• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:43 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8070 posts
1262 upvotes

Tights with shorts in the gym

I have noticed more men in the gym and pro athletes wearing tights with shorts on top. Seems to be an emerging look.

Interested to know what people think? I kind of like it and think it might be more comfortable than track pants for colder days.
60 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I consider this a "classic" look, and not an "emerging" look. It is just "layering". Another example would be wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt under a short-sleeved t-shirt.

I saw a guy today wearing tights under shorts running at the track. I wore a baselayer under my track pants because this is warmer.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1424 posts
364 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I've seen men wear tights at the gym with nothing over them.

Is this a new trend?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8070 posts
1262 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 12:13 pm
I've seen men wear tights at the gym with nothing over them.
I don't think I feel comfortable doing that for obvious reasons.

I'm not a fan of track pants as they kind of flop around when I'm on weight machines but I wear them on cold day. Shorts are kind of cold in the winter, especially for the first 20-30 minutes.

Under Armour has some nice men's base layer tights I was looking at - quite a selection actually. Never noticed before.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
#FirstWorldProblems

Why care what others wear?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16974 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA West
It could be to prevent their bodies from 'cooling down' as quickly, after warming up. This could actually help prevent injury. Supposedly compression tights help in circulation and recovery after exercise, but the scientific jury is still out on that.

Lastly, tights could be good if you are a germophobe.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jan 13, 2007
376 posts
30 upvotes
Barrie
OR..... Some guys are just real POSERS because Pro Athletes wear them
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8070 posts
1262 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 10:40 pm
It could be to prevent their bodies from 'cooling down' as quickly, after warming up. This could actually help prevent injury. Supposedly compression tights help in circulation and recovery after exercise, but the scientific jury is still out on that.

Lastly, tights could be good if you are a germophobe.
I have read / heard of some of the potential benefits of compression - probably written by Under Armour. LOL.

I am no pro-athlete but I do work out 3 times a week and I do spend some money on decent work-out clothing. This time of year is tough as it's cool in the gym before you get warmed up even with the heat on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8070 posts
1262 upvotes
xeryusdvirus wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:32 pm
OR..... Some guys are just real POSERS because Pro Athletes wear them
There are always posers in every gym - the regulars all know who they are though. Most nights it's the same pool of 30 or so that are in there.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
i do this cux i think it looks cool Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Sep 20, 2015
12 posts
Toronto, ON
I wear shorts over tights quite regularly for running, working out and baseball in the spring and fall. It's comfortable, and like some have said it has some benefits and keeps things in place when exercising.

There used to be a stigma with men wearing tights or leggings but I think that's kind of gone unless you really showing off certain areas too much.

That said I prefer shorts and summer - can't wait for winter to be over!!
Dec 16, 2015
710 posts
301 upvotes
Canada
I seen men wearing nothing down there
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
On TMZ, they talked about how they could see stuff on guys when they're doing the leg press.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8070 posts
1262 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 2:06 pm
On TMZ, they talked about how they couldi see stuff on guys when they're doing the leg press.
Ah.. Ya. I always wear sports underwear at the gym. Never want to be exhibiting anything. Women have those issue with upper body parts I think.
Aug 25, 2015
855 posts
185 upvotes
Montreal, QC
i usually wear tights under shorts when i'm running. helps with circulation. the only time when i'm not wearing it is if its really humid outside. for any other kind of workout, only shorts

track pants are too annoying for me as they don't fit as tights would so they get in the way too much