Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
703 posts
115 upvotes
Hamilton

Ticket in New York

In December of 2014 I got a ticket near Buffalo.

I was in a 2 lane highway with a 65 mph limit that turned into a 3 lane highway with a 55 mph limit. How more lanes equals less speed makes no sense to me. I never would have thought it so I continued going 65.

Cop pulls me over and gives me a 72 in a 55.

A letter comes in the mail with NO information; it just asks if I was guilty of speeding. I said yes because I didnt want to lose a day of work.

A month later I get a 400$ ticket for a 72 in a 55 which equals points (I was never informed of this).

A month after paying 400$, I get one saying that since it was 72, I would have to pay an extra ticket (at 71 I wouldnt) of almost 400$ again or have my license suspended.

The tickets transfer to Ontario. Here, you get a ticket and you know all the penalties. In New York, they tell you NOTHING but ask you to accept the speeding or not.

My insurance has gone up, and my driving record has been sullied.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2350 posts
672 upvotes
Nope.

You should have done more research before you agreed to the charge. You could have gone online to do a search or called the county office to see what the consequences were. If you couldn't take a day off to go down there and fight the charge, you should have hired a lawyer to do so down there.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned and keep in mind that the interstates down in the US fluctuate in speed all the time regardless of size or even location sometimes. It actually really seems quite arbitrary...

Also, your insurance may not go up anyway. The tickets are supposed to come up to Ontario, but they may or may not always do so.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4300 upvotes
Did you know that New York has a reciprocity agreement with Ontario at the time you got the tickets?
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
703 posts
115 upvotes
Hamilton
No, I didn't know anything. It's just stupidity on my part in many ways.

A) Saw a bunch of Ontario plates pulled over so I should have been more careful.
B) Should have realized that cops need to make money so I should have researched the ticket,

I have my mom and pregnant wife in the car, so I know I wasn't going over 110.

Stupidity on my part and screwed myself over.
Nov 3, 2015
247 posts
48 upvotes
Clarkson, ON
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 9:35 am
Did you know that New York has a reciprocity agreement with Ontario at the time you got the tickets?
Yeah NY tickets will show up in Ontario. Mine was showing up for 3 years.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24385 posts
1618 upvotes
Markham, ON
peji911 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 8:56 am
In December of 2014 I got a ticket near Buffalo.

I was in a 2 lane highway with a 65 mph limit that turned into a 3 lane highway with a 55 mph limit. How more lanes equals less speed makes no sense to me. I never would have thought it so I continued going 65.

Cop pulls me over and gives me a 72 in a 55.

A letter comes in the mail with NO information; it just asks if I was guilty of speeding. I said yes because I didnt want to lose a day of work.

A month later I get a 400$ ticket for a 72 in a 55 which equals points (I was never informed of this).

A month after paying 400$, I get one saying that since it was 72, I would have to pay an extra ticket (at 71 I wouldnt) of almost 400$ again or have my license suspended.

The tickets transfer to Ontario. Here, you get a ticket and you know all the penalties. In New York, they tell you NOTHING but ask you to accept the speeding or not.

My insurance has gone up, and my driving record has been sullied.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?
your insurance went up on 1 ticket?

yes...shop around for another insurance company...
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12611 posts
6877 upvotes
Toronto
peji911 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 10:07 am
No, I didn't know anything. It's just stupidity on my part in many ways.

A) Saw a bunch of Ontario plates pulled over so I should have been more careful.
B) Should have realized that cops need to make money so I should have researched the ticket,

I have my mom and pregnant wife in the car, so I know I wasn't going over 110.

Stupidity on my part and screwed myself over.
I put a baby on board sticker on my car and weave in and out of traffic at high rates of speed. People know I'm a safe driver cause of the sticker.

Ontario has a lot of ticket sharing programs to ensure you are properly paying the insurance coffers. Obey or pay.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3602 posts
2875 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Converting to kph = 115 in 88 which is 27 kph over the limit. This is 3 demerit points and is not going to be treated as a minor ticket for the insurance company to overlook.

NY Police don't know what NY tickets equate to outside of their jurisdiction. They're not going to advise you how the ticket affects you in Ontario. That's up to you to know. Also, the onus is on the visiting driver to know the rules - it isn't their job to tell you how the ticket and court process works. This is usually printed on the ticket itself and can be found easily with some Google research.

You're visiting a foreign country and things are different there. Especially speed enforcement - there are many areas in the USA where it's a cash cow and they diligently pull people over for speeding even a little over the limit! Watch your surroundings and don't ever go faster than the crowd or you're going to have to pay the price....
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
Well, speeding costs you, especially in New York. In New York, Cops are doing their job properly and giving tickets to people who speed. I always see Canadian drivers getting speeding tickets in New York because they drive like maniacs. Canadian drivers think they can get away with speeding just like they do get away here in Canada especially in the GTA.

You should have hired an attorney in New York to fight the ticket.

I have been in that 65 mph and 55 mph zone and what I noticed was that most people follow speed limits, use left lane for passing only, let cars merge on to highway from ramps. I wish people in GTA could drive like this and follow basic driving rules. If Canadian cops start patrolling streets all the time and issue tickets for speeding, hogging left lane, tailgating, etc we would eventually get rid of all these bad aggressive drivers here as well
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21360 posts
2178 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 5:27 pm
Converting to kph = 115 in 88 which is 27 kph over the limit. This is 3 demerit points and is not going to be treated as a minor ticket for the insurance company to overlook.

NY Police don't know what NY tickets equate to outside of their jurisdiction. They're not going to advise you how the ticket affects you in Ontario. That's up to you to know. Also, the onus is on the visiting driver to know the rules - it isn't their job to tell you how the ticket and court process works. This is usually printed on the ticket itself and can be found easily with some Google research.

You're visiting a foreign country and things are different there. Especially speed enforcement - there are many areas in the USA where it's a cash cow and they diligently pull people over for speeding even a little over the limit! Watch your surroundings and don't ever go faster than the crowd or you're going to have to pay the price....
It's 27kmh, it's a minor ticket.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
703 posts
115 upvotes
Hamilton
I was following traffic as I always do when in Europe or New York.

There was a car on my left that passed me. We even made a comment on how he was screwed cause we could see the cop but he came after me. Very unexpected