• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 6:54 pm
[OP]
Jul 4, 2009
872 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga area

Through Wall Exhaust Fan

I'm moving to a new house and plan on using one of the bedrooms for the cats (I have 2). I will be placing their cat litter in there and would like to install a through-wall exhaust fan to vent to the outside.
I looked through Home Depot and Lowes and they all seem to be ceiling mounts. Any suggestions on which fan would work best? I looked at the Panasonic one, but a person said that it might not be insulated enough for our cold winters and I don't want to lose too much heat. I don't know where else to look and who sells these things.

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1152 posts
390 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I wouldn't put the Panasonic wall fans in this country either (I have, in one of the mildest climates, but that was because the bathroom had no fan at all = there is no insulation other than a gasket around the flap).

You'll lose quite a bit of heat leaving the fan on. The new house doesn't have an air exchanger?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Jul 4, 2009
872 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga area
No, new house doesn't have an air exchanger Disappointed Face

I called a few HVAC guys and one came to the house and after a long discussion, we concluded there is no place to install the ERV without ripping out all the walls. It's a townhouse.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1152 posts
390 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Baking soda by the barrel load then.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3672 posts
2820 upvotes
Toronto
If you're worried about heat loss when the fan is off (and since most fans only have a thin flap of plastic to keep the heat in), install one of these on the outside rather than the typical plastic/metal vent flap:

Broan Ecovent

It's on Rona's website: HERE but I'm pretty sure I had bought mine from HD or Lowes.

Our clothes in the dryer used to be cold in the winter because we only had the typical vent cover (plastic flap) so the cold would migrate from the outside, through the dryer venting, into the dryer. After putting in the Ecovent, our clothes are still toasty warm an hour or more after the load is done. It's basically a big styrofoam ball that blocks the opening when there's nothing blowing outside. The only disadvantage is that it sticks out quite a bit compared to normal vent covers. I wish I could put it for my range hood venting (I can feel the cold when I put my hand under the range hood fans), but the grease/oil would jam up the foam ball, so it's only marketed for dryer and bathroom use, but should be fine for the pets' room.

In terms of the fan, I don't see why you can't install a normal Panasonic (nice because they are relatively quite and reliable) bathroom fan on it's side. It's just a motor. Put it on a timer wall switch so it only turns on X times a day/hour.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3672 posts
2820 upvotes
Toronto
Or instead of putting a fan on it's side, install a drop ceiling and put the fan in that.
Jun 11, 2010
906 posts
477 upvotes
ottawa
FYI OP I'm not sure if you have those green bin compostable containers for the kitchen like we do in Ottawa but I use that for cat litter now. I empty the litter box 2 times a day, once when I leave and once when I get home. Fill up that container, and empty it into the green bin.

Honestly, that thing is so good at sealing in any smells, I smell nothing and guests haven't either.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2034 posts
650 upvotes
Mississauga
barqers wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:48 pm
FYI OP I'm not sure if you have those green bin compostable containers for the kitchen like we do in Ottawa but I use that for cat litter now. I empty the litter box 2 times a day, once when I leave and once when I get home. Fill up that container, and empty it into the green bin.

Honestly, that thing is so good at sealing in any smells, I smell nothing and guests haven't either.
I'm surprised it is considered compost in your city. Mississauga classifies pet waste or litter box absorbents as garbage due to health & safety concerns.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8331 posts
6876 upvotes
Oakville
bubuski wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 3:39 pm
I'm surprised it is considered compost in your city. Mississauga classifies pet waste or litter box absorbents as garbage due to health & safety concerns.
Maybe because some cities just throw it in the garbage anyways.

OP, how much would you fan be running?
Jun 11, 2010
906 posts
477 upvotes
ottawa
engineered wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 4:55 pm
Interesting.... cat litter OK, dog feces NOPE.
Yeah I just realized that - seems strange lol. I do notice it's generally harder, maybe that's why?
[OP]
Jul 4, 2009
872 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga area
engineered wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 4:38 pm
Maybe because some cities just throw it in the garbage anyways.

OP, how much would you fan be running?
At first I was thinking of running it continuously, but I don't think bathroom fans are made for that. Then you guys got me thinking... what I need is like a small mini HRV/ERV for just one room, and they must make something like that! And I found it! Home Depot Cyclone Dual Air Single Room High-Efficiency Energy Recovery Ventilator. Any one ever used something like this?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1386 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
Skip the exterior vent fan. Get good quality litter and a good charcoal air filter/deodorizer setup in there. I'd do that and try it out for a while before I bothered installing a ventilation fan in a bedroom where it doesn't belong.

Useful for smokers perhaps, but otherwise, anyone buying your house in the future is going to ask you for $1000 off the selling price to get rid of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1386 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
kittypink wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 12:30 am
At first I was thinking of running it continuously, but I don't think bathroom fans are made for that. Then you guys got me thinking... what I need is like a small mini HRV/ERV for just one room, and they must make something like that! And I found it! Home Depot Cyclone Dual Air Single Room High-Efficiency Energy Recovery Ventilator. Any one ever used something like this?
That's a pretty neat setup and I guess would help. Does the bedroom have a return air duct in it? Whatever air is in the room is going to be pulled into your HVAC system.

Here's a write-up on the exchanger unit you're looking at.

https://www.arttec.net/Mini_HRV/RA1-50-2_install.html