Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax

Tiger Direct Misleading Advertising

I and scads of other people attended the supposedly amazing sale at Tiger Direct based on this flyer:

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg19 ... direct.jpg

The doors were opened at 9pm and the markdowns didn't happen until 10pm.

We figured there was going to be some amazing deals on the LCD displays.

I and about 60 other people assumed that there was going to be at least one doorcrasher LCD (limited quantities of course) for $150, based on this "sample"

So much so, that the entire televison section of Tiger Direct was swamped with people protectly guarding their own LCD box in the event that it was going to be marked down to hot deal status.

The models on the floor were:
RCA refurb 32 inch.
Viewsonic 37 inch LCD
1 Viewsonic 32 LCD (same as the flyer)

So eventually people start getting a little crazy and start loading their carts
in anticipation of the hot deals that are going to be showered on us.

The end result (there was massive confusion) here are the final deals:

37' LCD -Was told by sales staff this was 489 -from what I understand this was a mistake and was not the case. Not sure on final price. It worked out to be more I'm guessing.

RCA 32 inch refurb. $489.00

Viewsonic 32' The one guy who managed to lay his hands on this had been waiting since 9pm right next to the only LCD Viewsonic 32' in the store.

Pandemonium starts when people start finding out that there are no Crazy Larry deals to be had.

There is not one $150 LCD in the store unless it's a 17 inch computer monitor.

Smart shopping with net you some decent LCDs that are not refurb for almost the same price.

The non refurbs, well, the deals just aren't there, I can't profess to be an expert in pricing, but I've seen similar deals for LCD's of the same size for in and around the same price in Walmart.

The 32' guy is rightfully very pissed off. Actually we all are, because nothing resembles a deal on LCD television displays at all.

Inexperienced woman manager decides not to placate him with a gift certificate, she immediately goes to ordering him out of the store.

Then she threatens to call police and then does so 3 seconds later.

The 32 inch guy was not to be budged from his position and as I left 3 police cars were rolling into Tiger Direct.

Shame on you Tiger Direct for what reeks of Bait and Switch style advertising.

I will not be purchasing anything from your stores nor will I be recommending them to anyone.
34 replies
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Kuurgen wrote: I and scads of other people attended the supposedly amazing sale at Tiger Direct based on this flyer:

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg19 ... direct.jpg

The doors were opened at 9pm and the markdowns didn't happen until 10pm.

We figured there was going to be some amazing deals on the LCD displays.

I and about 60 other people assumed that there was going to be at least one doorcrasher LCD (limited quantities of course) for $150, based on this "sample"

So much so, that the entire televison section of Tiger Direct was swamped with people protectly guarding their own LCD box in the event that it was going to be marked down to hot deal status.

The models on the floor were:
RCA refurb 32 inch.
Viewsonic 37 inch LCD
1 Viewsonic 32 LCD (same as the flyer)

So eventually people start getting a little crazy and start loading their carts
in anticipation of the hot deals that are going to be showered on us.

The end result (there was massive confusion) here are the final deals:

37' LCD -Was told by sales staff this was 489 -from what I understand this was a mistake and was not the case. Not sure on final price. It worked out to be more I'm guessing.

RCA 32 inch refurb. $489.00

Viewsonic 32' The one guy who managed to lay his hands on this had been waiting since 9pm right next to the only LCD Viewsonic 32' in the store.

Pandemonium starts when people start finding out that there are no Crazy Larry deals to be had.

There is not one $150 LCD in the store unless it's a 17 inch computer monitor.

Smart shopping with net you some decent LCDs that are not refurb for almost the same price.

The non refurbs, well, the deals just aren't there, I can't profess to be an expert in pricing, but I've seen similar deals for LCD's of the same size for in and around the same price in Walmart.

The 32' guy is rightfully very pissed off. Actually we all are, because nothing resembles a deal on LCD television displays at all.

Inexperienced woman manager decides not to placate him with a gift certificate, she immediately goes to ordering him out of the store.

