Expired Hot Deals

[Tidal] Tidal Premium/Hi-Fi 3 Months only for $0.99/$1.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 3:20 pm
Mar 11, 2013
282 posts
320 upvotes
Brampton
Can anyone confirm if tidal works with Alexa in Canada?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
8277 posts
1924 upvotes
Scarberia
Can you use this on google home or echo dot?cant sign up with stack cc wteff anyone else?
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3188 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:22 am
Tidal on iOS is very bad, most songs can’t be downloaded on iPhone, I don’t have any problems on android.
i ono what ur using but you can download any song and the app is really good on ios...
Jul 17, 2012
544 posts
196 upvotes
Kamloops
bigzinc10 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:05 pm
Anyone have hifi and notice a difference?
if you don't have a 2000 bucks dac then probably won't tell the difference. if just using any mobile phone no hifi is good enough.

i got 3 months free a month ago when there was this 6 month non hifi and 3 months hifi free deal.

overall for music recommendations itunes is way better also more complete music selection. tidal is pretty good but the recommendation regularly is not related to what i just listened.

what i just noticed is using this program called Audirvana for PC and hook up your tidal account and music sounded more "energetic". i just got the trial somehow expired after 1 day. probably buy it when it's on sale. kind pricy for a music app. but really sounded better from that than tidal out of box app.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
97 posts
80 upvotes
muscleking wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:57 am
if you don't have a 2000 bucks dac then probably won't tell the difference. if just using any mobile phone no hifi is good enough.

i got 3 months free a month ago when there was this 6 month non hifi and 3 months hifi free deal.

overall for music recommendations itunes is way better also more complete music selection. tidal is pretty good but the recommendation regularly is not related to what i just listened.

what i just noticed is using this program called Audirvana for PC and hook up your tidal account and music sounded more "energetic". i just got the trial somehow expired after 1 day. probably buy it when it's on sale. kind pricy for a music app. but really sounded better from that than tidal out of box app.
Tried Audirvana with Tidal just now, actually sounds noticeably better somehow, I like it but it is quite expensive.

Also those of you who are students, you can get half price off of Tidal after the promotion expires. I just needed to provide a few screenshots proving that I'm enrolled at Seneca College to get my discount.
Jul 17, 2012
544 posts
196 upvotes
Kamloops
lemon07r wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 12:31 am
Tried Audirvana with Tidal just now, actually sounds noticeably better somehow, I like it but it is quite expensive.

Also those of you who are students, you can get half price off of Tidal after the promotion expires. I just needed to provide a few screenshots proving that I'm enrolled at Seneca College to get my discount.
yeah right? you noticed it too. 100 bucks is small price to pay in audio. but being on here i want to get a deal on audirvana. lol.

the program does have some kind of special decoding to make it sound better from what i read. even playing regular flac sounded better compared to foobar. i am gonna put another copy of trial on my laptop to try a bit more before i decide to buy it.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1428 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Using the DT1990 Pro with Fiio K5, and when I was comparing the MQA files with the equivalent Spotify Premium/CD FLAC rips, it sounds like the MQA uses a different mastering process, giving it a different overall sound. This is not objectively better or worse. Tidal claims this is how the artist intended it to be, and I question how accurate this statement is.

The number of MQA albums are much smaller than you realize. Once you filter to the genres you do listen to, you really only end up with a few dozen overall. Best to test the trial and see your preference.

Comparing non-MQA files and Spotify Premium/CD FLAC rips, I cannot hear a noticeable difference.

The interface for Tidal was downright horrible compared to Spotify. The curation is nowhere near close to how Spotify does it. It could be due to the smaller album count, compared to Spotify.

What Tidal does well are music videos. The quality on the music videos are much improved over Youtube, even at 1080p. Still not quite to Blu-Ray levels though. I was very surprised at how good it can be though.

I gave Tidal a shot for a month and went back to Spotify Premium. Tidal is worth it if you already know what albums to listen to, or want to loop the newest Jay-Z/Beyonce album, but Spotify is king when it comes to recommendations.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6184 posts
1178 upvotes
Personally, I can tell the difference between normal and hi-fi....on KEF LS50 Wireless.
Last edited by cy on Dec 26th, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
97 posts
80 upvotes
DarkReaper wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 2:58 am
Using the DT1990 Pro with Fiio K5, and when I was comparing the MQA files with the equivalent Spotify Premium/CD FLAC rips, it sounds like the MQA uses a different mastering process, giving it a different overall sound. This is not objectively better or worse. Tidal claims this is how the artist intended it to be, and I question how accurate this statement is.

The number of MQA albums are much smaller than you realize. Once you filter to the genres you do listen to, you really only end up with a few dozen overall. Best to test the trial and see your preference.

Comparing non-MQA files and Spotify Premium/CD FLAC rips, I cannot hear a noticeable difference.

The interface for Tidal was downright horrible compared to Spotify. The curation is nowhere near close to how Spotify does it. It could be due to the smaller album count, compared to Spotify.

What Tidal does well are music videos. The quality on the music videos are much improved over Youtube, even at 1080p. Still not quite to Blu-Ray levels though. I was very surprised at how good it can be though.

I gave Tidal a shot for a month and went back to Spotify Premium. Tidal is worth it if you already know what albums to listen to, or want to loop the newest Jay-Z/Beyonce album, but Spotify is king when it comes to recommendations.
Im personally tempted to switch back to spoitfy or to try deezer after all the issues I've had with Tidal, and their horrible support. I'd like Tidal a lot if it wasn't such a buggy mess.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7059 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
DarkReaper wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 2:58 am

Spotify has something comparable to FLAC now? I thought they only offered 320kbps.
Feb 23, 2014
815 posts
341 upvotes
This is RFD. hardly the kind of group of people who spends money on truly remarkable audio. nearly no one will be able to hear a difference on their setup.