Ticket for expired sticker on license plate

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2020 12:00 am
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1221 posts
185 upvotes
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I was in fact out of the country for work most of Dec (and my permit sticker expired in Dec.) I never got a letter for renewal, which seems strange to me because I always received a letter, especially since I have to do emissions test. I generally do a 2-year renewal so that I don't have to do this each year.

So I got everything done yesterday (emissions test, sticker). I think that I will go to court to ask for some leniency and see if the fine can get reduced or even eliminated.

While I did forget, I was relying on a letter to remind me - a letter I got each time, at least 3 times before in the last 6 or so years. The fact that the system changes on me suddenly is not entirely fair... (I've now put a reminder 2 years ahead in my Palm to remind me. :) )
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
Relying on a letter and then not receiving that letter and then blaming the system is totally not fair. You should be aware at all times of when your plate stickers and license are about to expire. I know it is easier said than done but you can't blame the system because you forgot.

I think we have all gotten used to these little reminders that come in the mail and when they don't come we turn around and blame the system because it failed us. Consider yourself lucky that you even receive the reminder because the government doesn't have to send them out to you. Nowhere does it say that a reminder has to be sent out.

If you got fined, don't whine about it. You are the only person to blame as it was you who should have known when those stickers were going to expire.

You can fight it if you want, but don't be surprised if you lose.
Banned
Feb 18, 2005
10775 posts
8 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: GO see the JP and ask for a reduction of the fine .Tell the truth .YOu were busy with family matters for Christmas .Show the JP that you emediatly bought the sticker .This should reduce your fine in half .
ya they will seriously chop up the ticket for u if u tell a nice christmas story.
Don't be a newb, come play RFD Ball Hockey!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... 6&page=175
Sep 11, 2006
332 posts
ahaha it really depends on the cop.

I had mine expired in July 06 and i was caught on october 06

pulled me over and asked why.

my excuse was "cause i just moved to mississauga from markham and i was busy these months"

he probably didn't give a rat's @ss, but i was really polite to him( meaning talk in a friendly-sorry voice and do as i was told like bring out proof of ownership and insurance and pretending to do it as quick as possible by struggling a little) and in the end he gave me a warning ticket. basically i had a week to renew it and bring it to the nearest police station with proof that i renewed it(receipt). and i was off the hook :D
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1221 posts
185 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: Relying on a letter and then not receiving that letter and then blaming the system is totally not fair. You should be aware at all times of when your plate stickers and license are about to expire. I know it is easier said than done but you can't blame the system because you forgot.

I think we have all gotten used to these little reminders that come in the mail and when they don't come we turn around and blame the system because it failed us. Consider yourself lucky that you even receive the reminder because the government doesn't have to send them out to you. Nowhere does it say that a reminder has to be sent out.

If you got fined, don't whine about it. You are the only person to blame as it was you who should have known when those stickers were going to expire.

You can fight it if you want, but don't be surprised if you lose.

I would say the system technically did fail us. Systems are suppose to be consistent. So either send it or don't send it. Don't send it regularly for YEARS, and then suddenly stop this time around? People I talked to (live, not on forum) were surprised that I didn't get the letter.

Ultimately, I agree that I am responsible. I'm not really fighting it or lying about what happened. I'm just going to check if there is any leniency. If not, tough on me. But $110 is quite a bit of money. If people surfing RFD try to save two bucks on a bag of chips, why shell out the "full" amount when you may not have to... You never know till you ask.
Jan 8, 2007
13 posts
I must have been lucky. I got caught with a sticker that was 6 days expired and the cop told me, if I had another way to get it besides driving that car, he would give me 48 hrs to provide proof that I bought one. I took my wife's car got the sticker and was excused without court. Like I said, lucky.
Dec 29, 2004
87 posts
8 upvotes
Montr
remember when we used to have those stupid little stickers!!#%!
got busted 2 blocks from home & nailed for 450$ for expired plates - 450$
Soon after Quebec stopped those stupid little stickers & everything is well in the world :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
I just got fined for the same thing, it was my dad's car, but the officer said, renew the stickers then stick it on the ownership and apply for trial and then present them with the ownership with sticker and 99.9% you'll be off. But I read here, that it cannot be fought?:S

Would I be better off, showing it at a police station?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
[QUOTE]due for it's last emissions test (20 years old),[/QUOTE]
just an fyi, they've changed the rules. cars older than 20 years are no longer exempt.....believe it was effective beginning of this year.
i drive an 87 and was sad to learn my last driveclean wasn't my last one at all :(
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1478 posts
521 upvotes
GTA
dolphie wrote: just an fyi, they've changed the rules. cars older than 20 years are no longer exempt.....believe it was effective beginning of this year.
i drive an 87 and was sad to learn my last driveclean wasn't my last one at all :(
Finally! Having an old car should not be an excuse to be allowed to pollute more. Same rules for everyone, fair and square. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
dolphie wrote: just an fyi, they've changed the rules. cars older than 20 years are no longer exempt.....believe it was effective beginning of this year.
Well, I think you'll be pleased to be told you're wrong on this one! ;)

http://www.driveclean.com/

(click on the historical exemption link, can't seem to link direct to it)

Mine is an '87 as well, it's anything '88 or newer that will now be exempt. Not that I care much anyways, really, my car has only 100k km and runs perfectly, it passes easily every time. It's just the hassle, really, and the $35.

