Shopping Discussion

Tigerdirect EXTENDED WARRANTY SCAM!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2009 9:08 am
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
It does not matter whose Extended Warranty. Just don't buy any.

May be it can give you some 'protection' but you never know if you will ever able to exercise it. It is MORE headache to have extended warranty than you don't. You almost always need to fight for it and regardless if they fix it or not, you always lose one way or the other.

It is much faster and better to just pay somebody to fix it or to buy a new one.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
EXS100 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 12:45 pm
If only Acer has extended warranties, then I would never buy this BWG crap. and I most certainly won't buy an Acer again.

I am going to go to the Markham location after New Years, find Mr. Raymond Lo if he still works there, tell him I need to purchase a lot of stuff such as computers, TV, cables, and whatever, preferably totalling over $2000 and then return it instantly as soon as its rung up on my credit card. I will do this for a week just to piss them off and for revenge for wasting all my time and money on their stupid store. They damn well deserve it!!!
They will be very happy if you do that because there is a 15% restocking fee when you return it. $300 each time you do that. You will be their best customer for selling you nothing.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5371 posts
355 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I can't imagine an Acer laptop being that expensive, and $300 is probably half the cost of the computer? That's quite a lot considering extended warranties are usually worthless.

Inflating the original price to make sales price more attractive is a trick but not illegal. It's only illegal if they misrepresent the actual price you pay.

Not all credit cards offer extended warranties, and you really shouldn't resort to using that since you already paid for extended coverage.

I am not surprised by the attitude of the staff. Too many bad stories about incompetent people working there.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
46 posts
1 upvote
scarboro
Phen0m22 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 7:20 pm
PM me I can do something about it, I use to work there and know the managers very well. If you want I can give u my number and we can talk over the phone. Ask me anything you want to know about tigerdirect and their warrantys and idiot sales people that do not know what the hell they're talking about and just bullsh*t their sale. I got laid off because I would not do so. Shows you how they do business. (Not the managers fault, it was head office. which is ran by Africans that EVERYONE hates.)
You worked at the Markham one?
number8888 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 9:31 pm
I can't imagine an Acer laptop being that expensive, and $300 is probably half the cost of the computer? That's quite a lot considering extended warranties are usually worthless.

Inflating the original price to make sales price more attractive is a trick but not illegal. It's only illegal if they misrepresent the actual price you pay.
Apparently thats how Mr. Raymond Lo operates.
gman wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 9:16 pm
They will be very happy if you do that because there is a 15% restocking fee when you return it. $300 each time you do that. You will be their best customer for selling you nothing.
I thought it doesn't apply as long as it isnt opened.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
EXS100 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 10:50 pm
I thought it doesn't apply as long as it isnt opened.
Actually, it is worse than 15% restocking fee. Although it says Tigerdirect.com, this is found in tigerdirect.ca web site. I believe I see similar policy in store.
When and why are restocking fees applied? How much is deducted when a return is subject to a restocking fee?
Returns of NON-DEFECTIVE items or products missing components that are returnable by TigerDirect.com to product manufacturers may, at TigerDirect.com's sole discretion, be accepted for return. NON-DEFECTIVE RETURNS MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 15% RE-STOCKING FEE and such returns will be for store credit or refund at TigerDirect.com's sole discretion within 30 days of original invoice date. Please call us at 800-800-8300 if you have questions about which products are returnable, which products may be subject to a restocking fee or for an explanation of circumstances under which a restocking fee may be charged.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1326 posts
16 upvotes
Definitely take this one to court. I would actually get a class action suit going if you can. Maybe more people have this issue and they think they're alone. TigerDirect should be out of business. I don't know how they survive.
Jan 16, 2009
242 posts
11 upvotes
It's funny that I started hearing Tiger Direct ads on the FAN590. I find their advertisers are almost exclusively scam-type companies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 1:06 pm
$300 warranty on an Acer laptop??
I agree. Walmart had a 2GB, 160GB emachines (made by Acer) notebook going for $348. $300 is a bit excessive for a warranty.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1153 posts
105 upvotes
This might've been a few years ago, but didn't a canadian TV broadcasting station regularly host a show where they help victims of unprofessional business practices? I think they approached companies with a camera and mic and basically investigated the situation and tried to resolve it. I forgot the name a long time ago......hopefully someone here remembers
× < >