• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2004 4:13 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
Tsukagi wrote:Woo..you guys go so far west if you're from scarb/markham/rich area.

Did u guys know there's a Pho Xe Lua(train) @ young/steels. (on steels across from center point)...it's also run by viets. Tables there are a bit higher then i'm used 2 though. And the fried egg roles are no good...too small.
I live in Scar but my gf lives in the west end.

Yeah I know about that place. That place is no good. I only used to go there because it was opened till late. The spring rolls are **** like you said so damn small.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1663 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Degenerate wrote:Yes you are correct. I've been to Kiem Bo and it's not bad. My personal fav is prbably Pho 99 at Jane and Finch. The old Pho Xeu La was good because I went there so much they treated me really really good. Like you said fresh noodles for no extra charge. Too bad it's now some Asian Noodles House. Not as good.
O ya, Pho 99. That place was one of the best that I've had too. Well it's a toss up between Pho 99 and some place in Montreal. But Green Bamboo at Midland and Sheppard is decent too.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
is that place beside boston pizza?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2004
1415 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I was there yesterday. the pho was juss average but better than most place in scarb. the menu there is more catered to the chinese taste. even the "nuoc mum" is all weird and shiet. no real nammer stuff there like "bun bo hue" "bun rieu".
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
Is this better than the Double 8 in Warden & Steeles (south of Steeles; the one with a McDonald)? I found they are the best and always packed. I have not visited this new joint yet.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
gman wrote:Is this better than the Double 8 in Warden & Steeles (south of Steeles; the one with a McDonald)? I found they are the best and always packed. I have not visited this new joint yet.
Pho 88 at Bamburg used to be my favorite location but the quality of their food has gone down a bit and I've found other locations which are better.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Apr 27, 2004
319 posts
3 upvotes
I used too love going too Pho 88 @ the Altons Towers locations then, it got less n less ppl and food was getting kinda sloppy/cleaning. I took my Pho too Bamburgh Location. Im still going there cuz it is still good. Another place is @ Midland n Finch (NE corner) own by a chin/viet person but still up there. Pho Viet is gonna prolly be on my list this week too eat dinner @..Hope its good...
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
I went to Pho Viet tonight and I was disappointed. My favourite is still Double 8 in Bamburg.

Pho Viet has much better hardware. i.e. decoration, furniture, plate, bowl, etc. It is also quieter (not sure if this is good though, read on).

The food is not better than Double 8. The price is at least 10% more expensive. The food is about 10% smaller. The plate is better though.

I had beef noodle tonight. I always have beef noodle in Double 8; 9 out of 10 times. Hence, I purposely chose that dish. It is smaller, more expenisve and does not taste as good (IMO). However, the beef noodle seems to be a bit less oily and probably better in that sense. Overall, Double 8 has better beef noodle IMO.

It was quieter because the store was 1/3 occupied and it is a smaller store. I was there at 7pm. Double 8 double the seats of Pho Viet and it is always packed with people even if it is 8pm. I also can't get a table right the way in lunch or dinner time in Double 8.

Pho Viet also has a smaller menu and service is slower than Double 8 including when Double 8 is packed.

Let me put it this way, I am not going to go back. I don't know how long this restaurant will last based on the business volume I saw in its 'busy' hour.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
plisk3n wrote:Just got back from Pho Viet located at the new strip plaza area at Warden & Steeles. Some really amazing PHO there, especially compared to the stuff you get at Pho 88 and that Xe Lua (That train logo one)

It's not too busy during the weekdays but I'm sure this place will start to become busy once the word gets out.

The prices are really reasonable and it's a brand new place which means everything is nice inside including the washroom!

Highly Recommended for PHO lovers! :cheesygri
Well I went there on their opening week...very disorganized. Service was terrible...waitress was too young...had no idea what to do.

Portions were so small...ask for a large...got something that was the size of small from their competition. Price was higher too...wtf?!?

Taste...well nothing special...same as everywhere else.

ohwell perhaps its hit and miss...i will not be going back.

Will go back to my regular place at Midland and Finch.

My favorite is still Saigon Star and the one at First Markham place...love their satay noodle soup...so flavourful.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
3976 posts
16 upvotes
yeah....i thought the portion of their pho was small even though i ordered a large bowl. and the soup was barely okay.

but their appetizers (spring rolls, and etc) was excellent. very clean environment, though. i'd probably just go there for a quick snack
Sep 14, 2004
125 posts
Ya'll should check out a place called VIP @ FirstMarkhamPlace (across the same side as Congee Wong)...pretty good for some uptown viet food. The BIGGEST and best spring rolls around! *yum*
"C.R.E.A.M."