The 32 inch guy was not to be budged from his position and as I left 3 police cars were rolling into Tiger Direct.

Shame on you Tiger Direct for what reeks of Bait and Switch style advertising.

I will not be purchasing anything from your stores nor will I be recommending them to anyone.
wow what a crappy way of attracting cx to your store
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
wow what douchbags. what happened to the 32' dude?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
I'm not sure, his friend seemed familiar with RFD when I mentioned the fight might be best won on the internet.

He looked pretty upset, he said "I'm not leaving until the police tell me to leave"

The manager didn't look to be open to any kind of negotiations.

I left, because I didn't want to be tasered.

:lol:

I want to add that the road conditions were pretty bad tonight, so a lot of people endured crappy driving conditions to attend this non sale that started at 10pm.

It's kind of like lining up at Honest Ed's for the free turkey and getting just a can of cranberries.
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
wow ppl actually thoght this monitor was 149.99 p/tax? lol
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Paolo wrote: wow ppl actually thoght this monitor was 149.99 p/tax? lol
Well why not? The flyer clearly says "Your price $149" down from $489.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5143 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond bc
Can't you sue them for easy money?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2005
2197 posts
139 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was there! I grabbed a 32" RCA refurb hoping that the price would be $149. When they announced the price to be $489 I was pretty upset. A refurb, non-returnable 32" for $489? Give me a break!

Can someone sue them for misleading advertisement?

Suddenly, tigerdirect.ca is on par with MDG!

BTW, the 37" viewsonic was $589 and I guess that's the only fair deal tonite, although you can actually get it cheaper here:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... =viewsonic
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
fatpiggy wrote: I was there! I grabbed a 32" RCA refurb hoping that the price would be $149. When they announced the price to be $489 I was pretty upset. A refurb, non-returnable 32" for $489? Give me a break!

Did you see what happened to the guy they called the police for?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
low low low how low can you go
was there actually any so called "never before seen" prices on any sale items? not just TVs?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
Kuurgen wrote: Inexperienced woman manager decides not to placate him with a gift certificate, she immediately goes to ordering him out of the store.

Markham location eh. Yeah she's pretty brutal. Gave me issues over a camera I was trying to get a refund on. She's very closed minded when it comes to the intention of a customer
Kuurgen wrote:
I left, because I didn't want to be tasered.

:lol:

HILARIOUS.
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
Feb 18, 2006
932 posts
66 upvotes
To bad a riot didn't break out, with everyone just picking up an lcd screen for free and walking out the door. They can't stop everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
importpsycho wrote: low low low how low can you go
was there actually any so called "never before seen" prices on any sale items? not just TVs?
Nope, the prices were nothing special.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1936 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
:!: Woah! That sounds like some production! Unbelievable the manager would call the police! :twisted: :twisted:
You can complain to the BBB for false advertising and TD head office for everything including/especially the manager.
And of course, post, post, post.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1936 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
jperras wrote: To bad a riot didn't break out, with everyone just picking up an lcd screen for free and walking out the door. They can't stop everyone.
I wanna go shopping with you! I like your problem solving skills. :lol:
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1718 posts
4 upvotes
What was their excuse? The flyer clearly says $149.

EDIT: Oh the flyer says SAMPLE. Man, that's really lame. If I went through all that trouble I'd probably torch the st--er....write a strongly worded letter >___>.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1402 posts
250 upvotes
mrG wrote: What was their excuse? The flyer clearly says $149.

EDIT: Oh the flyer says SAMPLE. Man, that's really lame. If I went through all that trouble I'd probably torch the st--er....write a strongly worded letter >___>.
But wouldn't SAMPLE mean "here's 1 of the many deals we have"?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
Nothing TD does surprises me. They advertise low prices on their web site and none of their retail stores carry the item advertised ie only available online where they can screw you with inflated shipping costs that defeat the deal.

Their rebates suck. It's a crapshoot whether you receive them or not.

Remember we can all speak with our wallets! Take your business elsewhwere.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)