• Dec 30th, 2010 11:56 am
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2010
28 posts
24 upvotes

Ticket for Driving in Carpool lane

Hi All,

I received a ticket for Driving in the carpool lane, although I was turning onto the DVP just after the point that I was pulled over, and had changed lanes a bit early to ensure that I could safely get over, given it's a busy road.

The ticket is a City By Law in Toronto: by law 132/93 section 3(a)

I read in a similar thread from the Summer that this ticket doesn't have any demerit points attached to it, and that it doesn't affect my driving record. I have no other tickets.

I was wondering if anyone on here could confirm that this ticket doesn't have demerit points. The officer told me that he "thinks" it doesn't when he handed it to me. If it doesn't have points, I'll just pay it and not waste my time fighting it, but there seems to be conflicting responses.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks all!
54 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5855 posts
100 upvotes
jimrebello wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 10:09 am
Hi All,

I received a ticket for Driving in the carpool lane, although I was turning onto the DVP just after the point that I was pulled over, and had changed lanes a bit early to ensure that I could safely get over, given it's a busy road.

The ticket is a City By Law in Toronto: by law 132/93 section 3(a)

I read in a similar thread from the Summer that this ticket doesn't have any demerit points attached to it, and that it doesn't affect my driving record. I have no other tickets.

I was wondering if anyone on here could confirm that this ticket doesn't have demerit points. The officer told me that he "thinks" it doesn't when he handed it to me. If it doesn't have points, I'll just pay it and not waste my time fighting it, but there seems to be conflicting responses.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks all!
So you didn't have 2+ people in the car? then there's nothing you could do, it's his words against yours and the judge will most likely believe the cop
--
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3677 posts
98 upvotes
You should have at least put a blow up doll in your passengers seat
Dec 26, 2009
691 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
There are no demerit points. If in doubt you can always call the MTO and ask them just so you are satisfied. The problem is you may get a few different answers depending on who who ask.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1477 posts
75 upvotes
Markham
This may be a ticket worth fighting if its a big fine, seeing as that you need to be in the carpool lane in order to get onto the DVP. I used to get on at DVP off Eglinton and get into the carpool lane just in case. Its something I would fight if I were you, you wanted to be able to safely merge onto the DVP.

Jase.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3677 posts
98 upvotes
Where are you guys talking about having to be in the carpool lane to get on the DVP?

You absolutely do NOT need to be in the HOV lane to get on the DVP south from the 404, I don't remember ever seeing a HOV lane on the 401, are you guys referring to getting on the DVP north from the gardner? Is there a HOV lane there now?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5855 posts
100 upvotes
jasonkwan86 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 12:31 pm
This may be a ticket worth fighting if its a big fine, seeing as that you need to be in the carpool lane in order to get onto the DVP. I used to get on at DVP off Eglinton and get into the carpool lane just in case. Its something I would fight if I were you, you wanted to be able to safely merge onto the DVP.

Jase.
i think op was going south towards DVP
--
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3537 posts
231 upvotes
Scarborough
I think the OP is talking about when the 404 turns into DVP as it passes the 401.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1160 posts
129 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 12:54 pm
I think the OP is talking about when the 404 turns into DVP as it passes the 401.
if OP is talking about that section... there's no need to go into the carpool lane at all. There's more than enough lanes to get on the DVP, even from the 401 Eastbound lane (though I highly do not recommend it, since you're blocking traffic, unless you're coming out of the Sheppard entrance)
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3677 posts
98 upvotes
kaws wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 12:59 pm
if OP is talking about that section... there's no need to go into the carpool lane at all. There's more than enough lanes to get on the DVP, even from the 401 Eastbound lane (though I highly do not recommend it, since you're blocking traffic, unless you're coming out of the Sheppard entrance)
What this guy said. There are 2 lanes going from the 404 onto the DVP south. The HOV lane on the left merges with the left normal lane, which is 1 of the 2 lanes that continues south via the DVP. Matter of fact, if you don't get into the HOV lane up before Shephard, you have to cross a solid line to get into it down by where it merges with the normal lanes going onto the DVP.

Somethings fishy here. There is no HOV lane that I am aware of in the GTA that anyone is REQUIRED to be in under any circumstances. They are all 100% convenience only.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
28 posts
24 upvotes
Sorry I should be more clear, I was on Eglinton Ave E, heading W/B to go onto the South DVP, I was in the right lane, which is the HOV lane, but it's a Toronto by law, not a Provincial road.

The officer said "I don't think this has points" which isn't exactly re-assuring...

Nothing fishy, exactly as I said, the were set up just around the wynford ramp I believe, which is just before the NB ramp, right after that is the SB ramp.

It's a $60 fine, $80 payable. I won't fight it if it isn't points/affecting my record, not worth taking the time off work.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
28 posts
24 upvotes
zonetbh wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 12:16 pm
You should have at least put a blow up doll in your passengers seat
No Kidding. I really should have, but I would have needed 2 of them, the Toronto by law is 3+ people, not two like on the DVP/403
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5855 posts
100 upvotes
jimrebello wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 1:21 pm
No Kidding. I really should have, but I would have needed 2 of them, the Toronto by law is 3+ people, not two like on the DVP/403
thanks for clarifying, basically you were on the bus lane for 3+ people..

better to check if this will affect insurance before paying off the fine.
--
× < >