Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

TigerDirect: Crucial m4 256GB 7mm SSD — $179

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2012 4:00 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal

[Canadian Tire] TigerDirect: Crucial m4 256GB 7mm SSD — $179

A decent SATA3 SSD at a great price, especially if you have an ultrabook, Lenovo x220 series, etc that requires a 7mm drive. NCIX has the 9.5mm version on sale for $185.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... No=2336435

vs. the Vertex 3: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storag ... -face-of/1
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
great price indeed. does anyone know if this can be used in a standard notebook that expect 9.5mm
Nov 26, 2003
892 posts
77 upvotes
gta
chimp wrote: great price indeed. does anyone know if this can be used in a standard notebook that expect 9.5mm
Depends on how ssd is held in place. The x220 has a mounting cage. Best to check your hdd bay to see mounting options.
May 28, 2012
939 posts
183 upvotes
Great pricing, but I am always hesitant about "online only" retailers like TigerDirect and Newegg, because if something goes wrong, I can't just pop into a physical store and say "hey, there's a problem." and get some help right away.

That being said, this deal is great! And it's more compatible than the regular m4 due to thinness!

One thing I think Crucial can do better though is the inclusion of accessories, but I guess that's what makes them competitive in pricing.

jar240 wrote: That's V1... the V2 model is $189 @ newegg.ca with free shipping. Better deal:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820148526
Not if you want to get one for an ultrabook. 9.5 mm won't fit, while the TD one is 7mm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
AlmostAscended wrote: Great pricing, but I am always hesitant about "online only" retailers like TigerDirect and Newegg, because if something goes wrong, I can't just pop into a physical store and say "hey, there's a problem." and get some help right away.

That being said, this deal is great! And it's more compatible than the regular m4 due to thinness!

One thing I think Crucial can do better though is the inclusion of accessories, but I guess that's what makes them competitive in pricing.

Not if you want to get one for an ultrabook. 9.5 mm won't fit, while the TD one is 7mm
Never deal with newegg but I bought the notorious Vertex 2 from tigerdirect before which died in a short period of time and all I need is to request and RMA and send the drive back and get full refund. Well I have to pay shipping but not a big deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
AlmostAscended wrote: Great pricing, but I am always hesitant about "online only" retailers like TigerDirect and Newegg, because if something goes wrong, I can't just pop into a physical store and say "hey, there's a problem." and get some help right away.

Why not use TD or NE for PM purposes to a brick and mortar store like NCIX or CC?

Dave
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DavidY wrote: Why not use TD or NE for PM purposes to a brick and mortar store like NCIX or CC?
Because neither NCIX nor CC list the CT256M4SSD1 (7mm) model. All they have is the CT256M4SSD2 (9.5mm) model.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 28, 2012
939 posts
183 upvotes
bylo wrote: Because neither NCIX nor CC list the CT256M4SSD1 (7mm) model. All they have is the CT256M4SSD2 (9.5mm) model.
This.

That's another issue with NCIX and ME. granted, NCIX selection is more extensive, but in a rare case such as this, nothing can be done. I would PM if I could. More often than not ME doesn't carry something that's on sale if it's not a "mainstream" item. For example, ME doesn't carry Seasonic and XFX power supplies.

chimp wrote: Never deal with newegg but I bought the notorious Vertex 2 from tigerdirect before which died in a short period of time and all I need is to request and RMA and send the drive back and get full refund. Well I have to pay shipping but not a big deal.
That's the problem, paying for shipping. After paying for shipping, I pay out the same, if not more than the regular price stuff, which negates the point of a sale completely, not to mention the hassle of correspondence and shipping.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
AlmostAscended wrote: That's the problem, paying for shipping. After paying for shipping, I pay out the same, if not more than the regular price stuff, which negates the point of a sale completely, not to mention the hassle of correspondence and shipping.
That is assuming you get a lemon which if happens is a hassle whether I am getting from BB or TD :-)

