Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto

Throwing toys?

I can't seem to find anything on this and was wondering if any of you have an idea....my 2-y.o. throws her toys on the ground as a tantrum and says "no" and then is upset and wants them back immediately. Not sure if it's a plea for attention. Thanks.
Board games!!!!
7 replies
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Take away the toy for a set amount of time. Explain why it is being taken away.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. I am doing that...but I was just wondering a child's rationale for throwing it, and then immediately upset and wanting it back.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Thanks. I am doing that...but I was just wondering a child's rationale for throwing it, and then immediately upset and wanting it back.
It is always out of frustration when they cannot or do not know how to express themselves. As the previous poster said, take the toy away and don't give it back say until the next day. Explain to your child to use their words instead. Even consider time out if it is particularly bad or it escelates after the toy is taken away.
Deal Guru
May 25, 2011
10105 posts
14411 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Thanks. I am doing that...but I was just wondering a child's rationale for throwing it, and then immediately upset and wanting it back.
Anger is not always rational.

Normal behavior though.
I did not take my kids toys away under such circumstances - they still out-grew it.
May 10, 2010
56 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
Does your child talk well already? Ours did that when he was not able to talk well and was getting frustrated with his lack of communication. The problem stopped after the speech came. Hope this helps.
Deal Guru
May 25, 2011
10105 posts
14411 upvotes
Happy Child wrote: Does your child talk well already? Ours did that when he was not able to talk well and was getting frustrated with his lack of communication. The problem stopped after the speech came. Hope this helps.
Good point.
And even when they can talk - the ability to identify what they are feeling and then to articulate it to us is quite another thing.

Rather than focusing on the toys I believe it to be better to teach them how to calm themselves.
Feb 19, 2011
202 posts
21 upvotes
Our daughter is 2.5 years old and communicates/speaks well for her age. Despite that, she doesn't like when she's told no to anything. Really, who would? And at that age, they can't really see the bigger picture and can't easily predict the consequences.

She often gets upset, yells no, stomps her foot, and throws a toy. As soon as anything is thrown, she gets a time out. She can only get out of time out if she agrees to apologize and pick up what she has thrown. We also review in simple words why she got a time out ("No throwing"/"Toys are for playing with only").

I can't say this is fully working but it seems to be making an impact.

If it helps any, your child is totally normal doing this!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)