• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2018 12:03 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5259 posts
1886 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Thanks OP! The 6 months free promo link still works!
I also noticed that they have a 50% off student discount for their HiFi plan making it $9.99/month. Might be useful for those that qualify.
I decided to go with the 3 month free HiFi option instead since I got new headphones and a new DAC.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Dec 29, 2013
405 posts
167 upvotes
Montr
I have an average audiophile sound system. Htpc to vlink to Nad t747 to Mirage towers.

I just upgraded my subscription to Hifi and set quality to Hifi then Master, but did not notice a clear improvement in sound quality compared to when I was on Premium. Everybody on internet is saying they hear a significant sound improvement going to Hifi. Why I did not ?

Update: never mind. I listened to well recorded tracks and they sound wonderful. I’m listening to tunes that I dont know I’d like or not but I just keep listening because the sound is so good
Last edited by Desperadude on Mar 6th, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2013
405 posts
167 upvotes
Montr
cheapmother wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 12:03 pm
How does this compare to say Spotify?
More or less the same. The best recorded tracks sound better with Tidal
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4230 posts
728 upvotes
great combo if u got the 100% 12months fido 3gb tablet plan promo!
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Dec 26, 2010
929 posts
333 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Great timing, my 5 month free google trial expires this month.
Too bad theres no google home support.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1445 posts
390 upvotes
Is it possible to delete credit card yet?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
2671 posts
443 upvotes
Markham
Desperadude wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 11:34 am
I have an average audiophile sound system. Htpc to vlink to Nad t747 to Mirage towers.

I just upgraded my subscription to Hifi and set quality to Hifi then Master, but did not notice a clear improvement in sound quality compared to when I was on Premium. Everybody on internet is saying they hear a significant sound improvement going to Hifi. Why I did not ?

Update: never mind. I listened to well recorded tracks and they sound wonderful. I’m listening to tunes that I dont know I’d like or not but I just keep listening because the sound is so good
U need a MQA-certified DAC to get the most from MQA
ANY DAC can play it. It just won’t see the entire hi-res portion of the file that MQA’s encapsulation has tucked away under the file’s noise floor.

https://darko.audio/2017/01/mqa-tidal-where-are-we-now/

AudioQuest DragonFly Black is not that expensive
https://darko.audio/2017/05/how-to-add- ... -blackred/
Apr 4, 2017
625 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Tidal offer podcast for offline streaming similar to Spotify?

Tony robins or financial strategies... etc...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1466 posts
1544 upvotes
ssjlancer wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 1:22 am
Great timing, my 5 month free google trial expires this month.
Too bad theres no google home support.
Go in and cancel subscription, I did that yesterday, and it said "Cancelled, last day XXXX".
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1466 posts
1544 upvotes
EH15 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 2:25 am
Is it possible to delete credit card yet?
Always use a prepaid card with such offers. I have one that has couple of dollars on it, and I always use it for these free offers, just in case I got billed, I would not care.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
May 28, 2009
95 posts
30 upvotes
Roll wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 3:30 am
U need a MQA-certified DAC to get the most from MQA
ANY DAC can play it. It just won’t see the entire hi-res portion of the file that MQA’s encapsulation has tucked away under the file’s noise floor.

https://darko.audio/2017/01/mqa-tidal-where-are-we-now/

AudioQuest DragonFly Black is not that expensive
https://darko.audio/2017/05/how-to-add- ... -blackred/
I am able to get 24/96 with Tidal using my Fiio X3ii which does not support MQA. You have to make sure you get the dedicated desktop application, go into settings, choose the appropriate output and enable "Use Exclusive Mode" and leave "Passthrough MQA" unchecked. If you have a DAC that supports MQA you can enable that last setting and get higher than 96 kHz if available.

The Dragonfly Black only supports up to 96 kHz anyway so I wouldn't recommend anyone go and buy it for the MQA support. There are also those who think there is no noticeable difference between 44.1 khz and 96 kHz, let alone 96 kHz and 192 kHz, but to each his own :)
Dec 29, 2013
405 posts
167 upvotes
Montr
Thanks for all the info on MQA. The Dragonfly indeed only goes to 96khz, and also it does only the second half of the decoding (according to what I read on internet). However I’d be willing to give it a try since apparently the analogue bypass mode on my Nad T747 yields very good sound.... but I use a subwoofer (2.1 system), so doing that I’d have to use the RCA input of my subwoofer, and figure out how to tune it using that input ....

Right now I really dont have time for all that ...

Also I dont have a good feeling about MQA. It does not seem to have a lot of support.