Luckily, the OCZ is the only lemon I got for the past 2 years or so(ordered stuff from NCIX/ME/Dell/TD etc.)
May 28, 2012
939 posts
183 upvotes
chimp wrote: That is assuming you get a lemon which if happens is a hassle whether I am getting from BB or TD :-)

Luckily, the OCZ is the only lemon I got for the past 2 years or so(ordered stuff from NCIX/ME/Dell/TD etc.)
With electronics, you can never be too sure. I'd rather not take the chance, which is why i stay the hell away from OCZ. I'd rather pay a bit more for reliability and quality than deal with them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
AlmostAscended wrote: With electronics, you can never be too sure. I'd rather not take the chance, which is why i stay the hell away from OCZ. I'd rather pay a bit more for reliability and quality than deal with them.
stay away from OCZ is definitely correct though the saving I have so far comparing to buying from brick and mortar can cover quite some lemon ship back cost :-)

BTW, I spent more time waiting at future shop (when I tried to exchange of a galaxy ace which has dead pixel) than I filled in an RMA and pack and ship my OCZ. So hassle wise, brick and mortar doesn't have any advantage given my experience. It is free(as I don't drive so no extra fuel cost) though.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/retailstores/indexca.asp

Those look like physical stores to me.
If it's because there's no physical store near you, we could all argue that we don't always have an NCIX or ME nearby to many of us either.
This is a great deal especially for a 7mm drive. Selection of these are pretty limited right now.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
goofball wrote: This is a great deal especially for a 7mm drive. Selection of these are pretty limited right now.
+1

I just ordered one for the ThinkPad T430s I ordered a few days ago.

FWIW this SSD was on sale at TD in May for $210. It's currently selling for US$180 on TD's US website so there's no Canadian premium. (Although the US deal includes free shipping for which I got charged $6.37 in Canada. OTOH I scored some AirMiles.)
veni, vidi, Visa
May 28, 2012
939 posts
183 upvotes
goofball wrote: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/retailstores/indexca.asp

Those look like physical stores to me.
If it's because there's no physical store near you, we could all argue that we don't always have an NCIX or ME nearby to many of us either.
This is a great deal especially for a 7mm drive. Selection of these are pretty limited right now.
Everyone's situations are different. I live in BC, so obviously TD is considered a "only-only" retailer to me. On the other hand, I have physical access to NCIX and ME should I ever need to. Like I said, everyone's situation is different, and I am just stating my point of view.

With the shipping prices, I might as well go pick up the NCIX deal as they come up to be about the same, thickness is not an issue because I am getting one for a new desktop, and my HP laptop supports 9.5mm should I ever need to change to it, so yea.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
AlmostAscended wrote: Everyone's situations are different. I live in BC, so obviously TD is considered a "only-only" retailer to me. On the other hand, I have physical access to NCIX and ME should I ever need to. Like I said, everyone's situation is different, and I am just stating my point of view.
I am not against that and I am in vancouver so accessing NCIX/ME is quite handy too and I would in general use them :-)

Just trying to clarify that after all these years of e-commerce(they have to sharpen their logistics to stay in business), an online only shop can be just as good so long they have good reputation. Logistics wise, I found future shopt is pretty bad.

However, PM is something I don't like to do as that given my experience with say NCIX is not as smooth as I would like. I ended up paying a few bucks more for my M4 when trying to PM last year(forgot if it was TD or NE).

IOW, if the deal is from a reputable seller, I would just get it and brick and mortar or not would not be a concern for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2107 posts
1719 upvotes
Vancouver
ahhhhh this is exactly what I was looking for. The 7mm version for my X220! However, it sucks that i can't PM at ME or NCIX :( Shipping seems decent though I guess

I can also pick up the $185 ncix one and just remove the spacer though
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
zatnaf wrote: What's the diff between V1 and V2 anyway?
i don't believe there is a revision iteration. it's only about form factor with this drive so far. it's more accurate to think of the different models as 7mm and 9.5mm. firmware updates can be done by the end user.

they are otherwise so far the same.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)