Shopping Discussion

[TICKETZONE][studenttours.com] Denied Entry To Event, how to get refund?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2017 5:00 pm
Aug 21, 2016
506 posts
839 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[TICKETZONE][studenttours.com] Denied Entry To Event, how to get refund?

I am in a bit of a soup ATM. I bought this: https://www.ticketzone.com/event/9573/s ... y-july-8th and then when I went to the event the bouncer denied me entry on my out of country DL which is valid in Alberta. He demanded passport :-/ I do not carry my passport everywhere.

Turns out they will not refund me on this. This is their response:
I'm sorry to hear that happened. Unfortunately as stated in our Refunds Policy, paragraph 2

"Promoters, Venue owners, Security and Event Staff have the right to refuse entry to any ticket holder, without a refund, for any reason at their discretion, including but not limited to: disorderly behaviour, intoxication, venue capacity, breach of security restrictions. Ticket holder is aware that the Venue and Talent are subject to change. Ticket holder is aware that amenities promised by promoters are not guaranteed by ticketZone and are not grounds for a refund, including but not limited to: VIP amenities, drink specials, gifts, express entry, special areas, celebrity guests."

https://support.ticketzone.com/hc/en-us ... ds-policy-
What exactly happened:
I am an international student in Canada and my brother is visiting me for his vacations:
  • 5:50pm: We reached The Pint, the busses were supposed to leave at 6:15, at this point my brother realized that he had left his wallet at home, so we went back to home got his wallet and reached The pint again around 6:25.
  • 6:25pm: The bouncer at The pint let us in based on our IDs but said that the tour bus had left just a couple of minutes ago. The next stop was knoxville tent so just walked over to knoxville to get the entry.
  • 7:00pm: the bouncer at The knoxville tent denied us entry (though the one at The Pint had no issues with it). I've used the same ID to get into Cowboys, National on the 17th and a couple of other Bars downtown with no issues.
  • 7:10pm: after trying to convince him that our IDs are valid for 10 minutes we just walked home, he didn't budge.
  • 7:15pm: we tried reaching the organizers, but their office is closed on weekends (their events happen on the weekends, meh!)
  • 7:45pm: we reached home frustrated and tired because of all of this and the shining sun.
The resolution the organizer agreed upon:
ST: Would you be interested in like 3 or 4 free tickets for this Saturday?
ME: No, I am done with club crawling, I would like a refund on this.
ST: We do not do refunds, but can throw you 3 tickets for Halloween Crawl. You can sell them to make up for the loss.
ME: Pushing others to go through the misery I've been through? Not really a nice move.
Chargeback Scenario
Scotia: We do not have a proof that you presented a DL at the entrance and you were denied entry by an authorized person based on your valid id. There are too many factors of which we do not have proof of. We cannot chargeback. :-/

Et tu, Scotia
Dafuq can I do anything about this?

Edit: July 31, 2017

I got in touch with the Merchant again after Stampede (as he had asked), this was his reply:
Just based on this situation, I don't think we can do much as far as a refund. However, the Halloween Crawl tickets are still an option if you like.
I called scotia again, they said:
Since the merchant is giving you a resolution we cannot make a chargeback on this.
Although not happy with this, I requested the seller to give me 4 tickets to Halloween crawl. Let's see how that goes, I totally do not appreciate this seller/site. Please avoid dealing with them in future.

Thanks for all your help RFDers :)
Last edited by whizzzkid on Jul 10th, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RFD Effect Is Real
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2013
1488 posts
2560 upvotes
Saint John
You've already answered your own question
Dec 2, 2010
618 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
OP, contact your credit card company and file a dispute with the transaction saying that they didn't provide the product/service you authorized and that you requested a refund from the merchant and they denied it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Did you read all the fine print before you signed up ?

Did you meet this requirement from their website FAQ's page ?
Q: Is everyone allowed on the Stampede Club Crawl?
A: 
You must be 18 years of age or older, legal drinking age.  Please have two pieces of government I.D. on you during the Club Crawl.
No mention of a Passport for Non-Canadians, just that you must have 2 pieces of Govt issued ID

And seeing as it is the Stampede chances are going to be high there will be Non-Canadians at all events
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
Call company again and tell them you want money back. Link does not state valid or bring 2 pieces of id. Only says 2 pieces in FAQ. Then if they don't budge call credit card company. Most likely the company will not pay you back by saying it was the bouncer's discretion. These small student promotion companies are very good at screwing students over.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
With a policy like that why would anyone purchase from them? Just doesn't make sense to me unless someone is causing problems like fighting then yea I could see that happening.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Did you read all the fine print before you signed up ?

Did you meet this requirement from their website FAQ's page ?

