change your address and also put the sticker on the back of your plate paper. It's kind of redundant now that technology will let the cops know everything on their computers, but the law is the law for both of those things. For number one, if he cop doesn't show, it'll get dropped. If he shows they'll probably drop it to an even lesser charge. Not sure what's even lower than that though.
Aug 20, 2010
105 posts
21 upvotes
robot123 wrote:
May 20th, 2016 10:17 pm
For the last two, just go to the courthouse and speak with the prosecutor, if you can prove that you have rectified the problems, they'll cancel the tickets.
Yup. If al three happened at once, speak to the prosecutor and ask him politely to give you a break on the two latter tickets and plead guilty to the other charge. Yiu can usually get a pre-trial date to talk this over with a prosecutor (in gta usually)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2008 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
VeraLi wrote:
May 20th, 2016 9:44 pm

I don't see how any of these should affect your insurance.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16063 posts
6226 upvotes
"Technicality" - is that what you call not obeying the law? Is not coming to a complete stop a "technicality" too? Is driving above the speed limit a "technicality" too?

Own up to your mistakes and take responsibility for your actions. If you know you did what you were ticketed for, man up and accept responsibility rather than attempting to weasel out of it.

As to your question - depending on the ticket #1 may affect insurance. It depends on whether it's a ticket against the provincial HTA or a bylaw ticket. I know that many of those tickets (driving in the wrong lane) are just bylaw tickets, those will not typically affect your insurance. Here is a link to a PDF that explains they only use criminal code and HTA violations against you: http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... FAQ-ON.pdf
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2010
4462 posts
853 upvotes
Abbottabad
Haha.

Get your life in order Vera.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2008 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gizmo8 wrote:
May 21st, 2016 12:23 pm
Its called convictions.Insurance companies do not like drivers that gets them no matter if its not a "serious" offence.
I know what a conviction is. I am saying that none of those offenses make you a dangerous or bad driver. Like a parking ticket.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25825 posts
4036 upvotes
Hamilton
Fight all charges
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
May 20, 2016
1 posts
Toronto
It's important to understand that traffic tickets are no longer about demerit points, it's about convictions which may affect your insurance. When insurance companies run your drivers' abstract at renewal, they will reassess your insurance rate based on the number of convictions.

It's always in your interest to fight traffic tickets.
May 3, 2011
671 posts
90 upvotes
You got caught in one of those diamond lanes or bike lanes?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2279 posts
1335 upvotes
North York
gizmo8 wrote:
May 21st, 2016 12:23 pm
Its called convictions.Insurance companies do not like drivers that gets them no matter if its not a "serious" offence.
Not all tickets affect insurance. The last 2 wont for sure but Im not sure about the 1st one.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11631 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
canoek wrote:
May 21st, 2016 10:56 am
I don't see how any of these should affect your insurance.
First one is a 'minor moving violation'. If that's all the OP would have, it would have a negligible effect on insurance. But if there are multiple minors, it could spell a decent rise in premiums.