• Mar 29th, 2019 7:33 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5410 posts
1161 upvotes
Calgary
cryingx wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 4:30 pm
Can these cargo boxes carry say... Two 20-23' full luggages?
there's lots of youtube reviews that show people packing stuff in them
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10646 posts
2871 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
cryingx wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 4:30 pm
Can these cargo boxes carry say... Two 20-23' full luggages?
Probably a good idea to check the weight capacity of your cross bars too.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10646 posts
2871 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Hmm, so the unit I ordered online (to reserve yesterday) ended up being the floor model (hung about 15 ft up on a wall) and was missing keys and quick-attach brackets. It was otherwise in perfect shape, with Thule product stickers (that say Thule Pulse 615) still in place. I can replace the connectors and get keys for around $110. They knocked it down to $200 and gave me $60 in the bonus gift cards.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1597 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 8:03 pm
Hmm, so the unit I ordered online (to reserve yesterday) ended up being the floor model (hung about 15 ft up on a wall) and was missing keys and quick-attach brackets. It was otherwise in perfect shape, with Thule product stickers (that say Thule Pulse 615) still in place. I can replace the connectors and get keys for around $110. They knocked it down to $200 and gave me $60 in the bonus gift cards.
Dang. Thats a good deal.

I picked mine up today still in the original box. 550 after taxes. Got 30 in gc. Used 10 percent off gc to pay for everything. And 2 dollar in ct money lol.
Mar 15, 2005
457 posts
186 upvotes
For those in GTA east, the only large one left in pickering is the floor model tho its still covered in plastic. No luck with the manager offering a discount for being the floor model. As of 8pm, ajax had 2 left after I purchased mine. They are however offering raincheques.
Dec 26, 2007
15 posts
15 upvotes

I'm going to steal that idea! What size pipe is that? 1 1/4"?
I couldn’t be bothered to find/cut a pipe so I just bought a 48” closet rod
Jan 29, 2005
409 posts
63 upvotes
MikeCheck wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 12:07 am
Here’s how I store my box:

EA06F5CA-B2EB-45C1-B09E-7EADC75F8CC3.jpeg
This is a clever solution. Thanks for sharing it! I noticed in the manual that thule recommends to store the box flat but I don't know if I'll have the space for that.

Can you see any reason why there would be any problems storing it upright clamped like that? Do you need spacers to prevent the clamps from digging into the wall?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11587 posts
5734 upvotes
Southern Ontario
edbert wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 3:13 am
This is a clever solution. Thanks for sharing it! I noticed in the manual that thule recommends to store the box flat but I don't know if I'll have the space for that.

Can you see any reason why there would be any problems storing it upright clamped like that? Do you need spacers to prevent the clamps from digging into the wall?
I don’t see a problem, as long as it’s empty and nobody bashes into it. I’d do that if I didn’t have overhead storage. Account for the most fore channel in terms of height and distance from the wall for the size of the claws.

If you’re really into it, make a lower bar too so the box is parallel with the wall.
Oct 31, 2010
357 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton
edbert wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 3:13 am

I have a shelf that hangs from the roof of my garage that I store it on. It's light enough that I'm able to get it up and take it down on my own.

The claws/clamps push in and pull out, so if you're worried about the bottom claws hanging against the wall, you can just pop them out. Hang them on the rod or put them in the carrier so that they're always with it.
Dec 12, 2005
966 posts
120 upvotes
There are many ways to store the boxes. You can even use your actual crossbars(if they can be released from your car) and use those as the hanging platform for the box. To hang flat or sideways doesn't really matter, as long as the box is empty. If you plan on keeping stuff inside, then you may run into an issue where that load is not suppose to be.

I've used the following for my Thule boxes that was meant to hang bikes:

https://www.amazon.ca/RAD-Cycle-Product ... 147&sr=8-7

On another note, if anyone is interested in some universal Crossbars for raised roof rails, I am planning to sell a used Thule Aeroblade system and a brand new Yakima Timberline kit. Reason for selling is I've upgraded to a whispbar system. Just PM for details and fit guide and I can assist you further.

Great price on these boxes, it seems CT is also now carrying Yakima products that may suggest they are changing brands and could be selling these off. If you are in need of upper storage, this price can't be beat compares to BF or Boxing day deals I've seen on the roof carriers.
Oct 31, 2010
357 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton
humansoul wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:29 am
There are many ways to store the boxes. You can even use your actual crossbars(if they can be released from your car) and use those as the hanging platform for the box. To hang flat or sideways doesn't really matter, as long as the box is empty. If you plan on keeping stuff inside, then you may run into an issue where that load is not suppose to be.

I've used the following for my Thule boxes that was meant to hang bikes:

https://www.amazon.ca/RAD-Cycle-Product ... 147&sr=8-7

On another note, if anyone is interested in some universal Crossbars for raised roof rails, I am planning to sell a used Thule Aeroblade system and a brand new Yakima Timberline kit. Reason for selling is I've upgraded to a whispbar system. Just PM for details and fit guide and I can assist you further.

Great price on these boxes, it seems CT is also now carrying Yakima products that may suggest they are changing brands and could be selling these off. If you are in need of upper storage, this price can't be beat compares to BF or Boxing day deals I've seen on the roof carriers.
What do you use to attach the thule to those hooks on the bike hanger?
Dec 12, 2005
966 posts
120 upvotes
darkstar107 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:43 am
What do you use to attach the thule to those hooks on the bike hanger?
I've used bungee cord that wrapped around the box. You can protect the shell by using foam insulation or even rags to also create some friction. Make sure you position the pulleys short enough so the bungee are able to wrap around(Use the grip mechanism as your guide point) and create a tight fit/grip on the box. You could also use PVC piping or any pipe that you can cut to length and allow for the hooks to latch on to the pipe.

Not my unit/image, but this is sort of what you want to achieve:

Feb 8, 2017
115 posts
27 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 8:03 pm
I went to pick mine up and it was the floor model as well but they wouldn't discount the price! I told them I would think about it and left.

Why wouldn't they offer a discount? Should I ask to talk to the manager or something?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10646 posts
2871 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
sierravista wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 11:32 am
I went to pick mine up and it was the floor model as well but they wouldn't discount the price! I told them I would think about it and left.

Why wouldn't they offer a discount? Should I ask to talk to the manager or something?
In my case, because of the missing keys, they couldn't unlock their unit without ordering keys first ($4-$5/key plus shipping from Thule) so I guess they thought it was too much effort. They were really eager for me to take it.

Assuming the one at your store has all the parts, I would look it over and see if there are any scratches and marks and if so, then use that as an excuse to ask for a discount.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5410 posts
1161 upvotes
Calgary
the first store i went to the thing was scuffed and scratched significantly, they didnt even offer to discount it, they just wrote it off, not sure what will ultimately happen to it, but i dont think i'd have taken it anyway, ended up with a new in box one from another store.