I do agree with slim shady, though, I don't really think they ever should have had the exemption. What ended up happening is guys would buy old Mustangs like mine (or any performance car) that were 20 years or older, and then rip off all the pollution controls to gain some more horsepower. Mustangs back then had FOUR catalytic converters, imagine how much pollution they must spew with these all taken off. I don't think that's right that people can get away with that.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
[QUOTE]The exemption for 20-year-old light-duty vehicles is ending as we begin to focus more on the vehicles most likely to pollute. All cars, 1988 model year and newer, will require emissions testing until they are taken out of service. These vehicles would have had their last test for registration renewal in 2007, when they were 19 years old. They will now need to continue to be tested in 2009 and ever two years after that.[/QUOTE]

this is from your own link...but a car isn't a light duty vehicle, i suppose.....it's a car.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
dolphie wrote: this is from your own link...but a car isn't a light duty vehicle, i suppose.....it's a car.
Cars are considered light duty vehicles. However, that doesn't change the fact that vehicles 1987 and older will no longer require testing. Perhaps you misunderstood the wording. All vehicles 1988 and newer will require tests, forever, that's what they mean.
Jan 9, 2008
1 posts
i just got my ticket tonight for an expired sticker.. i didn't know that it was already expired because it is my husband's car and he is out-of-town most of the time.. it's our first year here in canada and i didn't know that i have to renew the sticker... in my country we do it every 5 years :razz: but there is no excuse for not knowing .. it was really our/my fault.. my question is > is there demerit for this offence? i really want to have a clear record when it comes to my driver's licence... as much as possible.. i hope somebody could answer my query..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
lorna_t wrote: i just got my ticket tonight for an expired sticker.. i didn't know that it was already expired because it is my husband's car and he is out-of-town most of the time.. it's our first year here in canada and i didn't know that i have to renew the sticker... in my country we do it every 5 years :razz: but there is no excuse for not knowing .. it was really our/my fault.. my question is > is there demerit for this offence? i really want to have a clear record when it comes to my driver's licence... as much as possible.. i hope somebody could answer my query..
No demerit points, no insurance repercussions, as it's not a moving violation. Just a fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Bullseye wrote: I thought those were only for when you buy a new car? You can get them for cars already registered in your name and plated as well?
Yes you can, funny that you brought this up. A co-worker of mine just did it this morning. He forgot to renew his sticker which was up in November and went to renew it this morning, and they could not issue him one since he also had to get a drive clean test done. So they said they would issue him a trip permit for $15, and that gives him 10 days to get his drive clean done and go back to renew his sticker, without worrying about getting a ticket for an expired sticker.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
Only commercial vehicles get the whole month to renew the sticker.

The notice is mailed to you, treat it like a bill and pay it right away.

No wonder it takes so long to get thru the courts, with people clogging it up with tickets for ignorance.

pay your fine and move on.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Oct 31, 2007
47 posts
Montreal
dealzuser wrote: Mine has Dec 06 expiry. I was away most of the month in Dec, and I just totally forgot about it. Just got pulled over today and was written up for $110!!! That looks like legalized ROBBERY to me!!! People get less than that for running a brothel or something (I don't know. Just venting :) )
$110 and you complain??? Consider yourself lucky not to be living in QC... at least for this. I got nailed 2-3 yrs back.

Mine had expired about 7 months and I never renewed. Generally I receive the registration paper by mail, unfortunately I moved and there was a post office stike at the time and never received it and I had completely forgot about it.

Anyways, got nailed for $440 and I asked the officer if she was joking... she said "No, consider yourself lucky... I should be impounding your car right now, but I'll let you drive home. Leave your car home and get the registration done."

It was late and I was on my way home from working out... should have stayed home that night.
May 8, 2006
130 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
I got one of those once. I was more than a year late. I didn't drive the car, so didn't see much point buying insurance or renewing the sticker. Once I started driving the car again, I bought insurance, but it wouldn't pass e-test. I had a temporary permit, but that expired too since the mechanic was taking forever to make it pass. That's when i got the ticket. The cop wouldn't hear about the part that car wouldn't pass the e-test and still wrote me the ticket. They still didn't fix the car enough to pass and i got the sticker with the exemption. Went to talk to the prosecutor after that. He only asked if i had a valid sticker now, and gave me suspended sentence: no fine, no demerit points, just conviction on the record.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)