• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2015 12:36 am
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1062 posts
69 upvotes

Ticket for expired sticker on license plate

Hello,

Has anyone gotten a ticket for that before? Mine has Dec 06 expiry. I was away most of the month in Dec, and I just totally forgot about it. Just got pulled over today and was written up for $110!!! That looks like legalized ROBBERY to me!!! People get less than that for running a brothel or something (I don't know. Just venting :) )

Another thing is how do I know that $110 is the actual fine that should be levied on such a violation? The amount field is blank, and the officer just fills it in. Can they fill in what they feel like?

I know that I should have it renewed, but it's like 8 days late.

Is it worth going to court? The officer says there is no demerit points with this ticket. I know I don't have much of a case, but I wonder if I can get the fine reduced....

Thanks
87 replies
Apr 21, 2004
816 posts
43 upvotes
Pickering
The amount of the fine is correct.

Although the sticker says Dec 06, it technically expires on your date of birth (or the date of birth of the person the car is registered to).

Those tickets are pretty black and white in my opinion. Either it's valid or it isn't. There isn't any judgement call on the officer's part to justify an offence, or any device used that must be calibrated. Also it can be checked with the MTO files.

Maybe someone with experience can fill you in on how to fight it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24865 posts
2454 upvotes
Ottawa
The fact it is expired is cause for your fine and unless your birthday is 31 Dec, you are more than 8 days late. The sticker expires on your birthday. Ontario is very lenient in that they generally give you till the end of the month and then the fine is only $110. Quebec will nail you for $450.
No robbery here, just the law. Imagine if you smacked into someone with an unregistered vehicle? Or someone smacked into you? It would negate your insurance and your fines and expenses could be even higher.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1062 posts
69 upvotes
I see. Thanks for the comments.

BTW, shouldn't I have gotten a form in the mail for the renewal? I remember getting one last time, and had to go do emmissions test. Didn't get anything this time - that's why I didn't even think of it.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
you should have gotten a letter (but not getting one isn't a reason for not getting your sticker). if you didn't get the letter, verify the address on your licence is correct.

if you need a driveclean, it depends on the model year of your car. Since renewal was for 06, your car needs to be 01, 99, 97 (or older, odd years only). if it's 02 or later, you don't need a test.
remember, model year, not when you bought the car.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
I got hit with that with my first car. I moved at the time of my birthday, and either didn't receive or lost the notice that came. No way to argue it.

Pay it and forget it.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
I've driven with expired stickers twice without being "caught"

First time, I forgot to get the sticker for mine, drove for about 6 months without a problem. They didn't give me any hassle at the MTO office, just charged me for the full year(which is what they're supposed to)

Second time, I got the sticker from the kiosk and put it in the glovebox because i didn't have a screwdriver on me at the time. Two years later, I get the new sticker, and wondered why it said 2004 on the plate when i'm about to put the 2006 on.. found the 2005 sticker in the glovebox.

Now I make sure I put it on right away, I bring a screwdriver with me on the day I get the sticker so I can't forget, and change it in the parking lot.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
I have a bad habit of getting my sticker in time, but then not putting it on. Mine expires in Dec, and usually my plate is covered in salt and road grime, so I have to wipe the sticker area clean for it to stick, which I never seem to have towels handy for. I've been pulled over for it a couple times, but I show the cop my sticker and he lets me go.

I'm going to have a small problem this spring with my sticker, though, on my summer car. It's due for it's last emissions test (20 years old), but it's been in storage since October. When I take it out in April, I can't get the new sticker until I get the emissions test, but I can't get the test without driving it to get there, with an expired sticker. I'll just take my chances on it, obviously, it's just that the car tends to get a lot of extra special police attention.
Mar 30, 2004
432 posts
6 upvotes
My birthday was in July and only put mine on over the weekend.

My car was stolen a couple of weeks ago and they just found it last week. I found it very funny that they didn't write up a ticket for driving with an expired sticker especially when I know they looked at the car very carefully since they dusted it for fingerprints. It sucks that my car was stolen, it would have been worse if I got it back with a ticket after having to pay the impound fees.

I have those blue license plate covers that you can get from crappy tire so that might have been the reason why they missed it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
4 upvotes
Sonic Temple
In Quebec, there is no such thing as a licence plate sticker nor a licence plate at the front of your car....but of course that would make too much sense for Ontario since both are a complete cash cow for government.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
3144 posts
114 upvotes
dealzuser wrote:
Jan 8th, 2007 10:18 am
Hello,

Has anyone gotten a ticket for that before? Mine has Dec 06 expiry. I was away most of the month in Dec, and I just totally forgot about it. Just got pulled over today and was written up for $110!!! That looks like legalized ROBBERY to me!!! People get less than that for running a brothel or something (I don't know. Just venting :) )

Another thing is how do I know that $110 is the actual fine that should be levied on such a violation? The amount field is blank, and the officer just fills it in. Can they fill in what they feel like?

Is it worth going to court? The officer says there is no demerit points with this ticket. I know I don't have much of a case, but I wonder if I can get the fine reduced....

Thanks
court ? A defense of "..I forgot.." is not going to stand up in court so just pay the fine and repeat to yourself ..."b-day..sticker..b-day...sticker...etc
Join my free Dynasty Fantasy Baseball League (2017 season, draft starts this Fall). PM me for details
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1234 posts
21 upvotes
Call up the court and get a First Attendance Meeting. The date should be a few months away.

The day you meet the prosecutor take a picture of your rear license plate (with a valid registration sticker). Present the picture to the prosectuor and come up with some B.S. excuse like you were out of the country for a long period of time or the car isn't driven regulalry. The fine/case will in all probability be withdrawn.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4546 posts
460 upvotes
dealzuser wrote:
Jan 8th, 2007 10:18 am
Hello,

Thanks
Stop whining In Sask. that costs you $550
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2474 posts
119 upvotes
GO see the JP and ask for a reduction of the fine .Tell the truth .YOu were busy with family matters for Christmas .Show the JP that you emediatly bought the sticker .This should reduce your fine in half .
× < >