No mention of a Passport for Non-Canadians, just that you must have 2 pieces of Govt issued ID

And seeing as it is the Stampede chances are going to be high there will be Non-Canadians at all events
Who carries two pieces of government ID at any time? All I have is my driver's license. Aside from a passport, what even is a second form of commonly held government ID?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
Piro21 wrote: Who carries two pieces of government ID at any time? All I have is my driver's license. Aside from a passport, what even is a second form of commonly held government ID?
Provincial health card, SIN card, immigration status card.

Just contact the credit card company and request a chargeback. The company did not provide the service your paid for and you have email proof that they denied you access (just ignore their conditions -- they are unreasonably restrictive).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Piro21 wrote: Who carries two pieces of government ID at any time? All I have is my driver's license. Aside from a passport, what even is a second form of commonly held government ID?
Agreed, especially when out of country.

Usually then I only carry my Passport & Drivers License... And if out on the town, then the Passport is probably locked up back in the Hotel Safe.

In fact the Govt recommends that citizens NOT CARRY freely share their SIN Card Info.
Although the OP has not answered my original Question in regards to his reading the FAQs or any T&Cs to know about the "so called requirement"... I do agree with the many others here who have said that if you cannot get satisfaction from the Promoter, then escalate with your CC co.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
blackstaffer wrote: OP, contact your credit card company and file a dispute with the transaction saying that they didn't provide the product/service you authorized and that you requested a refund from the merchant and they denied it.
THIS.

Don't listen to the "read the fine print" trolls, as no company can arbitrarily get around the credit card and consumer protection laws just by writing a pile of BS.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Press. "Paragraph 2" discretion is clearly meant for the drunk and disorderly rather than crap like this. That's the way it should be interpreted.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 21, 2016
506 posts
839 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Update: Scotia advised me to contact merchant directly for refund, they cannot chargeback, because they say I have no proof that I showed the bouncer my DL too. What the hell.

The point is, I have visited a couple of clubs in Calgary and not a single one had a problem with my ID except this one. I think I'll have to deal with this $70 loss and not bother to go with this again.
RFD Effect Is Real
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Still a really shi**y loss to take. FB/Twitter your experience at least.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
When I was in Chicago, I brought my passport to the nightclub because it is logical that bouncers r not experts at identifying fake ID from other countries.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
whizzzkid wrote: I am in a bit of a soup ATM. I bought this: https://www.ticketzone.com/event/9573/s ... y-july-8th and then when I went to the event the bouncer denied me entry on my out of country DL which is valid in Alberta. He demanded passport :-/ I do not carry my passport everywhere.

Turns out they will not refund me on this. This is their response:

Can I do anything about this?

Email ticketzone again asking for a refund and state very clearly that you presented a valid out of province photo ID driver's licence. Hopefully they'll send you the same response.

Take your new email that clearly states you presented an out of province driver's licence and their reply denying your refund - send this to xxx Scotia ** requesting a charge back saying this is proof a photo ID was presented

*** changed RBC to Scotia
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 11th, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Email ticketzone again asking for a refund and state very clearly that you presented a valid out of province photo ID driver's licence. Hopefully they'll send you the same response.

Take your new email that clearly states you presented an out of province driver's licence and their reply denying your refund - send this to RBC requesting a charge back saying this is proof a photo ID was presented
Op's mention Scotia.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: THIS.

Don't listen to the "read the fine print" trolls, as no company can arbitrarily get around the credit card and consumer protection laws just by writing a pile of BS.
Glad someone said it. I'm really sick of people who think some nebulous disclaimer absolving a company of everything under the sun, hidden on some obscure page nobody reads, is magically binding.

Chargeback is an excellent suggestion. I love sticking it to companies who don't uphold their end of the bargain. It's funny, they will fight you for days and days for a refund, but hit them with a chargeback and they do nothing.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Oct 11, 2012
78 posts
45 upvotes
Ontario
whizzzkid wrote: Update: Scotia advised me to contact merchant directly for refund, they cannot chargeback, because they say I have no proof that I showed the bouncer my DL too. What the hell.

The point is, I have visited a couple of clubs in Calgary and not a single one had a problem with my ID except this one. I think I'll have to deal with this $70 loss and not bother to go with this again.
This is a ridiculous response from Scotia. E.g. if you did a charge back on a package that was stolen from your doorstep, how can you prove to them that you did not actually receive the package?

It seems you got screwed by a bouncer, ticketzone and Scotia. I hope you give it one more shot!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5069 posts
3306 upvotes
whizzzkid wrote: Update: Scotia advised me to contact merchant directly for refund, they cannot chargeback, because they say I have no proof that I showed the bouncer my DL too. What the hell.

Personally if I feel like a credit card issuers doesn't "have my back" then they shouldn't have my business either. Maybe that's an extreme stance given the circumstances and other issuers would have done the same, but it would still put a bad taste in my mouth.

So far...
MBNA had my back on two occasions.
Amazon Chase Visa refunded me.
AMEX didn't so I dropped them.

In any case, sorry for the headache you're going through.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)