Tigerdirect EXTENDED WARRANTY SCAM!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2009 9:08 am
Oct 29, 2009
46 posts
1 upvote
scarboro

Tigerdirect EXTENDED WARRANTY SCAM!!!

I purchased an Acer Aspire 5920G from Tigerdirect on October 20, 2008. I purchased that stupid scam extended warranty they offered me because the salesperson said he would give a good deal. :mad:

The laptop stopped working 3 weeks ago. The fan made a loud grinding noise, system bluescreened and shut off. Now it won't turn on.

I went to TigerDirect, they told me to call this number for Bankers Warranty Group (BWG), its the company who they contract the warranty service to.

I called BWG, they said the product is not registered with them and they have no record of my warranty. I was so angry, I have it on my receipt, 2 years extended warranty from BWG. They told me to go to the place of purchase and do service and repair there.

I went back to TigerDirect, they told me to call the manufacturer for warranty since I was past the 30 day return period.

I called Acer, they told me to go back to the store I purchased it from because I was past their warranty period.

I go back to TigerDirect and demanded to speak to a manager. She asked one of her salespeople to show me the newer laptops they have on sale. I refused, I told her I bought an extended warranty and they refuse to do anything. I told her that they said the warranty is not in their system. She responded with "tough luck" and she just left.

At this point I am really angry. I paid $300 for an extended warranty that doesn't exist. I have the warranty card I received in the mail and BWG refuses to look at it, TigerDirect refuses to look at it. I have a broken laptop which I need for school.

My sister has another laptop, a Toshiba and I have an Acer desktop, both purchased at TigerDirect, both having extended warranties. I really do not know what I will do if they break. I have invested so much money in those computers only to have it wasted by a non-existant service TigerDirect sells.

I really do not know what to do. I am certainly not paying a god damn thing to get this laptop fixed. I paid $300 for that warranty!

I contacted TigerDirect's head office, they said take it up with the manufacturer or call BWG.

What am I supposed to do now? TigerDirect refuses to do anything, warranty company refuses to do anything. I have a useless laptop which I will need to use in a little over a week.

I am very fed up with TigerDirect, I have been having so many god damn issues with them lately its not even funny. I wish that company would just die!!!!

24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
I would open a can of worms now since you do have documentation and receipts which gives you a upper hand in this situation. Write a professional (but very nasty) e-mail to the VP, CEO, etc of Tiger Direct and CC to BWG. I would also open a case with the Better Business Bureau.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4219 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
$300 warranty on an Acer laptop??
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
46 posts
1 upvote
scarboro
No Frills wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 1:06 pm
salesperson said it was originally $450, he reduced it to $300

But one of the employees is a member of RFD, "hydrogen" said this salesperson is a liar and a thief. So I think he lied about the price to fill his quota.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3142 posts
218 upvotes
St. John's
No Frills wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 1:06 pm
I lol'ed

OP got taken by the oldest sales trick in the book, artificially raise the price then discount it so the ignorant customer thinks they're getting a deal..."hey bro, I'll sell you this AMAZING warranty...it usually goes for $1,000 but for you, only $300"
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3142 posts
218 upvotes
St. John's
I'll even go further with this one:

The OP broke 3 laws on RFD:

1. Don't buy from Tiger Direct
2. Don't buy the extended warranty
3. Don't buy Acer
Let's hug it out
Flickr
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
46 posts
1 upvote
scarboro
Blackmajik wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 1:02 pm
I would open a can of worms now since you do have documentation and receipts which gives you a upper hand in this situation. Write a professional (but very nasty) e-mail to the VP, CEO, etc of Tiger Direct and CC to BWG. I would also open a case with the Better Business Bureau.
But doesn't the BBB sleep with corporations? So I doubt the bosses in TigerDirect or BWG will do anything.
RCGA wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:00 pm
I lol'ed

OP got taken by the oldest sales trick in the book, artificially raise the price then discount it so the ignorant customer thinks they're getting a deal..."hey bro, I'll sell you this AMAZING warranty...it usually goes for $1,000 but for you, only $300"
Isn't that illegal? If the BBB is useless who can I go to? Will york regional police do anything?
RCGA wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:12 pm
I'll even go further with this one:

The OP broke 3 laws on RFD:

1. Don't buy from Tiger Direct
2. Don't buy the extended warranty
3. Don't buy Acer
If only Acer has extended warranties, then I would never buy this BWG crap. and I most certainly won't buy an Acer again.

I am going to go to the Markham location after New Years, find Mr. Raymond Lo if he still works there, tell him I need to purchase a lot of stuff such as computers, TV, cables, and whatever, preferably totalling over $2000 and then return it instantly as soon as its rung up on my credit card. I will do this for a week just to piss them off and for revenge for wasting all my time and money on their stupid store. They damn well deserve it!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4219 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
I just never thought an Acer was worth $300, let alone the warranty.

Don't spend over $2K there for spite, they could lay another one on you when it backfires.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
46 posts
1 upvote
scarboro
No Frills wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 3:54 pm
I just never thought an Acer was worth $300, let alone the warranty.

Don't spend over $2K there for spite, they could lay another one on you when it backfires.
But don't returns hurt a stores profits?
Apr 5, 2006
370 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Since you have all the receipts and made an effort to resolve it... I say Small Claims court because $300 isn`t easy to let go. Extended from TigerDirect.. that's a joke right, Is BWG even certified? The only extended warranty I'll ever purchase is from oem like Lenovo, HP and Dell(they replace my buddy's whole laptop).
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
1971 posts
502 upvotes
MTL
EXS100 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 3:59 pm
But don't returns hurt a stores profits?
Uhhh... Really really bad idea:

1. Didn't something called "restocking fee" come to mind?
2. Large, "unusual" transactions might trip your credit card company's protection measures if it's something outside of what they have as your typical spending habits (ie: they lock your card until you call them).

I don't think returns affect their profits. You probably wouldn't get a full refund and the item is still somewhat resalable (or they would refund it).

Anyway, you can technically sue both TigerDirect. BWG says they have nothing on file, meaning that the ball would technically stop at TigerDirect. You bought a product for them and it's up to them to prove to you that it is legit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
5607 posts
615 upvotes
Mate, just go to small claims. You shouldn't have problems getting your 300 back for warranty, or who knows, maybe the full price back for the Acer + warranty, depending on the judge.
May 31, 2005
479 posts
27 upvotes
the other warranty route you can try is the credit card extended warranty since both acer and tiger say it's beyond their automatic warranty period.

mastercard has it. I believe visa and amex also have it.

give the card company a call if you bought it on credit.
Dec 23, 2009
276 posts
2 upvotes
Hamilton
PM me I can do something about it, I use to work there and know the managers very well. If you want I can give u my number and we can talk over the phone. Ask me anything you want to know about tigerdirect and their warrantys and idiot sales people that do not know what the hell they're talking about and just bullsh*t their sale. I got laid off because I would not do so. Shows you how they do business. (Not the managers fault, it was head office. which is ran by Africans that EVERYONE hates.)
× < >