[Tidal] 6 months free streaming

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 11:57 pm
Tags:
Jun 4, 2015
16 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I think you were right. Tried with another email address and it worked!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1827 posts
755 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:14 am
Very cool. Thanks! 1/6 lol guess it doesn't matter to my ears and me. Very interesting. Btw used Bowers and Wilkins headphones plugged into an LG 6
I picked correctly 4 out of 6 uncompressed files. Oddly, I didn't get the Mozart selection, (probably from being cocky, after pegging the first three correctly). I also got the Jay-Z track wrong, which is ironic, since Tidal is his doing.

For reference, I was listening to this through AKG C50BT headphones via bluetooth. I'm 55 years old and also suffer from tinnitus, yet I can still tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed music. (Not blowing my own horn here, just sayin'). I was also listening in a quiet environment.
Would I shell out an extra $10 for the higher audio quality? Not a snowball's chance in Hell. If you are listening on a mobile device on a bus, there's no way it makes any sense whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4451 posts
1953 upvotes
Mississauga
laughingbrug wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 12:51 pm
I think you were right. Tried with another email address and it worked!
Good stuff!
Apr 18, 2005
269 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:03 pm
For reference, I was listening to this through AKG C50BT headphones via bluetooth.
Bluetooth is a compressed audio format, so you weren't hearing uncompressed CD-quality audio. You'll need to used wired headphones.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10560 posts
3836 upvotes
Quinoa wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:12 pm
Bluetooth is a compressed audio format, so you weren't hearing uncompressed CD-quality audio. You'll need to used wired headphones.
AptX sounds amazing over bluetooth.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Apr 18, 2005
269 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
SickBeast wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:21 pm
AptX sounds amazing over bluetooth.
Agreed. I stream Tidal HiFi via AptX Bluetooth to my stereo system at home. But the discussion was about CD quality vs. compressed audio, and I was just pointing out that Bluetooth (even AptX) is lower than CD quality. AptX is 352 kbps, which is higher than mp3 but lower than CD.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10560 posts
3836 upvotes
Quinoa wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:37 pm
Agreed. I stream Tidal HiFi via AptX Bluetooth to my stereo system at home. But the discussion was about CD quality vs. compressed audio, and I was just pointing out that Bluetooth (even AptX) is lower than CD quality. AptX is 352 kbps, which is higher than mp3 but lower than CD.
Yeah except the AKG C50BT headphones that @MrFrugal1 was referring to fully support AptX and for all we know he was listening to them with AptX enabled. AptX is so close to being transparent that most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1827 posts
755 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
SickBeast wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:44 pm
Yeah except the AKG C50BT headphones that @MrFrugal1 was referring to fully support AptX and for all we know he was listening to them with AptX enabled. AptX is so close to being transparent that most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference.
I'd like to note that regardless of the analogue audible end of things (that being whatever comes out of the speakers/headphones), the input starting point was different, at least to my ears. I could tell the difference between a compressed versus non-compressed format. despite what I was listening to the files with.
Would that difference be more pronounced on a $5000 audiophile system? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your ears.
Is it worth $10 per month to listen a near lossless stream on your mobile device while walking down a noisy street or on the subway? I'd say not.
Should we encourage every streaming service to offer the absolute highest possible audio quality? Most definitely. (Right after we shoot all the idiots who crush everything for the sake of loudness.. )
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10560 posts
3836 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:10 pm
I'd like to note that regardless of the analogue audible end of things (that being whatever comes out of the speakers/headphones), the input starting point was different, at least to my ears. I could tell the difference between a compressed versus non-compressed format.
Would that difference be more pronounced on a $5000 audiophile system? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your ears.
Is it worth $10 per month to listen a near lossless stream on your mobile device while walking down a noisy street or on the subway? I'd say not.
Should we encourage every streaming service to offer the absolute highest possible audio quality? Most definitely. (Right after we shoot all the idiots who crush everything for the sake of loudness.. )
I agree with that to an extent. If it were a $5 premium I would probably pay it. I definitely do notice a difference. I'm using an LG G6 phone with Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 bluetooth headphones via AptX. However I've gotten a year of free Tidal service so far due to the RFD free trial deals.

So far I've tried Spotify, Google Play Music, and Tidal and by far I like Tidal the best.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Apr 18, 2005
269 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been a paying subscriber to Tidal HiFi for the last 2 years, and I love it. For someone like me, who listens to a lot of music, $20 a month for unlimited streaming of their catalogue in CD quality is a bargain. I would happily pay $30 a month for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
2624 posts
411 upvotes
Markham
Quinoa wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:01 am
I've been a paying subscriber to Tidal HiFi for the last 2 years, and I love it. For someone like me, who listens to a lot of music, $20 a month for unlimited streaming of their catalogue in CD quality is a bargain. I would happily pay $30 a month for it.
Tidal HiFi includes MQA
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/arti ... at-is-MQA-

If one uses the desktop app, get the latest AudioQuest DragonFly - can play MQA

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-dis ... nfly-dacs/
May 14, 2015
17 posts
Toronto
Just got this deal, and immediately canceled... I see it says 'Your subscription will come to a full stop on 02.06.18' Is that February 6 or June 2?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1602 posts
187 upvotes
Thanks op, my Fido sponsored Spotify expired just yesterday and I was just thinking about what to do last night.
Nov 29, 2016
36 posts
3 upvotes
0,99$ / 3months on deezer

Download windows/mac app and we have hi-fi song!
Dec 30, 2002
88 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
FYI, I signed up for the free 6 months and upgraded to the HiFi subscription and activated the TIDAL Family. The subscription expiry was then bumped down to March 3 (3 months instead of 6 months).